Changing weather

Tort_nube

I live in Illinois and fall has officially hit. It is in the 60's during the day mostly and though I love it I want to know if it's okay for my baby sulcata. My sulcata is around 48 grams and I used to let her outside during the day under my supervision when it was warmer. Now I fear it's a bit to cold. Is it to cold to let my sulcata outside now? Does size have anything to do with cold tolerance? I'm just worried she's to small to take this kind of cold dry weather.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
If its sunny, dry and not windy, then pull out your temp gun and check some surface temps of sunny areas. If its in the 80s on those surface, then your tortoise should be fine outside for an hour or so. Temp the carapace a few times while he's out there to make sure he's staying warm enough. I have large black tubs that I sun my baby tortoises in over winter on "cold" days. Works very well for me.

Tort_nube

If its sunny, dry and not windy, then pull out your temp gun and check some surface temps of sunny areas. If its in the 80s on those surface, then your tortoise should be fine outside for an hour or so. Temp the carapace a few times while he's out there to make sure he's staying warm enough. I have large black tubs that I sun my baby tortoises in over winter on "cold" days. Works very well for me.
Thank you I'm going to try that

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
The closer we get to winter the lower UV levels get. Early morning and late afternoon UV levels are much lower than mid day. Just keep that in mind if you are sunning for UV purposes.

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
I live in Illinois and fall has officially hit. It is in the 60's during the day mostly and though I love it I want to know if it's okay for my baby sulcata. My sulcata is around 48 grams and I used to let her outside during the day under my supervision when it was warmer. Now I fear it's a bit to cold. Is it to cold to let my sulcata outside now? Does size have anything to do with cold tolerance? I'm just worried she's to small to take this kind of cold dry weather.
As they get bigger they will hold their heat longer. I really didn't notice it much until my sulcata was well over 25 pounds. Your fear is a healthy one. Please be cautious when taking your small sulcata outside on a 60° day. Follow Tom's advice and monitor the carapace temp while outside.