Wierd behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Just a suggestion that have helped mine - I keep the light on for 12 hours like you do, but I turn off the heat at night - no red bulb. (My house heater is set to come on at 60 at night, so it is never colder than that in my house - and I wouldn't suggest you let it get any colder than that.) This allows them to cool down a little. Mine have really benefited from having an obvious day/night cycle - sleeping at night and waking when the bright, warm light comes on. When they wake up, the start to move around, soak, eat ... etc.

One more thing about getting her to eat better greens - you can mix them in for a while, slowly increasing the better greens. When I have rescues that won't eat anything but iceberg I make a lettuce burrito - with the good greens rolled up in the iceberg. They get used to the taste of the new greens and are soon moved over. Works every time! :)

vickyb

5 Year Member
Thanks for the tip. I will try the above suggestions...

I switched the bulb to the daylight one at 100W and now the max temp I have recorded is 78.5 in the centre of the HOT area.....

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
You switched what bulb to the daylight one? A little confused.

PS How has your tort been doing since some of the changes? You keeping the humidity up?

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Ditto on the confused... I thought we were aiming for 85-88F in the hot spot?

vickyb

5 Year Member
With 150W bulb, the HOT area surface temperature (at substrate level) was reaching 110F. I swapped it out for a 100W Daylight Spot.. apparently more "dispersed" lighting and the temperature now dropped to 78F. I am lost :(

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Go back to the 150w and move it a bit further away if you can.

DoctorCosmonaut

10 Year Member!
Oregon
Hmmm I would disagree and maybe look at the enclosure and its openness first before changing the lighting back out for the other bulb. Near 80 is definately better than 110. Could you post a picture of your set up? We could give you such better advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.