Climbin' da log!

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Just be careful. They love to crawl & scramble up, but can easily slip, & slide & end up upside down, possibly smack beneath a basking bulb.

I liked to use black square/rectangular sided plastic rubbermaid type containers. Cheap & easily scaleable upwards as your tort grows, dark inside, and when sunken into the moist substrate, helps maintain high humidity.

Soo, just be careful. Happy Holidays

teallen

London, England
Just be careful. They love to crawl & scramble up, but can easily slip, & slide & end up upside down, possibly smack beneath a basking bulb.

I liked to use black square/rectangular sided plastic rubbermaid type containers. Cheap & easily scaleable upwards as your tort grows, dark inside, and when sunken into the moist substrate, helps maintain high humidity.

Soo, just be careful. Happy Holidays
Don't worry, she was supervised the entire time I saw her up there and I made sure I saw her get down safely! I didn't think she'd learn to scale it so fast, but since I'm off work for the holidays I have plenty of time to keep an eye on her and make sure she's confident. And when I'm not here my family keeps a very close eye on her. We're a little bit obsessed ahah.
Next week I'm moving stuff around a bit for her and now I know she can get up I'll make sure it's further from the heat lamp in case of falls.
Sadly she's way more interested in it as something to climb rather than a place to hide- she's always preferred to bury herself if she wants to hide. So I don't think she'd be pleased if I swapped it with something she couldn't climb. But thank you for your concern! Happy holidays!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
One way to get around the flipping hazard and still let the tort utilize the log is to sink the log halfway down into the substrate and then scoop out the inside with your hand. It's still a hideout. And it's still a nice decoration. But it's now 10 times safer.

teallen

London, England
One way to get around the flipping hazard and still let the tort utilize the log is to sink the log halfway down into the substrate and then scoop out the inside with your hand. It's still a hideout. And it's still a nice decoration. But it's now 10 times safer.
I really like this idea! The bottom part doesn't have bark all around and so it's less grippy, so burying that part would make it safer I think. But I hadn't thought of scooping out enough to let her still be able to walk under it. Thanks!

TaylorTortoise

Abington
View attachment 337969
First thing Pistachio tried to do when I brought her home was try to climb this log. And today she finally cracked it!
This is absolutely beautiful! And hysterical. Love your new baby. He careful and mindful that he/she can indeed, flip. They are little suckers. Toddlers.. for the most part. I have a camera and eyes on mine 24/7 because I have found mine on its back a few times now. The last time mine luckily was able to flip himself back over. Watching it scared me so much since I was at work on my lunch break!!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
This is absolutely beautiful! And hysterical. Love your new baby. He careful and mindful that he/she can indeed, flip. They are little suckers. Toddlers.. for the most part. I have a camera and eyes on mine 24/7 because I have found mine on its back a few times now. The last time mine luckily was able to flip himself back over. Watching it scared me so much since I was at work on my lunch break!!
Often times once you remove everything that a baby tortoise can flip on, you end up with a bare enclosure.
Some of them can be very prone to flipping over.