Closed chamber

hydro708

Location (City and/or State)
ANAHEIM
I would like to buy a closed enclosure but can't afford pvc I am going to buy a wood enclosure is there a wood that's peered. What's the best way plastic lining or is there a waterproofer that's safe for pets in high heat and humidity? I am in southern California if anyone has one or two please let me know. I am looking for at least 4 feet but would like longer 8 ft would be best so I can put together and just out a board in the middle

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I would like to buy a closed enclosure but can't afford pvc I am going to buy a wood enclosure is there a wood that's peered. What's the best way plastic lining or is there a waterproofer that's safe for pets in high heat and humidity? I am in southern California if anyone has one or two please let me know. I am looking for at least 4 feet but would like longer 8 ft would be best so I can put together and just out a board in the middle
Wooden closed chamber enclosures are difficult because of mold and wood rot issues.
Hopefully someone that made a large one can suggest something.
I know that many members use plastic Christmas tree totes and mini greenhouses

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
There isn't much price difference between the two.

As @ZEROPILOT explained, wood isn't a good material because it rots. I've tried and tried to use it. I've tried all sorts of coatings and paints. Most of them don't work at all. If there is one tiny pinhole in something like Pond Shield, which is expensive and difficult to work with, but it does work... bit one tiny pinhole that you missed when coating, or if you drop a rock or something, the bottom will literally fall out of your enclosure. This has happened to me.

Expanded PVC is the way to go. After your wood enclosure rots, you will have to buy one anyway.

hydro708

ANAHEIM
Yea well I finally added another leopard baby to my group and man I wish I would of known of her well started babies this baby is so beautiful I am speechless! So I will have to fork out some cash some these babies have room and get them a bigger home until they are moved outside. Thank you everyone for the feedback I think pvc will be the next enclosure dose anyone have any feedback on showcase cages? Their are like vision cages but I think I like showcase cages in pictures better but never seen in person

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Yea well I finally added another leopard baby to my group and man I wish I would of known of her well started babies this baby is so beautiful I am speechless! So I will have to fork out some cash some these babies have room and get them a bigger home until they are moved outside. Thank you everyone for the feedback I think pvc will be the next enclosure dose anyone have any feedback on showcase cages? Their are like vision cages but I think I like showcase cages in pictures better but never seen in person
I do not. Sorry.
Because of where I live. I'm able to keep my tortoises outdoors 24/7 and have no experience with large scale closed chamber enclosures