Burrowing Ball Python

hatzego

Location (City and/or State)
North Texas
Three days ago, I setup a naturalistic vivarium for my ball python. He’s about 6 months old, so he’s relatively small. Today marks two days since I’ve seen him. My suspicion is that he’s burrowed down into his substrate somewhere and that’s why I can’t find him, but I wanted to make sure that was reasonable. The substrate is about 6 inches deep throughout most of the enclosure, but is only about a half inch deep where the UTH is. Is it probable that he’s just trying to acclimate to his new enclosure by hiding in the substrate, away from his UTH?

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Three days ago, I setup a naturalistic vivarium for my ball python. He’s about 6 months old, so he’s relatively small. Today marks two days since I’ve seen him. My suspicion is that he’s burrowed down into his substrate somewhere and that’s why I can’t find him, but I wanted to make sure that was reasonable. The substrate is about 6 inches deep throughout most of the enclosure, but is only about a half inch deep where the UTH is. Is it probable that he’s just trying to acclimate to his new enclosure by hiding in the substrate, away from his UTH?

Are you certain he has not escaped....eeeekkkk :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
kinda sounds like my set up. :)

I have a 7 mo old ball, in a locking exoterra with natural decor. Mine is also 6"+ deep in all areas other than the over the UTH.

My bp has never burrowed. He utilizes the various wood hides though.

How long have you had him?
What substratehe was he housed on before the move 3 days ago?
Are you sure of the enclosure temps?
How do you measure the temperature?
Do you have other heat sources? Are they regulated with thermostats or dimmers?
What do you use for hides?

I use a dimmer on my UTH to prevent it from getting too hot. During my set up testing phase the lazer temp gun would get 140°F readings on the glass over the UTH! So, they really do get to hot without a controller.

My *guesses* are; the burrowing could be to escape a hot heat source, he's rehydrating himself after being kept too dry in a previous enclosure or he doesn't feel secure with any of your hides.

hatzego

North Texas
kinda sounds like my set up. :)

I have a 7 mo old ball, in a locking exoterra with natural decor. Mine is also 6"+ deep in all areas other than the over the UTH.

My bp has never burrowed. He utilizes the various wood hides though.

How long have you had him?
What substratehe was he housed on before the move 3 days ago?
Are you sure of the enclosure temps?
How do you measure the temperature?
Do you have other heat sources? Are they regulated with thermostats or dimmers?
What do you use for hides?

I use a dimmer on my UTH to prevent it from getting too hot. During my set up testing phase the lazer temp gun would get 140°F readings on the glass over the UTH! So, they really do get to hot without a controller.

My *guesses* are; the burrowing could be to escape a hot heat source, he's rehydrating himself after being kept too dry in a previous enclosure or he doesn't feel secure with any of your hides.

I’ve had him for about 3 months. Prior to the move, he was housed on coconut coir. The enclosure sits at 74-76 degrees Fahrenheit, hot spot between 84-88. I use a digital temp gun to ensure they stay this way, as well as a thermostat on the UTH. No other heat sources during the summer months, the ambient temperature is sufficient without them. Hides are a large cork flat with a burrow dug out underneath it, this hide sits over the hotspot. The other hide is a large cork tube, one side exposed and the other submerged under the substrate. Maybe he is too exposed in those two hides, but I haven’t even seen him in days now. I think I’m going to have to take down the tank and dig for him, unfortunately.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
He looks fabulous.

Hearing more and seeing a photo, I wouldn't worry one bit. You can play around with hide security if you want but I'd wait before making more changes.

Banana says hello!
20180116_151446.jpg
He's only a month old here.... Searching for a photo to share showed me just how few photos I've actually taken of him in his enclosure!

hatzego

North Texas
He looks fabulous.

Hearing more and seeing a photo, I wouldn't worry one bit. You can play around with hide security if you want but I'd wait before making more changes.

Banana says hello!
View attachment 243563
He's only a month old here.... Searching for a photo to share showed me just how few photos I've actually taken of him in his enclosure!

I appreciate your insight and advice. I’m a relatively new snake owner, so I got paranoid when I didn’t see him for a few days. Banana is beautiful, by the way!

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I'm happy to see another BP living in a natural looking enclosure. :)

Although I understand the reasons poeole have for the bare tub rack system, I personally feel that the snakes living like ours are the lucky ones.

20180630_190301.jpg

Happy snake keeping :)

hatzego

North Texas
I'm happy to see another BP living in a natural looking enclosure. :)

Although I understand the reasons poeole have for the bare tub rack system, I personally feel that the snakes living like ours are the lucky ones.

View attachment 243564

Happy snake keeping :)

IMG_4444.jpg

I never posted a picture of the full enclosure, so here’s that. It’s a 3’ x 18” x 3’ Exo Terra. If I had the space to keep all of my animals in naturalistic and bioactive enclosures, I absolutely would. It’s certainly my preferred method of care. Thanks again!