CDT hatchling help please?

AmordeAbba

Location (City and/or State)
Southern CA
Are hatchlings heavy sleepers? I went to check on mine and he is not opening his eyes. He was earlier though. He moves when I touch him but I can't get him to open his eyes. Should I be concerned? I put a little water on him and he just moved but didn't open his eyes.

AmordeAbba

Southern CA
What's his temps? I wonder if he's trying to go into hibernation. How old is he?
Not sure how old he is. He roamed on to my back yard the day before yesterday & I was told he is still a hatchling. I barely got a 75w lamp turned on in his enclosure & he was outside in the sun all day & was in his hide most of the day when he was out there. His eyes were open when I was soaking him in warm water this morning. It's night time now and they are not opening. I was checking on him since he was in there most of the day and he moves but wont open his eyes.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Hatchlings do like to sleep a lot so it may be that. Turn of the light for the night if you haven't already.

G-stars

5 Year Member
Southern California
Until you get a night heat alternative without light I guess it's ok. A CHE hooked up to a thermostat works well for night time heat. I say let him sleep tonight and reevaluate him in the am after a warm soaking.

AmordeAbba

Southern CA
His eyes opened and he is eating now! Yay! He must have just been real sleepy! I must have annoyed him and he woke up. Thank God! Whew! :D

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
If you are forcing the tort to remain awake during the winter months...you should acquire a night heat source...either a Ceramic heat emitter or a black night heat bulb will do the trick...

crimson_lotus

10 Year Member!
Massachusetts
You don't have a coil bulb, do you? If you took the advice and turned the light off for the night, I figured that might be the reason.

AmordeAbba

Southern CA
Read this thread again. Pay particular attention to number 6. This cannot wait.
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Also it was pretty cool out here yesterday. I'd keep a baby inside most of the day where temps are warm and controlled.

Thank you I just saw this. I got an actual heat lamp yesterday and after I upped it he warmed up and now he's walking around eating and both eyes are wide open.