Captive bred? or wild caught?

Kjklea08

Location (City and/or State)
New Haven
Well we got them from a breeder on this forum that said they were captive bred. But I'm wondering if I was duped.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
The carapace, though mottled in color, does not show a lot of wear and tear (especially if its been living outdoors), and the abdomen between the carapace and plastron is very round (well fed). That makes me think CB.

Is that sand? Sand is a terrible substrate for a number of reasons.

This is the most successful care information:

ZenHerper

New Jersey
In the tortoise/turtle hobby, the carapace is measured as a "straight length". That is, the carapace is not measured as the entire distance over the bump, but just from behind the head to the back of the shell looking down on a stiff ruler (not a measuring tape). "Straight carapace length" is also called SCL. In the strictly scientific process of measuring, SCL is measured with calipers.

So 4 inches is probably truthful.

No tortoise likes to move home, but how does s/he behave when handled? Stays all tightly sucked in, or curious and loose?

Kjklea08

New Haven
Oh he is very curious! He was very active as soon as we got him and started eating straight away. Even ate some from us and then investigated his new home. Didn't act shy at all at first. As the day went on he started getting more tired and you could tell he just wanted rest from his long journey.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Oh he is very curious! He was very active as soon as we got him and started eating straight away. Even ate some from us and then investigated his new home. Didn't act shy at all at first. As the day went on he started getting more tired and you could tell he just wanted rest from his long journey.
So, I like to Assume Good Intentions with private breeders. If you had a positive interaction before shipping, don't hesitate to reach out to the seller with any specific concerns you have.

Recently wild caught animals are generally dazed, confused, and prone to fasting. If they've been in captivity for a number of years, or are particularly "chill" in their natural personality, they can appear happily "domesticated".

If you post a photo of the plastron and tail, you can get some opinions about sex. A smallish male may be mature at 4 inches (reptiles are classed by size and not age where sexual maturity is concerned, so you have the general and sometimes subjective divisions of Hatchling, Juvenile, Adult).

Some sellers re-sell animals they've received in trade arrangements with other hobbyists/retailers. So if a misstatement of origin is in play, it may be one step removed. People I've worked with who did not breed an animal themselves have been honest about where/how they acquired it.

Ultimately, IMO - do you like this tortoise? Do you see yourself giving it care for its lifetime (and possibly beyond yours)?

If you suspect it's WC, or that it's been living outdoors for a period of time, consider taking a sample of fresh stool to your veteriarian's office for an analysis for intestinal parasites. If you do end up with something to treat for, follow up that course of treatment with a reptile-labelled probiotic replacement.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Who did you get it from?

The shell looks too perfect to be CB. It doesn't show the usual captive growth characteristics. On the other hand, it looks too perfect to be WC because it isn't all chunked up and chipped. It does have the typical "weathered" look of a WC, and its the right size for an import. Someone selling a CB would usually be selling smaller ones. This one is the exact size they like to import them at. As close to 4", without going under, as possible.

Based on all of the above, I'd guess that it is WC, but I couldn't argue if the person who raised it said otherwise and explained how they got it to look like that in a captive environment.

Kjklea08

New Haven
We got it from Southern Reptiles which looks like a reputable breeder. We found them from this forum and they have a good following on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube. I'd like to believe they were honest with us and he just looks WC but really is CB.