Buying Leopards

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio, TX
Hello all,

So I am looking to buy a leopard hatchling in the next few weeks. Say less than a month. I've been thinking about it for a few weeks now & I've decided I'm ready for it & now very excited. This will be my second ever baby. :) Moving Sami outside in another week or so so I am ready for a hatchling to take her place inside! Question is- where to buy? I am in San Antonio, TX. I know a lot of you talk about purchasing online & having them FedEx'd to your house. What companies are reliable and how does this work? Thanks!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
You need to ask the breeder/seller how the baby was started from hatching. If they say rabbit pellet substrate, and once a week soaks, buy it elsewhere.

Alles uber schildkroten

5 Year Member
Earth
I wouldn't buy from TheTurtleSource, most of their anilmals are malnourished and not taken care of very well... Plus they are a bit pricy...

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Zabbi0 said:
Right. Any suggestions on companies or breeders?

There are a lot of breeders here on the forum. I think most of them are probably excellent. I don't usually like to make recommendations because whoever does not get recommended will be justifiably upset. Outside of the members of this forum you are going to see a lot more of the dry routine.

Greg T

10 Year Member!
League City, TX
Check your Craigslist ads for local people. That way you can go see them in person. Otherwise, there are a few forum members who sell Leopards. Send a PM to JTrux who bought a leopard and lives in San Antonio also.

I bought mine through local breeders in Houston a long time ago, but are still some around here if you want to make a trip out of it.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
I had two tort's sent me via FedEx and it was just fine. Although I did wait until it was warm where I live. One was a Leopard hatchling and the other one was a 35 pound Sulcata and the deliveries were smooth with no delay's or added stress. Personally, I would use someone on the forum.

Tortus

5 Year Member
Maryland
Wherever you get it, make sure you start out with high humidity right away.

I didn't notice perfectly smooth growth in mine until I raised it to 70%+ daytime and 90%+ night time.

spikethebest

10 Year Member!
Southern California
i breed leopard tortoises, and tortoisesupply sells those tortoises. i highly recommend tortoisesupply.com ! they keep them right!

Richsandwich

5 Year Member
Alles uber schildkroten said:
I wouldn't buy from TheTurtleSource, most of their anilmals are malnourished and not taken care of very well... Plus they are a bit pricy...
Pricey yes! malnourished?How do you come up with that? I've made 2 purchases from them and both times they were great to deal with. My turtle and tortoise are doing quite well since I got them from them. How many times have you purchased a tortoise or turtle from them?

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
Greg T said:
Check your Craigslist ads for local people. That way you can go see them in person. Otherwise, there are a few forum members who sell Leopards. Send a PM to JTrux who bought a leopard and lives in San Antonio also.

I bought mine through local breeders in Houston a long time ago, but are still some around here if you want to make a trip out of it.

Oh & I talked to Josh a few weeks ago & he said he would be selling some but not til August. I wouldn't mind making a trip out to Houston. I go out there a few times a year. Do you still have contact with these people?

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
I plan on getting a group of South African leopards later this year and will decide which ones I want to keep and sell off the rest but if you're looking for the regular run of the mill leopard torts there's a bunch of people who breed them here and elsewhere.

I haven't seen any babies available locally. There are several people who breed them in houston, i've occassionally seen ads on Houston's CL.

Exoticsdr lives out that way and breeds them as well, he's a member here. He had some babies recently, not sure if he'll have anymore in the near future.

marcy4hope

10 Year Member!
Missouri
i got my leopard in late november from tortoisesupply.com it came fedex in excellent condition. i've heard of other great breeders on here as well, but my only experience is with tortoisesupply.com and i was extremely pleased with them. my leopard is doing great!

Zabbi0

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
jtrux said:
I plan on getting a group of South African leopards later this year and will decide which ones I want to keep and sell off the rest but if you're looking for the regular run of the mill leopard torts there's a bunch of people who breed them here and elsewhere.

I haven't seen any babies available locally. There are several people who breed them in houston, i've occassionally seen ads on Houston's CL.

Exoticsdr lives out that way and breeds them as well, he's a member here. He had some babies recently, not sure if he'll have anymore in the near future.

Oh! Right! I forgot you told me about the two different breeds. Yeah I think I will just go with these now. Who knows- maybe I will get another from you come August. I see myself having a lot of babies in the near future. - HA.

Anyway- Thanks for all the help guys. I am waiting anxiously for February 1st to roll around for the expected leopard hatchling babies to be hatched so I can order one off Tortoise Supply. Eeek!! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.