changing substrate, holding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

callieisspooky

5 Year Member
How often should I be changing my baby sulcata's substrate? I don't see any poop in it (she only seems to poop in her daily soaks), it doesn't smell funny, but I thought maybe I should be changing it regularly anyway? It's a large tub, about 4'x2.5', with one baby sulcata, about 3" long. Thank you.

On another subject, is it ok for my kids to hold baby sulcata? I have them sit down on the floor, put a towel on their laps, and put baby on top of the towel. Sulcata seems fine. But, we took her to the kids' preschool the other day, and let the kids hold her in their laps (while sitting on the floor), with very close adult supervision of course. Sulcata seemed a little nervous while being passed (by an adult), but fine once her feet were on a lap. Is this ok, every once in awhile?

I don't know if anyone remembers, but our little baby wasn't eating very much when we first brought her home. Thanks to the advice here, she is now eating up a storm and very active! Baby sulcata thanks you!

mctlong

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SF Valley, SoCal
So glad to hear that she's eating! :)

Handling once in a while is fine as long as the animal does not appear to be getting too stressed. I would just recommend having the kids wash their hands with antibacterial soap after handling the tort because these little torts will occasionally walk in their own poo and get germs on their shells. Don't let the kids kiss the tort. If you're having multiple people handle the animal, I'd also recommend requiring everyone (kids and adults alike) to rinse their hands with sanitizer before touching the hatchling to protect the hatchling from germs.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I used coconut coir for substrate and never changed it out. It was packed down pretty good so that I could just pick up any poop. There were several times a year that I would take it all out and bake it in the oven to kill bugs and hopefully any bacteria. I have read that some people freeze for the same reason.

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I too use coco coir, I make sure to get any poop or pee out daily. So by doing that I am changing it once every 3 months or so. Alot of people wait for many months before they change it, but I am just afraid of some sort of bacteria taking hold in the habitat. Hope this is helpful. :)Barb:

stinax182

5 Year Member
Springfield, Massachusetts
with spot cleaning, i change the area she eats in once a month and the entire enclosure every 3 months or so. or depending on if it smells or i have missed poop/food. i also have coco coir for substrate. i notice i get little gnats around the enclosure...possibly from the food or the live plants and seeds i grow inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.