BROWSE & AUTO RESIZE

Status
Not open for further replies.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SW Forida
From what I understand this forum use to have the picture posting feature like now used for the avatar posting. Hit browse, post a picture, and it is auto resized and posted. Can this feature be reactivateded or added? Anyone else have an opinion? Maybe someone that is computer savey can set up a pole on this matter and get a general feeling. I for one would vote for it and think it would be easier and less complicated. If it is not a financial issue, maybe evern both options could be available for those that like the other methods.
Josh could you reply, thank you.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I would love this feature. When ever I want to post a picture I have to load them on to Photobucket and wait for it to load, and then half the time photobucket doesn't work. It would be so much easier to just browse my own photo's and post them.

Josh

Ask questions, share answers, talk torts!
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
When starting a new thread, everyone should have the option to upload and attach photos directly from their computer. There is, however, a limit on the number of megabytes you can upload. For this reason a lot of folks use Tinypic.com or Photobucket. If you want to add a photo to a reply in an existing thread, click the "Reply" button at the bottom of any post in that thread. A new reply page will load and you should have an option to upload files/photos from there.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Josh said:
When starting a new thread, everyone should have the option to upload and attach photos directly from their computer. There is, however, a limit on the number of megabytes you can upload. For this reason a lot of folks use Tinypic.com or Photobucket. If you want to add a photo to a reply in an existing thread, click the "Reply" button at the bottom of any post in that thread. A new reply page will load and you should have an option to upload files/photos from there.

Maybe I was not clear, I was trying to ask if we could upload directly from our picture card and avoid Tinypic/photobucket, under browse and have our pictures resized for the forum. One step type thing. Thanks for the reply. Greg.

terryo said:
I would love this feature. When ever I want to post a picture I have to load them on to Photobucket and wait for it to load, and then half the time photobucket doesn't work. It would be so much easier to just browse my own photo's and post them.

Exactly, that is what I wanted to say. Thanks Terryo.

Stev0623

5 Year Member
I would LOVE this feature, as I use photobucket and this would cut out an entire step!!

I'm not sure if it would be a bandwidth issue or not though?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I'd love to get the auto-resize feature back, but I don't understand how that works technically speaking. I hate having to click on something to see a pic. I like it when the pic is just visible in the post (but not GIANT size like my recent ones).

I just figured out today how to resize on tinypic.com. You just hit the "Resize" tab after you "Choose File", but before you "UPLOAD NOW!"

zzzdanz

5 Year Member
Boston
I just browse my pics and post, but computer stupid so don't know how to re-size them.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
I usually try to READ about what's being asked before responding.. and even then there is often misunderstanding. In case anyone hasn't noticed I try to stay with the original post UNLESS an analogy/example will make it easier to understand. Then again a lot of times peeps don't really make their Q? clear or don't give enough info for "us" [ that may have REAL experience ] to be able to help. With this in mind:

It sounds like some are wanting to "restore" what did exist before changes.. and some want to make what we have [ now ] easier without doing their part first!

Most likely [ among other reasons ] Josh changed 'servers'? because of [ BANDWIDTH? ] available space.. because of shear numbers of those that have joined. During ANY change there is a give and take = we get but have to give.

ANALOGY: sometimes we acquire tortoises that may need EXTRA attention to get them healthy.. and sometimes they are healthy but cost more UPFRONT! ONLY to find that the "cheaper" one costs more [ eventually or ] almost if not immediately.. not to mention the stress on the tortoise and the keeper too! EITHER WAY.. we have to pay the price! We have to do OUR part first.. eventually and ALWAYS!!!

So back to the original post:

I for one don't mind doing the extra stuff UP FRONT- resizing FIRST [ my pics are often 5-6 MP when saved to a folder ].. and there are a number of ways to do that ( but still leaving them "hi-res" enough so they can be seen with more detail ). SECOND saving to PhotoBucket, etc.
THIRD posting directly onto the forum to be seen "screen-size" but not bigger.. WITH the option to click below to view full size.

Of course we can always post a link to our PhotoBucket, etc. album if we choose to.

In conclusion - I am willing to do the extra steps before the pics are posted so they can be seen immediately.. which makes it more convenient for everyone to view. I DO NOT like to click on links to see the pics.. that to me is an inconvenience to everyone. AND still the pics most likely are small and can't be viewed any other way. OR peeps have to be willing to read and learn how to do their part.. to make it more convenient for others. AND we that do have REAL experience must be willing to help those that are willing to TAKE THE TIME to learn. { I and a few others here haven't grown up with this new hi-tech stuff :p .. remember.. we've had to learn too! }

BOTTOM-LINE.. let's restore the auto-resize/software that allows us to post for all to see with the option to "FULL SIZE" if we like.

Josh does his part.. we do our part.. everybody should be happy that way. Doesn't really matter how it works as long as it does.

Like keeping our torts.. we have to do our part FIRST/everyday to enjoy to the fullest.

TEK

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
The auto-resize feature has been turned back on. We'll see how the server deals with the load but it should be okay. I turned off this feature when the "Loading please wait" problem was at it's apex. It looks like we're still going to need to move again soon but this next move should fix all our bandwidth and memory problems.
As for uploading photos directly to Tortoise Forum (and not through photobucket, tinypic, etc), it's definitely possible but is likely to be moderately expensive in terms of software (there's a great script that we could use but it's $150/yr) and will definitely require a bigger, better, and faster server.

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
OK, are you going to change things inorder to upload photos directly to Tortoise Forum and not through photobucket, tinypic, etc.? And if Yes, possibly when?

Josh

TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Redlands, CA
Yes, uploading directly is likely to be an option in the future. However, it is months down the road at best.

Redfoot NERD

10 Year Member!
Tennessee
Ya dun guud Josh.. buddy -
BOWDOWN.gif
--
36_2_25.gif

See how it works now -

Early '05 -

AABUTTERSCOTCH.jpg

Almost 4 years later -