Leopard? Male or female?

JStone

Location (City and/or State)
San Antonio TX
I'm new to the forum. I have had this tortoise for about 5 years. I found it walking across my front yard in San Antonio TX. We think it is a leopard put just want to be positive. Could it be a South African giant leopard? Is it male or female? Thanks for the help. image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Definitely a leopard tortoise.
I don't see "giant" south African traits.
Too small to sex.

It's small for a 5 year old when compared to other leopards raised with ample hydration. How has this little one been housed?

My 3 year old is 10"long and almost 6lbs. That's more along the lines of what you'd expect for a leopard raised humid from hatching, just to give you an idea.

Most important is a healthy tortoise.

Welcome to TFO!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hi and welcome :)

Your tort is far too small for us to sex, but is very cute.

It is showing signs of pyramidding which is of concern. This usually caused by the tort being kept too dry.

Please would you post pictures of your enclosure so we can see if we can see anything to improve this.

JStone

San Antonio TX
Definitely a leopard tortoise.
I don't see "giant" south African traits.
Too small to sex.

It's small for a 5 year old when compared to other leopards raised with ample hydration. How has this little one been housed?

My 3 year old is 10"long and almost 6lbs. That's more along the lines of what you'd expect for a leopard raised humid from hatching, just to give you an idea.

Most important is a healthy tortoise.

Welcome to TFO!

Seems to be healthy. It has been housed inside since we found it. Has a UVB lamp and a heat lamp. Seems to have growth spurts. It is in a terrarium that is 30"x12"x12" for the last year. Before that it was in a smaller one.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Seems to be healthy. It has been housed inside since we found it. Has a UVB lamp and a heat lamp. Seems to have growth spurts. It is in a terrarium that is 30"x12"x12" for the last year. Before that it was in a smaller one.
That terrarium is too small for a tort that size. It really needs to be much, much bigger

JStone

San Antonio TX
Based on the articles my habitat is not humid enough. It currently has a mix of coconut and ground walnut shell. I will change that as soon as I can. It does have water all the time but I will start doing weekly soaks too. I am trying to move it into a larger habitat but was not sure the best route. Looks like I may just build one.

JStone

San Antonio TX
I have flea issues in the backyard that I have to get fixed before I can work on the outdoor enclosure. I did build a table today that added another 18" in length. I also got rid of the old substrate and replaced with moss and forest floor Cyprus mulch. I ordered a greenhouse tent that will be here Sunday and it will go over the top to control the humidity.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and Welcome.
I think from what I've read on the forum, you should ideally be looking at making a 4'x8' enclosure at least with plants, a humid hide and the necessary heat/uv lamps etc

My rescued leopard is 2/3 years old 10.5 inches long and weighs almost 6 pounds. My avatar is a pic of him last summer stretched out in a 15 inch plant saucer, he is too big for it this year. He is housed indoors but has his own room so plenty of room to roam and access to the garden and sun when it is warm and dry enough in the UK. When not, he has a mvb lamp and che on a thermostat for night heat

Yours is very small by comparison, so read the caresheets/advice threads and check the diet he should have too. Maybe with the correct diet and more room to exercise it will start to grow better.

Tactical Tort

5 Year Member
Northern CA
Welcome to the forum.
I agree there's some decent pyramiding and it's very small for its age. However he/she's super cute!
What are you feeding it? Are you providing cuttlefish and any supplements?

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I can't be certain at this size, but all signs indicate female to me and is the normal type of leopard.

Spend some time looking through the leopard tortoise section of the forum. There is a lot of good information there.