COLD DARK ROOM

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Hello
I'm back from the Georgia/Thanksgiving trip.
Thanksgiving, for our overseas members is us giving thanks for prospering. The indigenous Indians helped us to survive when our ancestors settled here into the "new world".
We thanked them later on by making them extinct.
I love history.
Welcome back, Ed! :)
wifey's maiden name was Brennan, which means "person who branded the slaves".
I love history too.

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
History? UGH! GOD only knows how much I disliked history as well as geography.
In school, many years ago, I disliked those subjects too, but now, in my dotage, history VERY MUCH interests me. Can't get enough of it.
I always liked geography, but hated history at school.
In my youthful ignorance and arrogance I decided Palaeontology, dealing with half a billion years of life was so much bigger and more important.than ephemeral human history.
I have since found out how fascinating history is and learn as much as my little brain will allow..

Bee62

Germany
Hello
I'm back from the Georgia/Thanksgiving trip.
Thanksgiving, for our overseas members is us giving thanks for prospering. The indigenous Indians helped us to survive when our ancestors settled here into the "new world".
We thanked them later on by making them extinct.
I love history.
It is good that you are back.:) How is your mother ?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
My central heating runs 24h / 7 days.
The wood stove is additionally.
The previous owner of my house (my son in law) disconnected the gas wall heaters when he installed the wood stove. So burning wood is the only way to heat this house. I've lived here about 25 years and haven't had to buy wood yet. Scrap lumber and cutting down nuisance trees has done the job so far. Last year I had a giant pepper tree cut down, and burned most of the smaller branches last winter. There are still quite a few bigger pieces that need to be split. I hope my s-i-l remembers this needs to be done.

Bee62

Germany
The previous owner of my house (my son in law) disconnected the gas wall heaters when he installed the wood stove. So burning wood is the only way to heat this house. I've lived here about 25 years and haven't had to buy wood yet. Scrap lumber and cutting down nuisance trees has done the job so far. Last year I had a giant pepper tree cut down, and burned most of the smaller branches last winter. There are still quite a few bigger pieces that need to be split. I hope my s-i-l remembers this needs to be done.
How big is your property that you have so many trees to cut down for fire-wood ? I buy every year ready cuttet wood for my stove, but I have to buy heating oil too.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I only have an acre, but there were many trees, mostly eucalyptus. As you know, eucalyptus is very brittle, and big limbs were breaking off all the time. I eventually cut them down for safety reasons. (I should say, I hired them cut down)

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
The gas going to my home HVAC system has never been turned on.
We had the heat on just 2 nights since 2008.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Welcome back, Ed! :)
wifey's maiden name was Brennan, which means "person who branded the slaves".
I love history too.
Yikes.
My mother's parents changed names because there was a mobster also named Nicholas DiGeronimo (grandfathers name)and my grandfather feared for the family. New name....Nick Jerome.
My dad's parents were named Mueller. Yep. Grandpa was a Nazi.....
Came here and became Franz Miller.
He also fled America shortly after dad's birth leaving him with a stepfather named Dwiggins. A mispelled name stamped on him at Ellis Island.
Welcome to America. Here's your new, pronouncable name.
A Scottish fellow we are told.
He also left home and never returned in about 1955.
No wonder why dad has children scattered all through the South. And why I take monogamy so seriously.

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
Yikes.
My mother's parents changed names because there was a mobster also named Nicholas DiGeronimo (grandfathers name)and my grandfather feared for the family. New name....Nick Jerome.
My dad's parents were named Mueller. Yep. Grandpa was a Nazi.....
Came here and became Franz Miller.
He also fled America shortly after dad's birth leaving him with a stepfather named Dwiggins. A mispelled name stamped on him at Ellis Island.
Welcome to America. Here's your new, pronouncable name.
A Scottish fellow we are told.
He also left home and never returned in about 1955.
No wonder why dad has children scattered all through the South. And why I take monogamy so seriously.
Not all Germans were Nazis even back in the day- are you sure your grandfather was a Nazi?

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Not all Germans were Nazis even back in the day- are you sure your grandfather was a Nazi?
According to family legend. Yes.
I was not just assuming it.
He was an SS member and not a wanted war criminal. It was just very unpopular to be an X German soldier after the war..