Can you help us identify this tortoise

EchoFrost

Location (City and/or State)
Idaho
I'm a tortoise noob but I think it's a Russian too. She's absolutely adorable!! The only Russians I've interacted with have all been picky eaters. Good luck getting her on varied foods!

ISU

South Korea
Check out thetortoisetable.org.uk for edible plants

My leopard is a picky eater, so I'm trying to feed her a lot of things

Last edited:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you. She’s barely 2 years old I believe. Trying to find foods she likes but it’s been tough.
Here is the care and feeding info:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She IS a Russian. He/she needs at least a 4x8 foot enclosure. 2 years questionable. However it was started wrong in its early years. Russians are harder to pyramid then most others and yours has already started.
Read the links Tom posted and follow them.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
ABSOLUTELY ADORABLE!!
I have a Russian. You can tell what sex it is by the tale. If your Russian has a small short tail it's usually a female. Males have longer tails like dogs! AND they wag. lol

My guy looks similar in age to yours. I'm not sure how old mine is since I did get mine from a local pet store being an inexperienced tortoise owner and not knowing there were actual good reputable breeders out there. (I know for the future)

Your tort is going to need a basking spot and UVB which you can get at any local pet store.
My russian LOVES Santa Barbra mix. I get it at produce junction if you have one near you.
Any type of spring mix is good as well.
Make sure you are switching it up and adding fiber and vitamins as well to his/her diet.

Substrate coco cor, repti bark, any type of substrate from a pet store works that allows for humidity (Look for)

I sprits my guys food for extra hydration with a spritzer and sometimes on his shell if I don't feel like he is drinking from his water bowl.

Also, they pee and poo a lot. I would watch from keeping your tortoise roaming around.
I tried to make mine a homemade diaper xD but it faild do to not being able to stick on the shell regular tape.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
If you have any questions in regards to housing, or health for your tortoise you can reach out to me directly. I am willing to supply all the info I know for you to help your tortoise thrive and be happy! :tort:

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Pansys,
Aloe im moderation (RUSSIANS LOVE)
Cactus pads without spikes.
Hibiscus
I get my varity in diet from @Kapidolo Farms You can check out his page for sprinkling some of his mixes on your tortoises greens.

Sunnygirl

Santa Cruz
She IS a Russian. He/she needs at least a 4x8 foot enclosure. 2 years questionable. However it was started wrong in its early years. Russians are harder to pyramid then most others and yours has already started.
Read the links Tom posted and follow them.
Started wrong ? Can you explain because really confused

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Started wrong ? Can you explain because really confused
Before you got him/her the owner did not give proper humidity. They either don't know about it or refuse to follow the correct ways of housing tortoises which is all on this forum. Russians don't pyramid very easy. So this one was probably raised hot and dry instead of warm and humid. If you now raise/house/feed/temps and humidity correctly his pyramiding should stop.

Viola B

5 Year Member
Idaho Falls, Idaho
Please follow the care sheets Tom posted. It will help your Russian tort a lot. I know the care sheets have been a big help with my Russian. Very good information.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico

Sunnygirl

Santa Cruz
Please follow the care sheets Tom posted. It will help your Russian tort a lot. I know the care sheets have been a big help with my Russian. Very good information.
She is my ex boyfriend’s tortoise and we recently broke up so I’m hoping he does what he needs to for her. She has a light but not a uvb light and no humidity so I’m worried for her but again she doesn’t belong to me

Dcatalano

Colorado
Your Russian is so cute!
Mine loves butter lettuce, Romaine, and some soaked Mazuri tortoise food.
I use a cypress bark substrate or orchid bark, and put about 6-8 inches of it in his hide. He will burrow in there in the late afternoon and seems to love it.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
THAT'S A SWEET LITTLE RUSSIAN. MINE ARE PICKY TOO. TRY ENDIVE OR DANDILION GREEN, ESCAROLE. SHE NEEDS WARM TEMPS AND LIGHTING 12-14 HOURS TO BE UP RIGHT NOW
She's a little beauty! Good luck and may you both have many years together! What is her name?