Changed behaviour - need I worry?

Reptilian Feline

Location (City and/or State)
Sweden
TankGirl is growing. She used to love to beg for the wet dog kibble and devour the crispy snacks fibre and would turn her nose up to dandelion and other fresh greens. She would happily sleep in her waterdish.

Now... she doesn't like the dog kibble and hardly touches the crispy snacks fibre. She eats dandelion leaves. The waterdish is now only useful as someting to bang on the glass with, and she digs, digs, digs.

I have given her more substrate, covered two sides of the enclosure with towels, to see if that made her more secure. No dice. Still digging and trying to get out.
I had to remove the waterdish because I was afraid she would break the glass. She gets long daily soaks instead and drinks now when she is in the bath. Because she eats less, she poops less, but when she does it looks OK, but with more long fibres from the dandelion leaves.
She still loves fruit, so I bought a fresh mango so she could get more fibres. It was OK, but she prefers the banana.

When I let her out and the food isn't to her liking, she will find a corner somewhere and go to sleep; quiet, long sleep.

Is she becomming a teenager? Hormones raging? Just bored? We had a heatwave that lasted the summer through. Is she used to hotter climate now? I can put the heat up for her, but I don't want her to get too hot.

She is digging so much that a smaller waterdish is instantly upended or filled with substrate.

I'm planning to build her a wooden enclosure, but that will take a while. It has to be waterproof.
She changed her behaviour when the temp went down after the summer heat. I've had her over a year without a problem in her current setup, no problem.

Embers, the little one, is doing fine in his enclosure, maybe digging a bit more as well, but other than that, just fine.

So - to sum up - with everyting equal, why is she suddenly changing her behaviour?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One day ALL of my RF stopped eating grape leaves and now my lone adult doesn't like boiled egg.
It happens.
Lucky for us, RF can and do eat hundreds of different things.
It seems that they start to prefer other things after a while.
Too bad. I have an entire fence covered in useless grape vine now.
As far as the digging. Is it possible that your enclosure is simply too small?

Attachments

• 20180603_102420.jpg
    20180603_102420.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 25

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
One day ALL of my RF stopped eating grape leaves and now my lone adult doesn't like boiled egg.
It happens.
Lucky for us, RF can and do eat hundreds of different things.
It seems that they start to prefer other things after a while.
Too bad. I have an entire fence covered in useless grape vine now.
As far as the digging. Is it possible that your enclosure is simply too small?
At least you can make plenty of wine. ;)

Reptilian Feline

Sweden
If TankGirl could have her way, the entire bottom floor would be hers :)

I'm glad it's nothing to really worry about. I will continue to take her out, give her a bath and let her eat what she likes ;)