Calling on indian star owners residing in INDIA

shanu303

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
India
Ok. So is it ok to get a bigger one which in India is obviously wild caught. Read some where that wild caught should be avoided to pet as they can not adapt in captivity. But the younger ones (wild caught) can do well as they start adapting because they never been in wild for long. What's your opinion.
every single tortoise available in India, old or young, is wild caught. There is no captive breeding going on in india and even if rarely there is captive breeding then it is for conservation works.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Shanu reply for my msg.
pelleted food although having balanced vitamins and nutrients can never substitute good fresh food. It is an option when fresh food is not available which isn't the case in india

Hari8689

Mumbai - India
Thanks.
I know we get plenty of diffrent fresh food but problem is that they dont like it..they dont eat it.
So pellets are may be good for health as they have all nutritions.

dheeraj rajan

avtually i have just a star bought a tortoise it only eats tomatoes plzz ztell me wat to give it to eat i m an indian so we dont have any lawn it lives inside my house i daily give it a sun bath for 15 minute in morning plzzz help me to keep it healthy it is small star tortoise plzzz tell me its daily routine and food and how shud i give it
]

shanu plzzz reply my msg give me some tips to keep my tortoise heathy

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
avtually i have just a star bought a tortoise it only eats tomatoes plzz ztell me wat to give it to eat i m an indian so we dont have any lawn it lives inside my house i daily give it a sun bath for 15 minute in morning plzzz help me to keep it healthy it is small star tortoise plzzz tell me its daily routine and food and how shud i give it
]

shanu plzzz reply my msg give me some tips to keep my tortoise heathy
Hello dheeraj, i think you should read through this thread and you'll get answers to all your queries. Because it is not wise to repeat the same stuff for every new user. If there is still something left then you're welcome to ask. 15 min of sunlight is not enough, at least 2-3 hours. regarding the tomato issue, try giving kakdi (kheera) instead of tomatoes initially. Then you can switch to other greens as your torts get used to the diet.

monsteramp

dimension X
hey shanu, do u happen to have a weight/size chart for indian stars? mine is female, 13 years old. weighs 1.4kg.

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
hey shanu, do u happen to have a weight/size chart for indian stars? mine is female, 13 years old. weighs 1.4kg.
sorry i don't have any kind of chart like that, i just weigh my tort and size him and compare the stats with the older ones i took. mine is 4-5 years old and he weighs about 750-800 grams(didn't weigh him recently) and he measure about 6 inches carapace length.

dheeraj rajan

Hello dheeraj, i think you should read through this thread and you'll get answers to all your queries. Because it is not wise to repeat the same stuff for every new user. If there is still something left then you're welcome to ask. 15 min of sunlight is not enough, at least 2-3 hours. regarding the tomato issue, try giving kakdi (kheera) instead of tomatoes initially. Then you can switch to other greens as your torts get used to the diet.

it doesnt eat any thing except tomatoes i hav also trid to give him differnet veggies even cucumber but no use

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
i have a male 13 years old he weighs about 850g and length about 6inches. is that a problem?
at this weight and size it doesn't seem to be 13 years old, maybe you got the age wrong. according to length the weight is just about right so i don't think there is an extreme issue with health, Although torts are slow growers but 13 years and still 6 inches is just wrong. I might be wrong as i don't have experience of keeping torts for 13 years. Maybe @KenS could help.

Hari8689

Mumbai - India
Shanu are they safe from house lizards and rats (chachoondar and ghoos) ?
I m thinking to shift them at some other place where nobody will there to see this things and chances are there so asking...?
They are 1.5-2 years old

shanu303

5 Year Member
India
Shanu are they safe from house lizards and rats (chachoondar and ghoos) ?
I m thinking to shift them at some other place where nobody will there to see this things and chances are there so asking...?
They are 1.5-2 years old
at that age and size they can be easily harmed by rats and mouse but not house lizard, i suggest you to not keep them in any isolated, obsolete area out of your supervision. at this age and size they should have a secured enclosure.

Joo

5 Year Member
at this weight and size it doesn't seem to be 13 years old, maybe you got the age wrong. according to length the weight is just about right so i don't think there is an extreme issue with health, Although torts are slow growers but 13 years and still 6 inches is just wrong. I might be wrong as i don't have experience of keeping torts for 13 years. Maybe @KenS could help.[/QUOTE

It is possible, my 13 yrs old male star is 6", weigh 0.7kg, female is 9", weigh 1.7kg,

Joo

5 Year Member
thanks Joo. at this age, will they still grow?

They do but very slow. You might not notice. Mine kinda stop (grow very slow) after 6 yrs for the male, and 8 yrs for the female.

dheeraj rajan

hey shanu i searched full page but i cannot understand which food to give 2 my star tortoise it is just eating tomatoes ( i dont want to make it habit for her tu just eat tomatoes ) so plzzz reply me food items i coulg give to her
is it ok to give her magoes she tries to eat mango when she is near mango bout i hav seen in some sites dat fruits are not good for star tortoise
plzzz help fast it has been 5 days she just eats tomatoes