COLD DARK ROOM

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ottawa, Ontario
I just bumped into the Dad of a former friend of my son's. The boys used to play in the same football team until they were about 9.

The Dad has had a really rough time. He got sick after eating reheated rice from a Chinese takeaway meal and this led to a muscle wasting problem. The muscle wastage led to a heart attack and also has left him with one arm that is partially paralysed. It is so shocking; this guy was a fitness fanatic and spent loads of time at the gym. I had heard that reheating rice was likely to make you sick, but had no idea it could get this bad.

So... DON'T REHEAT RICE! EVER!!!!

Goodness... [emoji33] What a crazy, sad way to get so sick... :(

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
That’s crazy!!! Thank you for telling me!!! I will never do that again[emoji21]

Apparently cooked rice is the perfect breeding ground for Salmonella and other nasties. I had read that you shouldn’t reheat. After seeing a survivor of probably the most extreme reaction, I definitely won’t be reheating it again![/QUOTE]

I also heard about not reheating rice, but I had no idea it could be this bad :(

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I just bumped into the Dad of a former friend of my son's. The boys used to play in the same football team until they were about 9.

The Dad has had a really rough time. He got sick after eating reheated rice from a Chinese takeaway meal and this led to a muscle wasting problem. The muscle wastage led to a heart attack and also has left him with one arm that is partially paralysed. It is so shocking; this guy was a fitness fanatic and spent loads of time at the gym. I had heard that reheating rice was likely to make you sick, but had no idea it could get this bad.

So... DON'T REHEAT RICE! EVER!!!!

That is crazy!!! I have never heard of this!!! I will never reheat left over rice again!!! Yikes!! Poor guy.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I was swimming daily on holiday and it really helped my shoulder to my surprise, so I have been trying to go 2 or 3 times a week since we got back. I can't do much yet as it does hurt quite a bit, but I potter along and complete 6x 25 meter lengths of breast stroke which forces me to move the joint. It is getting easier, but I am not going to step it up too much.

I used to go to the gym,but haven't been since my back completely went in the spring... I might as well use the pool on my gym membership as I am not brave enough to back in the gym yet.

Swimming is brilliant. So glad you’re able to do it!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
well, I for one, will continue to eat my leftover Chinese food. Been doing it for many, many years - one of life's little pleasures. Some old bacteria isn't going to scare me! (From my friend Google):

· The NHS says that leftover rice can be bad for you.

· Uncooked rice can contain spores that can survive when the rice is cooked.

· If the rice stands at room temperature for too long, those spores turn into bacteria.

· That in turn can cause food poisoning.

· Store your rice as quickly as possible once you're done eating it.

Although reheating a Chinese takeout when you've got a hangover is one of life's great pleasures, leftover rice can actually be scarily bad for you, the NHS says.

Because if you didn't already know, you can get a pretty grim case of food poisoning from eating reheated rice; it's not the reheating that causes the problem, but instead the way the rice has been stored after being cooked the first time.

So uncooked rice often contains spores (cells capable of reproducing quickly) of Bacillus cereus — a bacteria strand that can cause food poisoning — that can survive when rice is cooked.

And if the rice is left standing at room temperature after it's been boiled, the spores can grow into bacteria, which will ultimately multiply and may produce toxins that cause vomiting or diarrhea.

The longer cooked rice is left at room temperature, the more likely it is that the bacteria will make the rice unsafe to eat — meaning it's vital that you store your rice at the right way quickly if you're hoping to reheat it later.

So, how do you increase the chances of avoiding food poisoning all together? First off, serve rice as soon as it's been cooked, and cool any leftovers as quickly as possible. The NHS recommends within an hour, ideally. You can then keep the rice in the fridge (but for no more than one day) before reheating.

It's worth noting you should also check the rice is 'steaming hot' all the way through when you're reheating it, and never attempt to reheat it more than once.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Friday update...

Florence - although many miles south.....(350 give or take) - we are now feeling the warm tropical temperatures and increased wind gusts from Hurricane Florence. We won’t really get any of the heavy rain until Monday....but it is very overcast, gray and miserable looking.

Mystery Snails - per US Parcel Service “tracker” - the package is here and out for delivery.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I can’t wait for dinner!!
It’s going to be a meat, cheese & wine night with a side of spaghetti and a baguette. [emoji485][emoji893]
Happy Friday!
Ran my errands and now watching the weather news on Hurricane Florence.
IMG_2023.jpg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
I can’t wait for dinner!!
It’s going to be a meat, cheese & wine night with a side of spaghetti and a baguette. [emoji485][emoji893]
Happy Friday!
Ran my errands and now watching the weather news on Hurricane Florence.
View attachment 251502

Wonderful...and the wine?

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Friday update...

Florence - although many miles south.....(350 give or take) - we are now feeling the warm tropical temperatures and increased wind gusts from Hurricane Florence. We won’t really get any of the heavy rain until Monday....but it is very overcast, gray and miserable looking.

Mystery Snails - per US Parcel Service “tracker” - the package is here and out for delivery.

Ok.....they’re here....

First - the shipping package....
8BD79255-2978-48C5-8CAF-F73790E043AF.jpeg

Second - the unveiling
D4C1DD2F-707F-4392-AE15-5BD80950D7E0.jpeg

Third - in the holding tank

64B99B93-39F6-4ADA-ADFB-E4A3F3B04F94.jpeg

Bee62

Germany
Stars, cats, Aldabras... You’re making me jealous! I must send you an evil eye bead in case I — or someone else — inadvertently give(s) you evil eye! [emoji6]
View attachment 251480
Beautiful ! :<3:
I can`t see evil eyes. I only see beautiful colors.:):):)
Maybe Mo & Ma make that these days I see everything through pink glasses ????:rolleyes: