Cherry Head vs. Redfoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Defiant

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arizona
I was curious if there were any real differences between cherryheads and normal redfoots. Aside from an avg of 2 inches. There is a 100% price difference but that is all I know so far. =D

cordell

5 Year Member
I believe the cherryhead has a cherry head, more color to the head. From what I have seen that and the size seems to be it, anyone?

cordell

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Right now, 'cherryheads' are considered a regional color variation of Red-foots. The size variation is within normal ranges for Red-foots, which range from 10-24" as adults with the average of about 12".

Now, let's make it a little more complicated. Red-foots from north of the Amazon and those from south of it have consistently different habitats (drier, wider temp variants, etc.), a 'spur' on the inside of the front elbows, larger adult sizes, different shell shapes, and consistently different plastron patterns. It is possible that they are really two different species.

And a little bit more... many experts believe that the Southern Red-foot group MIGHT be worthy of being broken into 2 species or sub-species- Eastern Brazilian ('cherryheads') and Bolivian.

The basic cares are about the same, but cherryheads are considered somewhat hardier. People like Terry Kilgore report that theirs are often out in cooler temps than his other Red-foots, etc. In the wild, 'northern' Red-foots go after figs big time while southern Red-foots are big on cacti pads and fruit, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.