Cage Smelling

erniethetortoise

Location (City and/or State)
Florida
Hi, does anyone know how i can get rid of the smell coming from my tortoises cage? I clean out everything once a month and always pick up any leftover food and poop. Could it be coming from the hay or moss in his cage? Thanks in advance.

Bambam1989

East Texas
My torts enclosure doesn't smell. I do daily spot cleaning of food. The food and water dishes get hand washed daily. If my tort poops in his enclosure I clean it as soon as I notice it. I don't recommend leaving hay in an enclosure because it can quickly sour, moss is a debatable topic on whether or not it is suitable for an enclosure due to a possibility of being eaten and then causing impaction but it should be removed and rinsed out every couple of days in my opinion .
To give more advice on how to prevent odors we would have to know what kind of substrate you are using. Pictures of the enclosure would be beneficial also

SULCY

NEW YORK
I had a problem were my enclosure would smell every so often and after doing some investigation I realized it only happened when I fed mustard greens lol so it may be something you are feeding