Calcium question

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I ran across this symptom checker posted by another member on the forum. I have only posted one page of it.

I am interested in the part about marginals at the very top. Chug has translucent edges, about 1/4th inch wide, on his marginals, and the edges are sharp. Have any of you ever heard this attributed to extra calcium? Chug has cuttlebone pieces available, but I am not aware that he eats them. I rarely scrape a bit of it onto his food.
tapatalk_1540234773230.jpeg20181025_123202.jpeg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I didn't know that, but I'm not quite sure I agree with it. Naturally, I'm not a doctor or a scientist, so have no real knowledge of the subject, but I see translucent edges on carapaces all the time, so thought it was perfectly normal.

@Markw84 @Will ???

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Just look at how symmetrical those leg scales are in the last picture. I love things like that. I'm also intrigued by the symmetry of the inside of wasp nests.

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
I didn't know that, but I'm not quite sure I agree with it. Naturally, I'm not a doctor or a scientist, so have no real knowledge of the subject, but I see translucent edges on carapaces all the time, so thought it was perfectly normal.

@Markw84 @Will ???
You may not have the degree of a doctor or scientist, but you certainly have a vast knowledge of all things tortoise or turtle!