Caterpillar Question

Len B

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
These are all over the mulberry trees this year, They don't seem to do much damage to the trees but if they touch your skin they can set it on fire, (very irritating) .Any ideas on what they turn into, moth - butterfly ? If they are beneficial as adults I will leave them alone if not, well you know.Picture 1997 copy.jpg Picture 1995 copy 2.jpg They do get fuzzier as they get bigger.

Loohan

5 Year Member
North-Central Arkansas
I seem to recall there are Tent Caterpillars, Bagworms, and Webworms, and these are 3 different things, but they all do a lot of damage. I dunno what they turn into but if you google those terms you might find out.
Baccillus Thuringensis is an effective pesticide for these.

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I seem to recall there are Tent Caterpillars, Bagworms, and Webworms, and these are 3 different things, but they all do a lot of damage. I dunno what they turn into but if you google those terms you might find out.
Baccillus Thuringensis is an effective pesticide for these.
Thanks, I've never heard the term web worms, but that is what they are, and next year they will become snow white moths, Like I thought they don't do much damage, only cosmetic. they are beautiful small moths as adults so no reason to kill them. I did cut the limbs they are on so now no chance bumping into them and getting those little buggers on me. I will pile the limbs in a safe place and make sure they have plenty of fresh tree limbs to eat and nest on until they cocoon.