caught off guard new sulcata owner

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
As long as it's not a curly shaped compact fluorescent bulb and as long as it provides heat, it's ok. Afterall, it's only temporary until you get the outdoor yard set up.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Try offering the tortoise some endive and escarole. Any of the dark, leafy greens you can buy at the store. Most of them won't eat grass YOU pick, preferring to pick their own.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
that's a pretty nice TEMPORARY box to keep the tortoise in, but not nearly big enough for it to live in.

Angryfab

She built it based on the one it was in in the pet shop I was going to build a big one for the out side

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Well, you're right, the pet store sold her the wrong light. As long as the tortoise will be going outside soon, you don't need a UVB light. Just put up a regular 100 watt incandescent bulb over her for heat. The other thing is fine, as it provides heat without light and you can keep it on the tortoise at night.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
0ee58967-2289-4ed9-bfe9-d961d5e6bcd7_1000.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Since mine lives outside all the time (heated shed) he goes out no matter how cold it is. But you want to make sure the tortoise can get back in to be warm.

Angryfab

Since mine lives outside all the time (heated shed) he goes out no matter how cold it is. But you want to make sure the tortoise can get back in to be warm.
Got ya I was going to put her out a just let her Rome for an hour or so hoping she will eat something

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Got ya I was going to put her out a just let her Rome for an hour or so hoping she will eat something

As long as the sun is shining, that should be ok. Do you have a sheltered area with full sun?