Can you show me how you cover your enclosures? (pics)

dwright27

5 Year Member
Also how did you get yours interested in the cuttle bone? Mine won't touch it

christinaland128

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Metro Detroit
My bin is 4ft. It's a Christmas tree storage bin. I got it from Blaine's Farm and Fleet, but haven't seen any that size recently.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
Thanks guys, I know I'm being paranoid. I have foil tape I can line things with as well.

I'm still looking at enclosures, mostly on this site. I didn't realize the cold frame design was called cold frame.. So that is helping! I also like the raised garden kits, but I need to find one that is expandable and available in Ontario (I really don't want to think about the shipping from Europe lol)
I actually have a shower curtain liner that has only been used once (it's way too long for our bathroom)
I didn't know what to seal wood with, but now I'm pretty sure I could use epoxy...? It's just a matter of cutting out the proper sized holes and having access to the tank.

The lava rock is in small chunks and it's supposed to allow for the growth of beneficial bacteria. But yeah there is a barrier there so the tort shouldn't be able to scratch himself on it. (should have seen my nails after handling the stuff..)
Some people here on the forum have made great enclosures with the raised garden bed with the greenhouse over the top. It came as a kit and I got it off Amazon. I think it was lifetime brand, plastic 4 x 4' but you could connect to together and make it 4 x 8. And they hung the lights from the frame of the greenhouse. It was pretty slick. Search through the enclosure section and you should be able to find it.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
This is going to be my next project for my little leopard as soon as I can find the time and set aside a day to build it. I plan on making a somewhat "tu(tort)ial" on the setup and the overall cost. It is a mini greenhouse off of amazon 2x4 feet.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CBB7FYU/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

I plan on making a wooden base that fits snug around the mini greenhouse and then covering the base in a plastic drop cloth to make it tort and weather proof. There are bars to hang lights as well as the perfect access panels and a great way to hold humidity for a 45$ tent.

dwright27

5 Year Member
I've been looking at the gardens, I just wasn't sure if they could be expanded. I also need something with a bottom to hold the water I pour in.

2 x 4 is basically what I have now, which he's going to outgrow. At this point I'm trying to figure out a permanent indoor home for when he's fully grown. But maybe there is a larger Zenport?

mikeylazer

5 Year Member
I know a little while ago @Elohi made a garden bed enclosure for her 3 leopard tortoises. The raised bed set comes with 2 4x4 garden beds and a little tent that goes over top to trap humidity. She has them stacked right now so they are 4x4 but you can turn it into an 4x8 when they need more space. You can even buy more and more and keep adding them to increase it as you please. Here is the link for those beds.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055FSKPW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

My current struggle is to purchase this and have basically a forever indoor home for my little leopard, or to by the 2x4 one and have to increase down the road.

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I know a little while ago @Elohi made a garden bed enclosure for her 3 leopard tortoises. The raised bed set comes with 2 4x4 garden beds and a little tent that goes over top to trap humidity. She has them stacked right now so they are 4x4 but you can turn it into an 4x8 when they need more space. You can even buy more and more and keep adding them to increase it as you please. Here is the link for those beds.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0055FSKPW/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

My current struggle is to purchase this and have basically a forever indoor home for my little leopard, or to by the 2x4 one and have to increase down the road.
I would say get the biggest one you can now. Otherwise you're just going to keep upgrading and upgrading, it's cheaper in the long run to go big now :) I learned this the hard way. you can always block off part of it if your tortoise is too small for it right now.

naturalman91

10 Year Member!
Medford Oregon
this cost 48 dollars on amazon with free shipping all i did was make a garden bed and connect it to it works great holds humidity and temps perfect
0210151645.jpg

dwright27

5 Year Member
Naturalman, what are the dimensions on that?

Also for those who use the garden beds, what do you use as a bottom?

dwright27

5 Year Member
Hmm.. okay. I figured if it was meant to be outside it wouldn't have a bottom.. but I'll look into it further. Thanks.

Mark L

40 gal breeder tank with a large Tupperware lid. Cut a hole for the CHE and a rectangle for the UVB. I saved the rectangle cut out to replace light hole when the light is off. Makes it a lil more air tight. A spritz in the am and a spritz before bed. This is their night/evening home. They have an outdoor enclose for the day time.....
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1431917699.129221.jpg

dwright27

5 Year Member
Smartypants. :p
I think my tank might be a little too big to do that, but I'll look around. :) thanks!

mikeylazer

5 Year Member

The post that @naturalman91 put up of his enclosure is the Zenport I was referring to earlier. It is 2x4 feet and i want to say about 3ft high. My girlfriend uses has one for her redcoat and I plan on getting one soon for my little leopard.

mikeylazer

5 Year Member

I know @Elohi used a foam mat and then placed a thick shower curtain or drop cloth down inside, and kept it latched in-between the two garden beds.