CHE questions and concerns

smarch

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I'm entering winter#3 with my Nank, I've changes a lot over my years including swapping out the CFL UVB I didn't know was bad for a new MVB this year. So its also time to think of changing out he red light everyone seems to dislike for a CHE... but I have questions and concerns i'd like addressed first.

I'll need a new light fixture, I have a dual bulb fixture that says don't use with CHEs, I know that's easy i'll just look for a clamp one and hang it from the ceiling (since I know clamps are bad and often fail) I have a 20 gal tank and possibly will through the winter (this is not stated to be addressed I know its bad, its stated so you know the situation it'll be heating) What strength would be good (are they measured in watts too?)
I've read about "hot spots" and very high temps, these all alarm me, how can I use it in a way I wont have to worry about a fire starting? Should I be worried about fire? What's a good brand to get (moneys not a giant issue but try to be nice)? Whats a good thermostat to get with it? or do they come with thermostats? at night is a arm side and cool side still important or is heating the center so its all warm(ish) good?
I'm just so nervous since its not like a regular light bulb like all the others were and this genuinely scares me, but I know its much better for them than the red light that most likely actually does disturb the sleep.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Also energy costs, since I live with the parents and don't pay the electrical bill so they get frustrated at cost spikes

chaseswife

5 Year Member
I refused to use my CHE till I got a thermostat to use with it. The sensor that turns it off if it gets to hot sticks out of the ground right below the CHE, so I know that even at the hottest part off the enclosure is still cool enough for my tortoise.

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
I refused to use my CHE till I got a thermostat to use with it. The sensor that turns it off if it gets to hot sticks out of the ground right below the CHE, so I know that even at the hottest part off the enclosure is still cool enough for my tortoise.
I wouldn't get it and not have a thermostat, its like an extra safety net. I assume that means they're separate and not built in thermostats all the time?

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
For a 20 gallon glass enclosure you won't need a very high wattage CHE to create and maintain a nice warm area. Small area like your 20g will heat up easily, especially if you have a lid/ cover on it.

There are various wattage sizes, heres a link to get u looking: http://www.bigappleherp.com/Heat-Wave-Ceramic-Infrared-Lamps-Special-Wattages
I've actually always been surprised about how it doesn't heat up too horribly and I can maintain a warm and cool side relatively easy... by no means is it great but it heats up less fast than id think. I do have a cover kind of, its a screen cap so he doesn't jump out since his substrate is deep so he can dig so he's close enough to the top to make an escape off his log if he really tried... and he's a Russian he's try lol. but the 40watt on that site sounds great and much less threatning than something big like I've been picturing... although yes I knew it wouldn't be big but they're all so big and scary in my head lol. Is that a good brand? They're less expensive than i'd imagined.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
How cold does your house get at night? Most people keep their houses above 60F at least! ..and in that case, you don't need any night heat for your tort.
That saves you $ since you don't need to buy anything and it saves your parents $ from no spike in the electric bill.

In the rare case your house temps drop below 50F or your live in a refrigerator (kidding) then let me know and I'll share some "night heat" info ;)

smarch

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
How cold does your house get at night? Most people keep their houses above 60F at least! ..and in that case, you don't need any night heat for your tort.
That saves you $ since you don't need to buy anything and it saves your parents $ from no spike in the electric bill.

In the rare case your house temps drop below 50F or your live in a refrigerator (kidding) then let me know and I'll share some "night heat" info ;)
He lives in our finished basement, we keep the house above 60 yes (and sometimes in the summer I do consider taking up residence in my fridge!) but the basement gets lower, its already in the 67° range at night, its not uninhabitable since that's where the cat get closed to sleep, but it does get a little to chilly for a tort in the mid winter months here in MA.
So far my 100watt night red bulb has done fine in the 2.5 years ive had it, but ive read theyre not good due to sleep patterns (and if I replaced it with another i'd go for the 75 watt so its a cooler setting than my day MVB. I could use some expertise though :)

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
I stand by my advice that if your basement temps don't drop below 60F, I wouldn't add night heat. It's just not needed. I never supplied night heat for the Russians. And although it was outdoors in So Cal, you're talking about indoors.

If you are set on night heat, I'm sure others will help you figure out what to/how to do it.

It's good to hear that you care about your tort and want to learn so you can do right by him :)