Can a vivarium be too big for a yearling?

KatieR

Location (City and/or State)
UK
Hi,

I live in the UK and have decided a vivarium is definitely the best option for us. I'm about to buy one ready for our new friend, who will be exactly one when we get it, but my question is, can a vivarium be too big for a yearling? Can we go straight for an 8ft one ready for them as an adult with the correct lighting/heating or will it stress them out/be too big for them wandering around? Thanks.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Not really. Go with the big one and what I would do is put food, water, hide all on one half, leave the other half for exploring. If it were something like a big room or big yard, then I'd say yes. Even then just sectioning off a section and growing it as the tort grows is better then having to keep buying a bigger enclosure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi,

I live in the UK and have decided a vivarium is definitely the best option for us. I'm about to buy one ready for our new friend, who will be exactly one when we get it, but my question is, can a vivarium be too big for a yearling? Can we go straight for an 8ft one ready for them as an adult with the correct lighting/heating or will it stress them out/be too big for them wandering around? Thanks.
That is an absurd internet myth, that was a myth before there was an internet. How can 8 feet be too large when these animals hatch in the wild with thousands of square miles to roam anytime they want?

Smaller enclosures are useful for trying to tame down certain lizards and snakes, but this does not apply to tortoises. Some lizard species are scared and flighty and if you have to chase them around a giant enclosure for five minutes with your hand, it can teach them to be scared of you and run from you. Done correctly, with the animal choosing to come to you for food or otherwise on its own terms, this doesn't happen, but that is/was the thinking. This simply does not apply to tortoises.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
That is an absurd internet myth, that was a myth before there was an internet. How can 8 feet be too large when these animals hatch in the wild with thousands of square miles to roam anytime they want?

Smaller enclosures are useful for trying to tame down certain lizards and snakes, but this does not apply to tortoises. Some lizard species are scared and flighty and if you have to chase them around a giant enclosure for five minutes with your hand, it can teach them to be scared of you and run from you. Done correctly, with the animal choosing to come to you for food or otherwise on its own terms, this doesn't happen, but that is/was the thinking. This simply does not apply to tortoises.
Another myth that years ago was used on this forum.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
What kind of tortoise is it you’re getting?🙂

As long as you’re maintaining the heat and humidity where it should be all over, there’s zero issue going bigger right away to save multiple upgrades! If you’re worried about them feeling secure, add lots of plant coverage and multiple hides to choose from and have food in a super easy accessible place.

Don’t suppose you need a recommendation for where to get a large 8foot viv? We’re in the uk too and used Southdown aquatics, highly recommend! Just be sure to seal them well🙂

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Another myth that years ago was used on this forum.
I believe you, but I don't recall seeing that. This just never made sense to me. When a baby tortoise first hatches, it might walk 100 yards in its first few days, or only a few feet if there is suitable cover and resources near the nest site. I've found ground hatched sulcatas at all corners of my 8000 square foot pen within a day of hatching. I don't understand the thought process that figures those babies will get lost of confused somehow in a tiny 6 or 8 foot space.

I've started many hatchings in a 4x8 as their first enclosure straight out of the brooder box. I usually put in two or three food and two or three water bowls in enclosures that large with tiny hatchings, but they have zero problems navigating around, or finding the food, water, and shelters.

Currently, I have a 6x3 Animal Plastics closed chamber that I start all my tiny platynota hatchings in, and an 8x3 Smart Enclosure that I start hatchlings of larger species in. This is just one of those things, where if a large enclosure was going to be a problem for some reason, I would have seen it many times over by now.

If you’re worried about them feeling secure, add lots of plant coverage and multiple hides to choose from and have food in a super easy accessible place.
This is a good point and its another thing that I just do without thinking about it. I clip mulberry, lavatera, grape vines, or hibiscus branches and put them in these large baby chambers. The babies walk and hide amongst the leaves for security, and they can nibble all they want. I replace the branches every other day or so as they wilt.

I've dabbled with potted plants too and had mixed results, but many keepers have great success with pothos, spider plants, and Boston ferns.

KatieR

UK
What kind of tortoise is it you’re getting?🙂

As long as you’re maintaining the heat and humidity where it should be all over, there’s zero issue going bigger right away to save multiple upgrades! If you’re worried about them feeling secure, add lots of plant coverage and multiple hides to choose from and have food in a super easy accessible place.

Don’t suppose you need a recommendation for where to get a large 8foot viv? We’re in the uk too and used Southdown aquatics, highly recommend! Just be sure to seal them well🙂
I was looking at Southdown aquatics, so thanks for the recommendation!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
@KatieR @Littleredfootbigredheart
Where are you getting all these massive enclosures in the UK?? Do they actually have 8x4?? I had to get an L shape by joining two 4x2 enclosures, I don't think I could find 4x4 even...