Choosing a tort

Tort1419

Ok I'm thinking russian but now I'm thinking something else, I need a tortoise that is flexible with : being outside when it is raining, and can handle low extreme and high extreme temp. Lastly it has to be smaller than a sulcata adult

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Where do you live?

With a proper shelter, just about any species can live outside, depending on where you are.

Every species is smaller than a sulcata with the exception of Galops and Aldabras.

Tort1419

Where do you live?

With a proper shelter, just about any species can live outside, depending on where you are.

Every species is smaller than a sulcata with the exception of Galops and Aldabras.

I live in Indiana

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
In that case you'll need an elaborate indoor set up for any species.

Smaller species like the Testudo genus will be much easier to house in indoor quarters over winter. Or you could hibernate them too.

Most of the other species are more tropical in nature and will get large enough to need an entire heated room over winter.

I think the russian would be an excellent choice for you.

Tort1419

Ok so a russian tort now I can have him outside in the water months but here is where I get confused, so let's say my rt is a baby i let it stay out in the outside enclosure during the warmer months but during the night I take him inside, what about rain, can he stay in the rain, also what temp is to cold for him to stay outside at and what is too hot for him to stay out with him, lastly when he is an adult (what age would he be an adult or be ready to do these stipulations, can stay out in the rain, but I don't have to take him inside every night and what about temp ranges

johnsonnboswell

5 Year Member
It depends on the temps, on the drainage, and on the rain. They don't do well in cold wet.

Alex77

I have my tort indoors on all but the driest, hot sunny days (I live quite far north tho.) correct me if I'm wrong but I thought there was a risk of drowning if they stay outside in rain? And cold below 25 degrees celsius would be bad. So I wouldn't get a tort unless I was was building them an indoor enclosure that they can use for at least oh, half the year.

Lets not forget that climate change is playing havoc with the weather too, these days; so even in Indiana, there are no guarantees anymore. So again, having an indoor set up to fall back on is a must.

Perhaps i misunderstood your post but, It does sound a bit as if you are planning to leave the tort outdoors at all times. in my honest opinion, this would be bad for the tort.

phebe121

Im not really sure theres any tort that does cold well unless hibernating so if you dont want to hibernate then have a tort table inside for cold nights and cold winters that will have to be heated