Can you identify Eastern, Western or Dalmatian?

DirtyDogs304

Location (City and/or State)
WV
The shop says that these are western hermanns. I am completely new at this. I have done a lot of research but I’m still having a hard time identifying so I need people with more experience. Do you agree that they are western? I have not purchased one yet.
I have finally decided that I want a Hermann but I want to be fully aware of exactly what I am purchasing first and already have everything set up and ready to go. Also, do you see anything in these pictures as far as the tortoises themselves that I should be concerned with? I do know that the shop owners recommendation on basking lights, humidity, substrate is much different than what is recommended in these forums. All of her animals seem very healthy to me, but after weeks of research I will definitely be following the tips that I read in these forums.
I do not have pictures of all angles but I’m hoping they are still good enough.
And if you could choose any of these 4- which would you choose? What specific things should I be looking for?

Attachments

• IMG_1513.jpeg
    IMG_1513.jpeg
    122.7 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1515.jpeg
    IMG_1515.jpeg
    183 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1517.jpeg
    IMG_1517.jpeg
    159 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1518.jpeg
    IMG_1518.jpeg
    240.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_1514.jpeg
    IMG_1514.jpeg
    58.5 KB · Views: 4

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hello and welcome.

To ID which type of hermanni these are, we need to see the cheeks, plastrons, and the inguinal scute area. I can't see any of that in the pics.

Check out these great videos from Chris at Hermanni Haven:

These tortoises look like they were grown well for the first part of their lives, but they have deep notches between the scutes in the more recent growth. This indicates a big change and excessive dryness or the wrong bulbs used in their recent history. Perhaps when the pet store got them?

You are right to be leery of the pet store recommendations. Most of the time, its pretty bad. Here is the correct care info, and there is a heating and lighting breakdown along with a temperate species care sheet near the bottom.

More questions are welcome! :)

Shelled

Oxfordshire
The middle tortoise in the last picture looks like a Kinixys to me, which needs a completely different care and has a different diet.

zovick

10 Year Member!
The middle tortoise in the last picture looks like a Kinixys to me, which needs a completely different care and has a different diet.
I agree. One of those tortoises is a Hingeback. It is also visible in the background of the third photo. Not sure which species it is. Maybe a spekii. Not homeana or erosa, though.

DirtyDogs304

WV
Hello and welcome.

To ID which type of hermanni these are, we need to see the cheeks, plastrons, and the inguinal scute area. I can't see any of that in the pics.

These tortoises look like they were grown well for the first part of their lives, but they have deep notches
These tortoises look like they were grown well for the first part of their lives, but they have deep notches between the scutes in the more recent growth. This indicates a big change and excessive dryness or the wrong bulbs used in their recent history. Perhaps when the pet store got them?
t
Hello and welcome.

You are right to be leery of the pet store recommendations. Most of the time, its pretty bad. Here is the correct care info, and there is a heating and lighting breakdown along with a temperate species care sheet near the bottom.

thanks so much! With them having deep notches, are they still considered healthy? If I buy one now and give it proper care should it be ok or is it likely that it will have future problems?
thank you so much for pointing that out! The tank that encloses the Hermanns also had a sign on one side that said hingeback. However, when I was talking to the person at the shop, they just told me they were Hermanns and I did not know the difference. Out of the four that they had in the tank, that is actually the one we were most interested in, so I am so thankful for you pointing that out to me. The person that we were speaking to was not the owner of the shop, he was just a guy helping out there, so maybe he was unaware that there was another one other than Hermann in there. So glad you told me!

Last edited:

zovick

10 Year Member!
t

thanks so much! With them having deep notches, are they still considered healthy? If I buy one now and give it proper care should it be ok or is it likely that it will have future problems?

thank you so much for pointing that out! The tank that encloses the Hermanns also had a sign on one side that said hingeback. However, when I was talking to the person at the shop, they just told me they were Hermanns and I did not know the difference. Out of the four that they had in the tank, that is actually the one we were most interested in, so I am so thankful for you pointing that out to me. The person that we were speaking to was not the owner of the shop, he was just a guy helping out there, so maybe he was unaware that there was another one other than Hermann in there. So glad you told me!
The Hingeback would be a good first tortoise. They don't brumate like the Hermann's, so would be less problematic for you through the winters.

How much were they asking for it? You can buy them from any number of sellers on Fauna and other sites. Here are some examples:

Last edited:

DirtyDogs304

WV
Hello and welcome.

