Bugs in substrate

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Hi All,

I have seen a few threads about bugs found in substrate, no one ever really seems overly concerned other than about mites. I have these little grayish-white bugs that hover only around the feeding stone, and they seem to eat all the little food bits, kind of a clean up crew. I finally captured a video today, I will post it below. Im hoping someone can view it, just to verify that these lil crawlies are ok and safe. i have never seen them on, or even near the tort, they just want his crumbs, lol.

http://s1239.photobucket.com/user/TommyZ13/media/20131023_221527.mp4.html

Thanks,

Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They do look like the same little things I used to have when Tatum was in the house. If you want to get rid of them, put the substrate in boiling water or bake it in the oven. They will eventually come back, unless you keep a routine of boiling or baking every so often. Freezing will work too, however, they seem to come back a lot quicker.

LisaTurtle

5 Year Member
Seattle
I dont believe they are harmful. You can also try fighting bugs with bugs :) Potato bugs (also called pill or sow bugs) will eat up the small food scraps and prevent the mites from showing up. I wouldn't add them till after changing out or baking the substrate first tho. Also you have to add quite a few. I put 7 potato bugs in and a few committed suicide in the water dish, and the rest seemed to die off over a couple month period. But they did keep it mite free! So I think you just to keep adding them :)

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Thanks for the replies, i sorta figured they werent harmful. Im goin for a bioactive soil substrate, so unfortunatly baking/boiling wont work, i have wayyyyy too much dirt, lol. This week im ordering up some pill bugs from carolina pet supply, and will add them as a clean up crew, plus as tort snacks.

In two weeks all the new torts will be here, once i go through quarantine, ill add some hermit crabs too, along with lotsa worms.

Thanks again gang. :)

ILoveTortoises2

5 Year Member
Mansfield, Ma
Oh those are way different then mine. Mine were jumping into their water bowl which was VERY weird but mine were smaller then this. So I don't know if you have bigger ones of the ones I had or what.

Jabuticaba

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, MB
I think I have those, too. They're welcomed guests in my enclosures. They seem to break down matter and they don't seem to leave the dirt, so I don't mind them.

JessicaHanigan

5 Year Member
Actually you need to take some serious steps for that because these bugs are not good at all, so it's better to remove them as fast as you can.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
JessicaHanigan said:
Actually you need to take some serious steps for that because these bugs are not good at all, so it's better to remove them as fast as you can.

Hi and welcome to TFO. Could you please go to the introduction section and make a thread telling us a bit about you and your interest in tortoises. :)

As to this thread, what do you think they are and why do you think they are bad?

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Re: RE: Bugs in substrate

JessicaHanigan said:

Hmph, what do you think they are? They seem only concerned with lil food bits.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Anyone who keeps a moist substrate will more than likely be bothered by these guys. They are not harmful to your tortoise.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
I agree. They love the moisture! I have them in my enclosure also. I also sometimes see them in my tree frog home too. They take care of the poopy!! They are harmless.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Theyre sort of entertaining, lol. Like my pet tort, has his own pet bugs, lol. Plus, if he eats a few, extra protein for him.

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
TommyZ said:
Theyre sort of entertaining, lol. Like my pet tort, has his own pet bugs, lol. Plus, if he eats a few, extra protein for him.

Ha! Thats right!! :) protein!!

TommyZ

5 Year Member
These guys have multiplied quite a bit. Just want to double check that it's definitely okay right?