Bubbly nose

TortillaTheTortioise

Location (City and/or State)
N/A
Im really upset, as today I was feeding tortilla and I saw he was blowing bubbles out of his nose and wiping it onto his leg as well. He ate some sow thistle and a tiny piece of spinach a few hours ago and was outside but I took him inside because the weather is not great. He will blow bubbles out of his nose after a bath but it will go away quick and he didn't drink today so it can't be from that. He has clicky breathing as well :( but it doesn't sound clicky every breath only every few when he blows bubbles

All these symptoms happened in less than 2 hours, is that possible? He was fine yesterday and this morning.

His head it too small to spray nasal spray and it will go in his eyes and inside his shell. I don't know what to do, I've got him inside now near his heat lamp(35°C).

@CarolM
@Yvonne G
@Sterant
@Tom

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
Also forgot to mention it happened when he was swallowing, like his mouth was sticky or something. But he ate no food that was a sticky consistency.

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Did he blow bubbles when he was eating?

What substrate do you use?

Is the discharge clear or is it thick and cloudy?

Keep temps nice and toasty.

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
Did he blow bubbles when he was eating?

What substrate do you use?

Is the discharge clear or is it thick and cloudy?

Keep temps nice and toasty.

he wasn't blowing bubbles when he was eating, it's a clear discharge, not think but runny. I use a potting soil and grass as a bedding. It's not very sandy or dusty

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hmmm, I generally would not overly worry as of yet. If he stops eating, becomes lethargic and sluggish, bubbles become more frequent and thick then I would not hurt to get him checked over by an exotic vet. I would give him an extra warm bath daily and keep him warm.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
If this was a one time event with no other symptoms, then my guess would be that he ate something disagreeable. Maybe a bug, or a bite of something that tasted awful. In any case, warm temps and daily warm soaks are my recommendation.

Potting soil usually has bad stuff in it. Like perlite or "wetting agents". I wouldn't use potting soil as a substrate.

Sterant

5 Year Member
Albany, NY
If this was a one time event with no other symptoms, then my guess would be that he ate something disagreeable. Maybe a bug, or a bite of something that tasted awful. In any case, warm temps and daily warm soaks are my recommendation.

Potting soil usually has bad stuff in it. Like perlite or "wetting agents". I wouldn't use potting soil as a substrate.
I agree with Tom. Just watch him for the next few days to see if it persists.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I would follow what Tom and Ben both said. Keep an eye on him and just make sure that he is nice a warm with lots of soaks.

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
I've been checking on him and he hasn't done it since, he sounded a little nasaly in the afternoon but it stopped since. He came out to bask, eat, poop and had a soak where he drank for 1 minute straight. I'm hoping he will be better tomorrow.

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
I put his light on at 7 and he came out, but he was acting very sluggish and is sleeping in a weird position with his head and front legs out flat on the ground?

I'm going to give him another soak and see if he eats afterwards

Any idea why he may be like this? Could he have some type of respiratory infections?

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
Ok so he definitely has something wrong, he sneezed and thick snot came out, I put my finger to it and it came away all goopy. I tried to spray his nose and it went all over his head and inside his shell, hope some went in his nose. I'm really upset coz I don't know what to do and I didn't expect he would get sick so young

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The only thing I know to do for this is up the temps. You are going into fall and its getting cooler there. Respiratory infections are typically caused by cool damp conditions. The cure is warm conditions day and night. Get the ambient temp up to 29-30 C and keep it there 24/7. Still have a basking area that is 37 C for about 14 hours a day. You have to convince the tortoise that its not fall and it should be active and basking.

Soak every day in warm water for about 40 minutes or more to keep him hydrated with all this heat. keep the substrate damp too. Keep the water warm for the entire soak.

Keep this up until at least two weeks after symptoms disappear and then you can slowly adjust back to normal temps, but I'd keep night temps warmer permanently to make sure it doesn't happen again.

There are four elements to heating and lighting:
  1. Basking bulb. I use 65 watt floods from the hardware store. I run them on a timer and adjust the height to get the correct basking temp under them.
  2. Ambient heat maintenance. I use ceramic heating elements or radiant heat panels set on thermostats to maintain ambient above 80 degrees day and night for tropical species like sulcatas or leopards.
  3. Light. I use florescent tubes for this purpose. Something in the 5000-6500K color range will look the best. Most tubes at the store are in the 2500K range and they look yellowish.
  4. UV. If you can get your tortoise outside for an hour 2 or 3 times a week, you won't need indoor UV. If you want it anyway, get one of the newer HO type fluorescent tubes. Which type will depend on mounting height. It helps to have a UV meter to test and see what your bulb is actually putting out at your mounting height.

Lime pickle

London. Uk
Im really upset, as today I was feeding tortilla and I saw he was blowing bubbles out of his nose and wiping it onto his leg as well. He ate some sow thistle and a tiny piece of spinach a few hours ago and was outside but I took him inside because the weather is not great. He will blow bubbles out of his nose after a bath but it will go away quick and he didn't drink today so it can't be from that. He has clicky breathing as well :( but it doesn't sound clicky every breath only every few when he blows bubbles

All these symptoms happened in less than 2 hours, is that possible? He was fine yesterday and this morning.

His head it too small to spray nasal spray and it will go in his eyes and inside his shell. I don't know what to do, I've got him inside now near his heat lamp(35°C).

@CarolM
@Yvonne G
@Sterant
@Tom
I have had tortoises for many years And I know that when they bubble at the nose and have breathing difficulties it means They have an upper respiratory tract infection . Please get your tortoise to a vets ASAP. He will need antibiotic injections . Unless treated quickly he will deteriorate. Please hurry. Good luck.

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
I have had tortoises for many years And I know that when they bubble at the nose and have breathing difficulties it means They have an upper respiratory tract infection . Please get your tortoise to a vets ASAP. He will need antibiotic injections . Unless treated quickly he will deteriorate. Please hurry. Good luck.
Before going to the get is there any at home remedies? I've been using 2 nasal sprays and since spraying I haven't seen any discharge since just clicky breathing and head bobbing

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Before going to the get is there any at home remedies? I've been using 2 nasal sprays and since spraying I haven't seen any discharge since just clicky breathing and head bobbing
That’s progress in my mind, keep things warm and the all magic soakings should really help. Is he still eating?

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
That’s progress in my mind, keep things warm and the all magic soakings should really help. Is he still eating?
Yes, he ate like normal and was quite active except for the occasional clicky breathing and nose discharge

I'm thinking his sluggishness was from the drop in temps because it's the start of winter tomorrow. I'm going to keep my window closed and add extra insulation

TortillaTheTortioise

N/A
Also forgot to mention in the one reply...
What does the injection antibiotics do? Can a injection be put in a tiny hatchling?

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
that’s good to hear, keep temps high and follow advice given previously and hopefully you should see some improvements in the next few days. The fact that he eats and is active is a very good sign.

Keep us posted and please ask if you have any other worries:)