Brumating Hermann's

Mantoise

Location (City and/or State)
Berghem, Italy
Howdy, mates. A few months ago I made a post of two hermanns that I was unsure to give to a refuge or adopt and I decided to adopt them! Now brumation is coming and I would like to know how should I prepare them. This is their first time for all I know.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Most of us don't recommend brumating the first year unless you have had them for at least 6 months to know for sure they are healthy and can survive it. Specially if they came from not so good situation or if you are housing them together. Being kept in a pair is very stressful and that alone can kill them.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Howdy, mates. A few months ago I made a post of two hermanns that I was unsure to give to a refuge or adopt and I decided to adopt them! Now brumation is coming and I would like to know how should I prepare them. This is their first time for all I know.
Here you go:

dutchess1990

Kankakee, il.
As the one person said about brumation the first year. I don't know if this is good, but I keep mine in her indoor closure. I put in lots of hay and a box wit no bottom, kind of like a cave. Then I leave her alone. She usually goes in and sleeps until 🌼 ng. I don't put her in any cold places. I figure it is a little safer that way. And if I hear her moving around I put some food in there. I also keep a water bowl with water so if she decides to come out she can bathe and drink. She will come out sometimes for a couple of days then disappears for weeks

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
As the one person said about brumation the first year. I don't know if this is good, but I keep mine in her indoor closure. I put in lots of hay and a box wit no bottom, kind of like a cave. Then I leave her alone. She usually goes in and sleeps until 🌼 ng. I don't put her in any cold places. I figure it is a little safer that way. And if I hear her moving around I put some food in there. I also keep a water bowl with water so if she decides to come out she can bathe and drink. She will come out sometimes for a couple of days then disappears for weeks
This is not safe. It is very dangerous, unnatural, and you are lucky the tortoise has survived.

Please read this thread so you will better understand what is going on and what to do:

Questions are welcome. We are here to help. Please don't feel insulted in any way. Many people just don't know about this sort of thing, and that can cause harm to their beloved pets. We are just trying to prevent that harm.