Cherryhead won't eat

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Medford Oregon
CHE is 10 inches from the floor. It's 100w. But from what I understand, they don't heat the air, only what is directly below it so what other heating options do I have? Ive also read that heat rocks aren't effective.

add another CHE and what you read is wrong CHE's produce a ambient heat yes there is a little focus but the red bulbs only warm directly below them with a lot more focus

is your top open or covered? if it's open that would explain heat problems

chrisisme

add another CHE and what you read is wrong CHE's produce a ambient heat yes there is a little focus but the red bulbs only warm directly below them with a lot more focus

is your top open or covered? if it's open that would explain heat problems
It's technically open. Screen top. I'll get another CHE tomorrow. Where do I source UVA from? The tank light only provides UVB.

naturalman91

5 Year Member
Medford Oregon
It's technically open. Screen top. I'll get another CHE tomorrow. Where do I source UVA from? The tank light only provides UVB.

UVA is mostly the heat side of a light that's it

you could try covering the top with aluminum foil it helps hold in heat and humidity fairly well

personally like i said before i think it's just to bright on the tort

chrisisme

UVA is mostly the heat side of a light that's it

you could try covering the top with aluminum foil it helps hold in heat and humidity fairly well

personally like i said before i think it's just to bright on the tort
Ok so, taking everything into consideration, I'm thinking of buying a small, under tank heat mat and attatch to a temp regulator. Keep my CHE and my UVB and see how well I can keep the temp consistent. Have you used a heat mat? Recommend it or nah? If not what else would be good and what kind of plants can I plant and how do I plant them(potted or in substrate)?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You don't need to worry about UVA. All you want is UVB. And if you have your lights sitting on the screen, that might be one of your problems. I don't recommend those stick-to-the-tank mats. They get too hot. I really think what you need to do is get rid of the screen and cover the whole ball of wax, tank, lights and all. I just use cooking foil. It doesn't look pretty, but it serves the purpose:

baby box turtles 9-19-14 a.jpg

This is a very small plastic tub because the babies in there are only about the size of a nickel (baby box turtles).

You can leave the plants in the pots and sit them down on the bare floor then pile the substrate up around the pot.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I abstain from using lights as heat sources and rely entirely on CHE's and oil filled heaters to warm my enclosures. I like this because I can use light exclusively to illuminate and keep temps constant with the heating devices. Zoo med 500 R thermostats in combination with CHE's have worked well for me in the past. I just switched to a herpstat 4 and love it but it comes with a hefty price tag.

chrisisme

I abstain from using lights as heat sources and rely entirely on CHE's and oil filled heaters to warm my enclosures. I like this because I can use light exclusively to illuminate and keep temps constant with the heating devices. Zoo med 500 R thermostats in combination with CHE's have worked well for me in the past. I just switched to a herpstat 4 and love it but it comes with a hefty price tag.
I looked at the herpstat 4. I wish I could get one but at $400 I'll have to wait. What kind of oil heater are you using and is it in the tank?

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I looked at the herpstat 4. I wish I could get one but at $400 I'll have to wait. What kind of oil heater are you using and is it in the tank?
CHE's and the zoomed thermostats should suit your needs for the size of your enclosure. Both are affordable. I have a 4x8 ft closed chamber so I needed a larger heater.

chrisisme

Update: changed the blue UVA to a CHE and turned off the red bulb. When temp raised to 80 he came out and ate some more strawberry and turnip greens that he left last night. He's under his heat lamp now. Thanks for all the input. Like I said, I am new but definitely determined to keep him for lifetime. I love the little guy already and just want the best for him.

HLogic

5 Year Member
Florida, USA

I use an older model HerpStat 1 in my incubator. It keeps temps within +/- 0.2 degrees Celcius. Maybe the HerpStat Intro Is more in line with budget. I would have no hesitation using any of his proportional thermostats.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I stick the heat emitters into a hole on the screen top of the tank. The top of the tank is covered with clear wrapping tape to keep in the humidity. 015-24.jpg

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
I stick the heat emitters into a hole on the screen top of the tank. The top of the tank is covered with clear wrapping tape to keep in the humidity. View attachment 118851
This is exactly what I do by building CHE lamp holders from Lowes: http://www.redfoots.com/emitter/color.htm
You have to be sure the sockets are solid ceramic. If they're plastic the CHE's will melt them and you have a major fire hazard (almost a guarantee) on your hands.

I also use closed chambers - there are no openings in the enclosure. http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/new-redfoot-enclosure-lots-of-pictures.108727/
I have additional thread links in my signature. The closed chambers keep humidity and heat in.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
Chris, mine is pretty much closed too, although not as sophisticated as yours. Everything is closed with the clear wrapping tape, except there's an opening for the long UVB. Yes, only ceramic fixtures for the CHE. I use the same set up for my small box turtles that don't go out to hibernate.

Redstrike

10 Year Member!
New York
Chris, mine is pretty much closed too, although not as sophisticated as yours. Everything is closed with the clear wrapping tape, except there's an opening for the long UVB. Yes, only ceramic fixtures for the CHE. I use the same set up for my small box turtles that don't go out to hibernate.
Not as sophisticated?! You have incredibly planted vivariums! Are you kidding me?!