Building a Tortoise Table

LRacks4

Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento CA
Hey guys! The Kids are growing pretty quickly! They are definitely going to grow out of their tote sooner than later! Bilbo already almost doesn’t fit under the rock he likes to burrow under!

I was wondering if anyone had any good advice on burrows and things for them to climb on to put inside the tortoise table as they get bigger? They love to climb. But they are outgrowing all the things I’ve been able to find for them at the stores!

Any advice would be grateful appreciated.

Also, lining the bottom of the tortoise table… what do you guys recommend?

I shared a picture of what their current home looks like. They are almost 6 months and growing quicker than I expected!

Attachments

• C1495E2C-8D24-4AD0-BF95-E12F804C261A.jpeg
    C1495E2C-8D24-4AD0-BF95-E12F804C261A.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 20
  • 24296E92-D704-4249-A550-8C7BB4A8CDCE.jpeg
    24296E92-D704-4249-A550-8C7BB4A8CDCE.jpeg
    140.3 KB · Views: 20

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Tables do not work for sulcatas unless the whole room is 80 degrees and 80+% humidity all the time. You need a large closed chamber. If you buy or build a 4x8 foot one, it will last them until it is time to move outside full time in about a year from now.

In the picture it looks like the one on the left is about twice the weight of the one on the right. This is an indicator of a big problem. They should never live in pairs. They need to be separated ASAP.

Check this out:

LRacks4

Sacramento CA
Tables do not work for sulcatas unless the whole room is 80 degrees and 80+% humidity all the time. You need a large closed chamber. If you buy or build a 4x8 foot one, it will last them until it is time to move outside full time in about a year from now.

In the picture it looks like the one on the left is about twice the weight of the one on the right. This is an indicator of a big problem. They should never live in pairs. They need to be separated ASAP.

Check this out:
Hi, thanks for your advice. I have desert tortoises however. Different than sulcatas for sure. And their vet says they are fine together and also very healthy and growing normally. I have their room at the recommended temp from their vet. They are 5 months old so they are safe to be together. However they are growing out of their current home quickly and I need another solution for their house until they are large enough to safely be in their enclosure outside. I want to build a table but I’m not sure where to even begin!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi, thanks for your advice. I have desert tortoises however. Different than sulcatas for sure. And their vet says they are fine together and also very healthy and growing normally. I have their room at the recommended temp from their vet. They are 5 months old so they are safe to be together. However they are growing out of their current home quickly and I need another solution for their house until they are large enough to safely be in their enclosure outside. I want to build a table but I’m not sure where to even begin!
My apologies. I could not tell the species from the picture. An open table can work for a DT, but the pair thing is even more critical. DTs, along with Russians can be very scrappy and territorial. Sadly, vets don't know tortoise behavior and tortoise care. They read and learn from the same wrong info that everyone else learns from. There is no semester on tortoise care in vet school. That knowledge is only gained from the school of hard knocks. Your babies need to be separated ASAP. Groups of juveniles can sometimes work until one or more starts getting closer to maturity, but not pairs. I've been keeping and raising DTs since I was a little kid. Believe me, I know their personalities. They are a great species, but should never be kept as pairs. Anyone who says other wise simply doesn't know better. Here is a thread demonstrating what can happen. These were Russians, but DTs will do the same:
Please don't be one of those people that have to learn this lesson the hard way, after the damage is done. This has nothing to do with overt biting and attacking. Neither of these babies wants the other tortoise in its territory, and neither wants to be in the territory of the other. The low grade chronic stress is enough to hamper their immune systems and cause myriad problems. That is why one is growing faster than the other. That is what almost always happens. Watch the growth rate of the smaller one pick up after separation.

An open table can work for this species, but be sure to have a humid hide and deep damp substrate, like coco coir or fine grade orchid bark. Daily soaks until they reach 100 grams will help keep them hydrated, and keep their growth smooth too. You can skip a day now and then after 100 grams. Here is the correct care info:

To build an enclosure for them, you can use a sheet of plywood, and simply attach walls. Heat lamps and UV tubes can be hung from over head. Large closed chambers do work better for babies, and I prefer to use this until they are large enough to live outside full time. When they are babies, I make covered pens for them to get outside time. Like these:
7907461_orig.jpgIMG_2517.JPG