COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Following up on the Osprey in Wales.... was just sent this on a mother goose that has taken over an osprey nest... 35 feet above ground!

http://www.cbf.org/about-the-bay/more-than-just-the-bay/chesapeake-wildlife/ospreys/osprey-cam.html

.... and might you visit here? Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwll-llantysiliogogogoch (or Llanfairpwll, or Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, or Llanfair PG, or just Llanfair as it is known by the locals) is on the Isle of Anglesey (Ynys Môn) in Wales (Cymru). The town has become famous because of its very long name.

Llanfair PG is a tourist trap. We don’t bother with it!

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
It will be a few more weeks.
I'm ok I guess. Still got more issues coming up. I have an appointment with the surgeon Monday to talk about one thing then my gastroenterologist the 26th. Hopefully they can fix me up.

But all that aside it's a beautiful day outside today. So that makes me happy.
I hope that appointment can fix you up Dan :)
Thought I would pop in and say hi to everyone.
This sleep problem seems to be steadily getting worse for me. It's been almost a month since I've had a proper nights rest.
My husband has pointed out that I often repeat myself or speak nonsense. I tried a sleep aid pill last night and it did nothing to help.
Side note- I was able to mow my grass in the front yard today. The back I'm leaving to hubby.
The problem with sleep problems is that you worry about the lack of sleep and that makes it worse.

The usual stuff like not using any sort of screen (pc, phone, ipad or tv) for at least an hour before bed helps.

Establishing a regular bed time also helps. Make sure it’s late enough... 11pm say. However, forcing yourself to stay in bed after about 5am is a waste of time. We find we need less sleep as we have got older.

And do seek medical if the above don’t help!

DE42

I play stories on my phone when I go-to bed that help me go-to sleep. Usually 15 min long or about. But sometimes I'll out on players in a dnd campaign that's like 2 hour long. Makes for some interesting dreams. I always sleep better with something playing in the background. Probably because the whole time growing up mom would have the TV playing when I went to bed and dad would again before I got up. Lol

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
More postcards from yesterday in Mid Wales where it reached 25C/77F which is considered a hot summer day here and definitely not normal for April!

More views over the bird reserve
IMG_6992.jpg
IMG_7002.jpg
IMG_7003.jpg

And we saw a beautiful grass snake. Venomous only to frogs - this was a youngster about 30cm/12” long
IMG_6999.jpg

This morning the weather is a more typical grey 12C, but we have seen a stoat :)

And now we must drive home.

DE42

More postcards from yesterday in Mid Wales where it reached 25C/77F which is considered a hot summer day here and definitely not normal for April!

View attachment 236637
View attachment 236638
View attachment 236639

And we saw a beautiful grass snake. Venomous only to frogs - this was a youngster about 30cm/12” long
View attachment 236640

This morning the weather is a more typical grey 12C, but we have seen a stoat :)

Nice pictures :)

Moozillion

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Louisiana, USA
I don't snore that I know of.
I would describe it as "night frights". I bolt awake suddenly and then take forever to fall back asleep. This happens after I've been asleep for about an hour..
hmmmmm...dunno what to think. Have you always done this at times, or is this new?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And in other news... JoesDad is very happy as his team, yesterday Luton Town FC, secured promotion to League 1 (the third tier of English football - go figure)

Adam’s team, Leeds United, is comfortably mid table in the Championship. There’s no risk of demotion so they won’t be playing Luton next season :D

And daughter has been out with the dormice again. This one fell asleep without bothering to make a comfy bed!
IMG_7009.jpg

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England

Raqib Farid

Karachi Pakistan
Can anyonr tell me that why my tort keeps getting inside in his shell why I try to pet him on his head, first I have to pet him on his shell then he comes out after some moments then I pet him on his head and he keep getting inside and comes out of his shell or tries to walkaway. But sometimes after petting his shell he lets me to pet on his head.

But on the otherside my cousin's baby tort he lets him and me too to pet anywhere on his head and toes.

Is there anyway to make him used to of petting or remove his fear from my hand. Or when he grows up he will do fine?

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Can anyonr tell me that why my tort keeps getting inside in his shell why I try to pet him on his head, first I have to pet him on his shell then he comes out after some moments then I pet him on his head and he keep getting inside and comes out of his shell or tries to walkaway. But sometimes after petting his shell he lets me to pet on his head.

But on the otherside my cousin's baby tort he lets him and me too to pet anywhere on his head and toes.

Is there anyway to make him used to of petting or remove his fear from my hand. Or when he grows up he will do fine?

Just like people, some torts are more outgoing than others.

Some learn that you are the bringer of yummy food and worth not hiding for. Some never understand and prefer to hide.

Joe preferred a gentle rub under his chin. You could never touch the top of his head.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I don't snore that I know of.
I would describe it as "night frights". I bolt awake suddenly and then take forever to fall back asleep. This happens after I've been asleep for about an hour..
I watched a program about insomnia and one of the things that they used that apparently helped was prebiotics.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

View attachment 236637
View attachment 236638
View attachment 236639

View attachment 236640

Aashhh leaving all that peace and quiet behind. Safe drive home.

Last edited:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
And in other news... JoesDad is very happy as his team, yesterday Luton Town FC, secured promotion to League 1 (the third tier of English football - go figure)

Adam’s team, Leeds United, is comfortably mid table in the Championship. There’s no risk of demotion so they won’t be playing Luton next season :D

And daughter has been out with the dormice again. This one fell asleep without bothering to make a comfy bed!
View attachment 236643
Oh shame poor thing.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Raqib Farid

Karachi Pakistan
Just like people, some torts are more outgoing than others.

Some learn that you are the bringer of yummy food and worth not hiding for. Some never understand and prefer to hide.

Joe preferred a gentle rub under his chin. You could never touch the top of his head.
Hmm ok. Will try to feed him with hands oftenly.

Bambam1989

East Texas
hmmmmm...dunno what to think. Have you always done this at times, or is this new?
I have always been a lite sleeper. But nothing like this other than an incident a couple of years ago that was brought on by stress and depression.
I plan on making an appointment Monday to see a doctor about it.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hmm ok. Will try to feed him with hands oftenly.

A word of caution on that. Tortoises are not particularly clever.

Those that are hand fed too often can come to see the human as the food and start refusing to eat food fed off the ground in the normal way. @Gillian Moore had this problem with her Greek, Oli.

The best is to remember to handle your tort gently. No sudden movements ever. And your tort should gradually become accustomed to you. Nothing happens quickly with tortoises. Be patient and understand it might take many months for trust to develop.