Citron Elegans

Location (City and/or State)
PA
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/qshm05ydwimhmch/AABA-tv9mhFCcWSFdtwsv2WOa?dl=0
The link includes videos, my apologies but this is the best quality I could muster. There aren't many of these bugs and they only are in the areas that are constantly moist and have plant life. I have not seen any on my tortoises but just want to figure out what they are and make sure my torts are safe. The bugs almost definitely have 6 legs and two antennae from what I can tell and are a clear/white/slightly yellowish color. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

I think they are mites but hoping for fat springtails?

Attachments

• IMG_4183.jpeg
    IMG_4183.jpeg
    161.8 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4184.jpeg
    IMG_4184.jpeg
    162.7 KB · Views: 6

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Too blurry, but not springtails. Way too big. They look similar in shape to the bugs we have here that parasitize my cactus stands. These are probably sucking on your plants, not your tortoise.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Could it be a stink bug, looks similar.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Just watch the video, to small to be a stink bug. Not sure what they are.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just watched the video. It’s just too hard to tell - not mites or springtails or stink bugs or ticks. Id say just catch & remove as many as you can, but they really won’t harm your tortoise. Bugs like the moisture, heat & food in enclosures.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I don't know what they are, but I sure wouldn't want them in my house!!! Try diatomaceous earth.

Citron Elegans

PA
I don't know what they are, but I sure wouldn't want them in my house!!! Try diatomaceous earth.
They only stay in one little area in the cage where there are grasses and they stay in the dirt for the most part. After not watering for a few days their numbers are very low. They also don't seem to go near the tortoises, which is what matters, but I am just wondering what they are eating? I guess it is probable plant roots but then why would they come up to the surface sometimes?

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
Ok so I got a digital magnifying scope, it kind of sucks but I got some much better videos at least. They are on this link https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/lxcu83hzjj9uvpfmguns7/h?dl=0&rlkey=2o0wad7cft9rxafgyf8qja7uz
I think it is a mite, what are the best solutions, just bake them out?

Thank you all for your help!

It's hard to tell but theres parts that look like theres 6 legs and 2 'arms' (8 total); if thats the case, then you might be right and its a soil mite of some sort.

Root aphid also comes to mind, but they have 6 legs total and body shape is a little different.

Citron Elegans

PA
Update: I have been letting my tortoises be outside most of each day and have just been cooking their indoor enclosure and putting barely any water in where they were. Meanwhile, they absolutely took over my shop vac I have underneath the enclosure (it is a rolling melamine enclosure I built) as well as my hand sanitizer (odd). They didn't go near the food (which is all in zip lock bags and then in a tub) or the carpenter ant queen I have down there either. I cleaned everything and let it all sit outside in the sun baking for a day and so far no sight of any but I have little hope they are truly gone.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster