Burrows

Jenminer

Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Has anyone ever tried wintering their Sulcatas in a man made burrow? I was wondering if the temps would remain stable with supplemental heating, I'm not sure if dirt alone would provide enough insulation.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Joe beat me to it…

The dirt actually sucks a lot of the heat away. I was surprised at how much heat I needed to provide in the cold ground in winter.

Jenminer

Northern California
I have few questions regarding your burrow Tom. I might have missed the measurements, how wide is the tunnel entrance to the burrow and how do you keep your box from rotting? I don't know how your soil treats wood in your area, but the poor soil and clay over here loves to rot wood. Also I'm pretty sure the termites colonies are fighting over bragging rights with the gophers over who can cause more damage to this property.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I have few questions regarding your burrow Tom. I might have missed the measurements, how wide is the tunnel entrance to the burrow and how do you keep your box from rotting? I don't know how your soil treats wood in your area, but the poor soil and clay over here loves to rot wood. Also I'm pretty sure the termites colonies are fighting over bragging rights with the gophers over who can cause more damage to this property.

Wood takes a long time to rot in the ground here for some reason. Don't know why. You could use other materials to do something similar if need be. I don't have a termite problem here either. Too dry I think.

For gophers you need a couple of "Black Boxes". Made by Victor. Those and some serious diligence and observation.

This box was 4x4x2' and the entrance tunnel was about 18" wide and 8 feet long. I intended this enclosure for juveniles, so you could make everything a little bigger if you intend to use it for an adult. Also, I don't know how far down you read in the long thread, but do make your box with a solid floor. You can put some dirt on top of whatever you use, but definitely make a floor to prevent digging to China.

Jenminer

Northern California
As always thank you. If I do attempt a burrow it will take some careful planing and yes being a gardener I am always catching gophers. I toss them to my chickens, they love gophers.