Can tortoises eat mushrooms?

Cass96

Location (City and/or State)
Ontario
Hey all!
I’m sorry if this has already been answered in a previous thread. I’m just curious on things to give my Shelldon as little treats.
Shelldon is an Egyptian Tortoise, can he try a bit of raw mushroom? (8months old)

Attachments

• 3D2E5C7C-F77C-49F5-83CA-BA42E1E69E0E.jpeg
    3D2E5C7C-F77C-49F5-83CA-BA42E1E69E0E.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Hey all!
I’m sorry if this has already been answered in a previous thread. I’m just curious on things to give my Shelldon as little treats.
Shelldon is an Egyptian Tortoise, can he try a bit of raw mushroom? (8months old)
I don't know about mushrooms, but I don't think his substrate is good for him at all - tortoises often eat little things like that, which could cause impaction, which is dangerous- also the stringy stuff in it doesn't look a good idea.
Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
I don't know about mushrooms, but I don't think his substrate is good for him at all - tortoises often eat little things like that, which could cause impaction, which is dangerous- also the stringy stuff in it doesn't look a good idea.
Angie
Sorry - I didn't clarify what I meant - I should have said they eat little white things such as those you have in your substrate.
Angie

Cass96

Ontario
Angie
Thanks for the reply about the substrate. I use exactly what the breeder told me to use. This is what he has uses for his Egyptian Tortoises for many years without issue. It is coco fibre and oyster shells.
If you have a better suggestion I’d love to hear what is is, rather than just telling me I’m doing something wrong! :(
I’ll take all advice as I want the best for “him”.
Thanks.

Angie

zolasmum

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply about the substrate. I use exactly what the breeder told me to use. This is what he has uses for his Egyptian Tortoises for many years without issue. It is coco fibre and oyster shells.
If you have a better suggestion I’d love to hear what is is, rather than just telling me I’m doing something wrong! :(
I’ll take all advice as I want the best for “him”.
Thanks.
Sorry - I am not familiar with egyptian tortoises, which is why I didn't specify the best substrate to use, but there are fact sheets on the forum which will help you, and will probably tell you about mushrooms too.
Angie

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hey all!
Mushrooms intended for human consumption are fine. Just not a lot and not often. Mushrooms growing outside could be fatal and they are very difficult to ID.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
What a cute little tortoise! Please sink his dish further down into the substrate to help prevent his flipping over.