Closed "Chambers"

Snickersbec

5 Year Member
IMG_20130215_131019.jpgI read this thread referred to me by wellington and came up with an inexpensive chamber that works for me for a while. My readings are 85% humidity with 82° on the cold end. 77% and 109° basking. Thanks again for the great info

Last edited by a moderator:

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
100_4690.jpg

I really like this one...I want to see it with a 4' x 8' footprint! :tort:

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
DeanS said:
100_4690.jpg

I really like this one...I want to see it with a 4' x 8' footprint! :tort:

I really like this design too. If I ever get a chance to raise another baby sulcata I will build one. Not 4' x 8' though.

J REED

5 Year Member
Got board today..built my closed chamber.I copied top lol.5' long..3' deep 2.5' high.1372196611028.jpg1372196622973.jpg

Jeremy

Last edited by a moderator:

panda

5 Year Member
Wow this is an amazing thread you guys. All the information is amazing and i cant wait to have my own tort and be able to return the favor. Also Wishing I had a garage of my own to build one in. Might have to go and borrow my dads for a weekend to build one of my own.

J REED

5 Year Member
Mine is staying in garage. Helps qith heat/humidity.

Jeremy

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
Here is a pic of a poor person's closed chambers for a hatchling/small juvenile.
The entire top is covered with a clear shower curtain from the dollar store. The screen top that the light is sitting on is covered with clear packing tape, except for the hole for the heat lamp.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
lisa127 said:
Here is a pic of a poor person's closed chambers for a hatchling/small juvenile.
The entire top is covered with a clear shower curtain from the dollar store. The screen top that the light is sitting on is covered with clear packing tape, except for the hole for the heat lamp.

I think that shower curtain is too close to the fixture. That could start a fire, or at the very least melt and stink up the whole house.

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Tom said:
lisa127 said:

I think that shower curtain is too close to the fixture. That could start a fire, or at the very least melt and stink up the whole house.

@Lisa127,

Use some aluminum foil to line the hole for the light and the edge that is closest to the fixture. I use clear tape/plastic too on my top but with a thick strip of foil lining the edges.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
NE Ohio
I don't think it would start a fire, but I was concerned with melting. The heat lamp is simply a 60 watt light bulb in a ten inch dome. The clear tape doesn't even get warm.

ETA: With a 60 watt in a ten inch dome, the outside of the dome doesn't get very hot. The surface, measured with my temp gun, of the outer dome is 94 degrees. Trust me, my shower water is hotter than that and my shower curtains don't melt! In the winter months I use a 75 watt, but it still is not hot enough to cause problems. The shower curtain nor the tape is very warm to the touch.

Johnlaws

5 Year Member
Does anyone use Neodesha enclosures for closed chamber? Just wonder what your experience was.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Johnlaws said:
Does anyone use Neodesha enclosures for closed chamber? Just wonder what your experience was.

I considered that but they are too low to hang the basking lights and fixtures in.

Johnlaws

5 Year Member
I'm learning this. I've been playing with this enclosure for a week now, without building something custom it's the most appropriate enclosure I have at the moment. It's awesome for controlling humidity, I can keep it anywhere without issue. But I can't get the temps anywhere over 84*. I didn't pay anything for the enclosure so I'm going to do some modifications to get the light further inside and get the temps up where they need to be.

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum mobile app
1. Sulcata baby
7. Assorted Ball Pythons
1. XL Savannah Monitor
1. Red Iguana

BK-JAY

5 Year Member
Brooklyn New York
Now that the summer is here and the cool side of my enclosures is 93 in the day and 86 at night Im finding spots of mold growing on my bedding any suggesting anyone thanks in advance

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
BK-JAY said:
Now that the summer is here and the cool side of my enclosures is 93 in the day and 86 at night Im finding spots of mold growing on my bedding any suggesting anyone thanks in advance

Remove the trouble spots and crack the door a little to allow more air flow, but watch the humidity.

jerbs

5 Year Member
St. Paul, MN
This has worked so far for me, though it's about 50% closed. I have the CHE on a thermostat, and the humidifier turns on every hour for about 10mins.

Temps remain in the mid-80's and humidity 80-95%. This works well for now as he's still under 3in, but I'll be building something much bigger, probably fully enclosed, within the next few months.

Not sure if it was needed, but you can see in the pics I cut a few holes in the bottom on the end for air flow.

Attachments

• enclosure.jpg
    enclosure.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 413
  • enclosure2.jpg
    enclosure2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 402

Levi the Leopard

IXOYE
10 Year Member!
Southern Oregon
Not sure if I shared pictures of my closed chamber yet..

I used a 40gal Zilla tank and covered the top with clear plastic, taped with masking tape and cut holes for the light fixtures. I lined the plastic holes with a 2" strip of aluminum foil for safety.

It has worked very well. I love it.

dqfzvm.jpg

2l9ijo5.jpg

My smooth Leopard
wmdw0z.jpg

Jlant85

5 Year Member
California
Yvonne G said:
Oh, Tom...I'm crushed! You neglected to mention my very cheap and easy "closed chamber" idea. I've mentioned it many times here on the forum and it works quite well...but its not very pretty.

I take two long sheets of aluminum foil (the kind you cook with) and I lay them side-by-side. Then I fold together the long edge of both, making one big sheet. Then I make a cover over the whole habitat including the light fixtures, similar to, but not as pretty, as Tyler's.

Yvone, can you PM me this brilliant idea of yours about the tin foil? I would love you forever if you do =)

Jlant85 said:
Yvonne G said:
Oh, Tom...I'm crushed! You neglected to mention my very cheap and easy "closed chamber" idea. I've mentioned it many times here on the forum and it works quite well...but its not very pretty.

I take two long sheets of aluminum foil (the kind you cook with) and I lay them side-by-side. Then I fold together the long edge of both, making one big sheet. Then I make a cover over the whole habitat including the light fixtures, similar to, but not as pretty, as Tyler's.

Yvone, can you PM me this brilliant idea of yours about the tin foil? I would love you forever if you do =)

LOL never mind =) just saw it. mwahahahahaha

I LOVE THIS THREAD! I've been on forums for a while and i just stumbled upon this! Wow im late!

FloresGurl

5 Year Member
What are the dimensions of this chamber?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using TortForum mobile app