Bugs in mulch substrate

Mrs.Campos3

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento
I just started using fir bark substrate thus month and we love it but it does have bugs that get all over his food rock and his food. They're not hurting our little guy they ate just really annoying. The are very small and black. The bigger ones look like the have wings. What are they and how do I get rid of them?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I just started using fir bark substrate thus month and we love it but it does have bugs that get all over his food rock and his food. They're not hurting our little guy they ate just really annoying. The are very small and black. The bigger ones look like the have wings. What are they and how do I get rid of them?
That media is decomposing naturally and those insects are part of the crew.
I see fewer if any in Orchid bark.

Mrs.Campos3

Sacramento
That media is decomposing naturally and those insects are part of the crew.
I see fewer if any in Orchid bark.
It is orchid bark made from fir. Orchids don't have bark. It's bark mulch FOR orchids not bark mulch made from orchids. I think. Most orchid bark is fir.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Those are probably phorid flies. They are harmless detrivores and they come from the surrounding environment. You will get those with any type of substrate you use that is warm and damp. I just ignore them. They are nature's clean up crew. Their numbers can seem a bit high at first, but after they eat up all the existing food sources, their numbers reduce all on their own to a sustainable level. The best way I have found to safely reduce them is those hanging sticky traps. Personally, I just ignore them. If they bother you, you can boil, bake, freeze, or replace the substrate ever so often to keep the numbers down.

Mrs.Campos3

Sacramento
Those are probably phorid flies. They are harmless detrivores and they come from the surrounding environment. You will get those with any type of substrate you use that is warm and damp. I just ignore them. They are nature's clean up crew. Their numbers can seem a bit high at first, but after they eat up all the existing food sources, their numbers reduce all on their own to a sustainable level. The best way I have found to safely reduce them is those hanging sticky traps. Personally, I just ignore them. If they bother you, you can boil, bake, freeze, or replace the substrate ever so often to keep the numbers down.
You're literally THE best Tom! Always feel better after you reply. It gives me great peace of mind.

Reactions: Tom