The shop sent me some more pictures today. Does that help with identifying what kind they are? You had mentioned the deep notches… is that something I should be concerned about if I purchase them? Even after bringing them home and giving them proper care today could it cause problems in the future?
they did mention that in their opinion, they think all three are females. Is there one that would be your top pick?

Attachments

• IMG_0113.jpeg
    IMG_0113.jpeg
    529.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0114.jpeg
    IMG_0114.jpeg
    541.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0115.jpeg
    IMG_0115.jpeg
    673.8 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0116.jpeg
    IMG_0116.jpeg
    474.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0118.jpeg
    IMG_0118.jpeg
    545.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0117.jpeg
    IMG_0117.jpeg
    558.6 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0112.jpeg
    IMG_0112.jpeg
    465.4 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_0111.jpeg
    IMG_0111.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0102.jpeg
    IMG_0102.jpeg
    847.7 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0101.jpeg
    IMG_0101.jpeg
    588.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0100.jpeg
    IMG_0100.jpeg
    542.3 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0099.jpeg
    IMG_0099.jpeg
    402.6 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0098.jpeg
    IMG_0098.jpeg
    586.4 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0097.jpeg
    IMG_0097.jpeg
    761.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_0096.jpeg
    IMG_0096.jpeg
    525.8 KB · Views: 1

DirtyDogs304

WV
The Hingeback would be a good first tortoise. They don't brumate like the Hermann's, so would be less problematic for you through the winters.

How much were they asking for it? You can buy them from any number of sellers on Fauna and other sites. Here are some examples:

Thanks for the links. I’ll check them out! Since just finding out that the one is a hinge back, I’ve only had a few minutes to do any type of research on them, but I was reading that they are actually hard to care for. Whatever I get will be kept indoors. I had decided on the Hermann because they are on the smaller side and seem to have an outgoing, active personality. I didn’t know until you pointed it out that a hingeback was an option.😂 i’ll definitely do some more research on them now. I didn’t ask the price for the hinge back but it seemed that most of their tortoises were $200. I’ll let you know if I go that route.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Thanks for the links. I’ll check them out! Since just finding out that the one is a hinge back, I’ve only had a few minutes to do any type of research on them, but I was reading that they are actually hard to care for. Whatever I get will be kept indoors. I had decided on the Hermann because they are on the smaller side and seem to have an outgoing, active personality. I didn’t know until you pointed it out that a hingeback was an option.😂 i’ll definitely do some more research on them now. I didn’t ask the price for the hinge back but it seemed that most of their tortoises were $200. I’ll let you know if I go that route.
#two looks like a male to me. The other two look like females.

zovick

10 Year Member!
If you buy a captive bred Hingeback, it will be easier to keep than a wild caught one, but they are more costly than WC ones. There are two distinct types of Hingebacks, the forest Hingebacks (Kinixys erosa and K. homeana), and the savannah/grassland type Hingebacks. The forest Hingebacks are more difficult to keep for beginners. That is probably what you read.

The Speke's Hingebacks are not that difficult to keep and several ads currently running on Fauna have captive bred Speke's babies and yearlings available if you are interested in them. With the Hingebacks you won't have to worry about the tortoise slowing down and not wanting to eat every winter and having to decide whether to brumate it or try to keep it active all winter, either of which can sometimes be a challenge.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The shop sent me some more pictures today. Does that help with identifying what kind they are? You had mentioned the deep notches… is that something I should be concerned about if I purchase them? Even after bringing them home and giving them proper care today could it cause problems in the future?
they did mention that in their opinion, they think all three are females. Is there one that would be your top pick?
There is no way for us to know if it is healthy.

I would not buy anything from a pet shop that was mixing species like that. The chances of them passing various pathogens back and forth is far too great. Buy your tortoise from a breeder that houses them correctly and can give you better care advice.

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Hello, just stumbled across your post. I’m not an expert, but these all look like Eastern Herman’s tortoises to me. One looks like it could be a hybrid of western and eastern, but I’m pretty sure none of them are pure Western, and most likely Eastern. Here is a picture of my Tuscany Western Hermann’s IMG_5837.jpeg
vs my Eastern:
IMG_6518.jpeg
It’s probably less likely you will find Western’s in your local pet stores. Either way, both do have great personalities and are a pleasure to have.
I’d agree with Tom about those particular ones.
Maybe check with Garden State Tortoise for either type to purchase one.