Clicking beak?

Cordycord

Location (City and/or State)
Manila
Noticed that my tortoise’s beak suddenly clicks while eating. Any idea what’s causing it?

Here’s a video - https://streamable.com/zkz51o

The pile of mazuri is my attempt to give him his medicine (vet gave him something for worms) but he just took a few bites and turned away. Any tips on that as well? 😅

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hello and welcome! Cute baby!😍

That is indeed a little strange, let me tag these guys and see what they think @Tom @wellington

In the meantime I don’t suppose you’d mind including some more info on how you’re keeping them? It’s so helpful with newer members! And photos of your full set up would be great!😊

How are your temperatures reading both day and night?

What kind of lighting/heating are you using? Packaging photos are handy!

What kind of indoor uv?

How are your humidity levels?

Is that orchid bark you use?

How’s their diet been with you? I have a great list I can share with a bunch of stuff we feed ours if you want to check it out for some variety ideas🙂

Also may I ask what made the vet want to worm the tortoise? Was a fecal sample ran? Any worrying symptoms that made you want to deworm?

The_Four_Toed_Edward

Finland
Could you try wrapping the meds with the soaked pellets into a roll of lettuce? Maybe smear some cucumber juice to make it more desirable.

Cordycord

Manila
Hello and welcome! Cute baby!😍

That is indeed a little strange, let me tag these guys and see what they think @Tom @wellington

In the meantime I don’t suppose you’d mind including some more info on how you’re keeping them? It’s so helpful with newer members! And photos of your full set up would be great!😊

How are your temperatures reading both day and night?

What kind of lighting/heating are you using? Packaging photos are handy!

What kind of indoor uv?

How are your humidity levels?

Is that orchid bark you use?

How’s their diet been with you? I have a great list I can share with a bunch of stuff we feed ours if you want to check it out for some variety ideas🙂

Also may I ask what made the vet want to worm the tortoise? Was a fecal sample ran? Any worrying symptoms that made you want to deworm?

Hi, thanks! ooh I actually don't have a photo because I'm out right now but as for the other info:
1. Outdoor enclosure that gets natural sunlight in the AM. I don't keep him indoors as I live in a tropical country and the temps and humidity are pretty good w/ a little tweaking.
2. Humidity is 75-85% right now its at 95% cause it's been raining.
3. Temps are 29-32 in the morning and 28 in the evening. Right now its at 26 cause of the rain
4. Substrate is orchid bark & coco coir.
5. He has plants in there - boston fern, spider plant, thyme, rosemary. A hide and water bowl + slate feeding plate.
6. He rarely burrows but he does when its colder (like now at 26 degrees and raining). He also isn't very active in this weather.
7. I soak him daily for 20 minutes.

Yes, the vet checked his stool. Didn't see any symptoms other than his poop was a bit runny for a few days.

He eats a mix of kale, mulberry leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, some fruits (berries, melons, mangoes, bananas). Calcium and mazuri as well as the occasional mushroom, chicken and fish.

He also gets supervised time to go around our yard where he grazes on bermuda grass.

Hope I'm not missing anything. Would love your input! :)

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I'm wondering if it's his tongue, making a clicking sound as it dislodges from being suctioned slightly to its mouth roof. Like a smacking sound like some humans do when they chew.
He looks great and from what I can see of his beak it looks good.

Littleredfootbigredheart

UK
Hi, thanks! ooh I actually don't have a photo because I'm out right now but as for the other info:
1. Outdoor enclosure that gets natural sunlight in the AM. I don't keep him indoors as I live in a tropical country and the temps and humidity are pretty good w/ a little tweaking.
2. Humidity is 75-85% right now its at 95% cause it's been raining.
3. Temps are 29-32 in the morning and 28 in the evening. Right now its at 26 cause of the rain
4. Substrate is orchid bark & coco coir.
5. He has plants in there - boston fern, spider plant, thyme, rosemary. A hide and water bowl + slate feeding plate.
6. He rarely burrows but he does when its colder (like now at 26 degrees and raining). He also isn't very active in this weather.
7. I soak him daily for 20 minutes.

Yes, the vet checked his stool. Didn't see any symptoms other than his poop was a bit runny for a few days.

He eats a mix of kale, mulberry leaves, hibiscus leaves and flowers, some fruits (berries, melons, mangoes, bananas). Calcium and mazuri as well as the occasional mushroom, chicken and fish.

He also gets supervised time to go around our yard where he grazes on bermuda grass.

Hope I'm not missing anything. Would love your input! :)
Thank you for the additional info! Everything sounds pretty great can’t lie!😁

I think the only thing I’ll give you a heads up on is, it’s generally advised to have your guy in a indoor closed chamber set up whilst they’re a baby so you can control all the environmental factors yourself, as an adult your climate sounds absolutely perfect for them🙌it’s just 32 is probably a bit too high for a baby and 75 humidity is on the lower side, ideally for one as young as yours you want 80+ humidity 24/7 all over to help keep a nice smooth shell growth😊 your overall husbandry sounds great though which is always wonderful to read!😁and would definitely love to get a glimpse of your set up still! the plants sound a lovey addition in there🥰