Bubble near neck?

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
A person in a tort group posted this picture of her hatchling and said the sides of his neck are puffy.

That has some to do with the location of their lungs correct? or is it something she should be worried about? It's not hard it's soft.

Hers a pic...ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446473050.150186.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446473111.165827.jpg

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
A person in a tort group posted this picture of her hatchling and said the sides of his neck are puffy.

That has some to do with the location of their lungs correct? or is it something she should be worried about? It's not hard it's soft.

Hers a pic...View attachment 154385View attachment 154386

It wiuld be better if a couple pics would be posted of the tortoise standing, supporting its own w3ight...and looking at where yiu oointed out.

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Metro Detroit
POSSIBLE ABCESS? Opinions please.

Ok looking at these new pictures it does appear to be closer to the neck than the lung area. :/ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446508548.376257.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1446508558.322434.jpg

Aunt Caffy

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Texas
I've looked up some stuff on different reptile websites. It sounds like an abscess or possibly goiter. I see that you don't have access to a veterinarian, so I'm not sure what can be done.

Prairie Mom

Send @Yvonne G a Pm with a link to your post. She gets so many alerts, I bet she just missed it. I'm certain she'll respond. I've sent her plenty of conversations.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It's probably just an abscess. The tortoise may have gotten a little sliver that became infected. I think goiter is towards the front of the throat, under the chin.

Pearly

5 Year Member
Central Texas, Austin area
Thyroid? Goiter? Anyone?
This looks like a side of a neck, anatomical structures that when swollen/enlarged in this area would rather be lymph nodes. Thyroid/goiter in mammals is in front side of neck over the trachea. If not swollen lymph node, then abscess?... or tumor?... Whatever it is, it's likely to be changing on daily bases if not faster. I hope some tort rescue of vet medicine people chime in to help along since you can't get the animal to the clinic. Hope this resolves quickly and painlessly