COLD DARK ROOM

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Good evenooning everyone. For the second time this week I haven't been able to get on the site in the afternoon/early evening. It just hangs. It doesn't matter whether I am using the website or either of the apps. Nothing, but a spinning timer until just now :(

I have to go do some moderation on my other forum and then I'll be back if TFO lets me
I report it to Josh every time. When I reported the Tarantula Forum to him the other day he said he had forgotten to renew. This a,m. all of his forums were unavailable. let's hope it's fixed now.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
He just sent me an email. They amputated one of her legs this a.m. I'm happy to take care of you, but you have to come here. I don't travel well.

That’s so sad. I’ve got prayers for her & family...
You are to sweet for your own good. If I came there, we would have a full zoo & could charge admission n hire help [emoji16]

Pastel Tortie

North Florida
Good evenooning everyone. For the second time this week I haven't been able to get on the site in the afternoon/early evening. It just hangs. It doesn't matter whether I am using the website or either of the apps. Nothing, but a spinning timer until just now :(

I have to go do some moderation on my other forum and then I'll be back if TFO lets me
I don't use the app, but I had similar challenges trying to access the TFO earlier. It was around that timeframe.

Bee62

Germany
Br-r-r! It's down into the 30sF this a.m. and since I don't use the heater in my house, and I allow the fire in the wood stove to go out mid day, it's pretty cold in here! I've got a nice fire going now though. But I'm finished reading new posts on the Forum, and really have no reason to continue to sit here at the computer (which is right next to the wood stove), I'm just dilly dallying, trying to think of reasons to keep me here instead of going into the kitchen and preparing today's tortoise ration.

I went to the skin doctor yesterday and she took a biopsy of a spot on my nose. I'll know in about a week if it's skin cancer or not. Seems like the nose is a bad place to have a cancer - not much skin there. Oh well, hopefully it won't amount to anything. I've had several skin cancers removed from my face over the years, and one off my back. None of them were the bad kind. . .

After my appointment I was considering stopping to get something to eat, but it was only 10:30a and most places don't start serving lunch until 11a. So I went to the store and bought some Milk Duds instead:

51ZbpA2G-WL.jpg

Here ya go. I'll share them with you all.

Today I plan to finish raking the leaves in the desert and Texas tortoises' yards and pile them up on their hibernatoriums. Hopefully I'll follow through with my plan!

My son's mother-in-law has diabetes and was going to have to have a leg amputated, but they were able to get the circulation with a stent, so she only had toes amputated. Now yesterday my son (they're in Texas) told me the doctors are again thinking of amputation, this time both legs below the knees. I can't imagine that. That would be terrible. Thank goodness I don't have diabetes. I don't think I would be able to live with legs amputated. I thank God every day that I have my health and am able to take care of myself and my property. . . well, and the animals!

And on that lovely note, I guess I have to get my act together and get going. Later!

Hopefully the spot on your nose is no cancer. My fingers are crossed that it is not.

Last edited:

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Whew....

Taking the old above range micowave OUT was easy....the installation of the new one a bit more challenging. Had to install the new mounting bracket, drill new holes in the upper cabinets so they perfectly aligned with the installation holes in the top of the microwave. Then, lift and hold the new unit up on the bracket and get the new machine screws in.

Seemed a lot easier watching on YouTube - but, in the end we got it up, on the new bracket and fastened.

Now I can contemplate a quick morning kayak trip tomorrow...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
And back to Iran for this Christmas Recipe - Day 11

Some of the most iconic flavors of Persian cuisine are pomegranate, walnuts, pistachios, and honey. This recipe has them all! The marinade contains pomegranate juice, ground walnuts, honey and spices. This recipe does take some advance planning, but you will be well rewarded when you are finally able to bit into the tender beef with a tangy sweet glaze. Enjoy for a special holiday dinner with family and friends, it will be a hit!

Brisket with Pomegranate-Walnut Sauce and Pistachio Gremolata

08CC5FBC-DC21-4F4F-8E8D-B05E6BBCE16F.jpeg

INGREDIENTS
For the brisket and marinade:
1 (7-pound) beef brisket with fat, fat trimmed to 1/4" thickness
2 teaspoons (or more) kosher salt
1 teaspoon (or more) freshly ground black pepper
1 head of garlic, peeled
1 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons honey
3 cups pomegranate juice, divided

For the gremolata:
1 1/2 cups (packed) mint leaves (about 1 bunch)
1/2 cup shelled roasted, salted pistachios
2 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Special Equipment
A large roasting pan

PREPARATION
Marinate and cook the brisket:
Season brisket all over with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large 2-gallon resealable plastic bag or bowl (use roasting pan only if necessary).

Purée garlic, walnuts, honey, and 1 cup pomegranate juice in a blender until very smooth. Add remaining 2 cups pomegranate juice and blend until smooth. Pour marinade over brisket. Seal bag or cover bowl tightly with foil. Chill, turning occasionally, at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours.

Transfer brisket and marinade to roasting pan, cover tightly with foil, and let sit at room temperature 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 275°F. Bake brisket, covered, until meat shreds easily with 2 forks, about 5 hours; if meat is still tough, continue cooking, covered, 1 hour.

Transfer brisket to a cutting board and cover loosely with foil. Transfer cooking liquid to a saucepan and spoon off fat from surface. Cook over medium-high heat, skimming off fat and foam as it surfaces, until reduced by two-thirds (you should have about 2 cups sauce). Season with salt and pepper if necessary.

Make the gremolata:
Pulse mint, pistachios, garlic, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Drizzle in oil, pulsing until just combined (do not over-process).

To serve, slice brisket against the grain and transfer to a platter. Spoon sauce over and top with gremolata.

Do Ahead
Brisket can be cooked, without slicing, 2 days ahead. Cover and chill; warm before slicing. Sauce can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.

Cooks' Note
An equal amount of walnuts can be substituted for the pistachios in the gremolata.

Recipe is from Epicurious Magazine

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
And back to Iran for this Christmas Recipe - Day 11

Some of the most iconic flavors of Persian cuisine are pomegranate, walnuts, pistachios, and honey. This recipe has them all! The marinade contains pomegranate juice, ground walnuts, honey and spices. This recipe does take some advance planning, but you will be well rewarded when you are finally able to bit into the tender beef with a tangy sweet glaze. Enjoy for a special holiday dinner with family and friends, it will be a hit!

Brisket with Pomegranate-Walnut Sauce and Pistachio Gremolata

View attachment 259462

INGREDIENTS
For the brisket and marinade:
1 (7-pound) beef brisket with fat, fat trimmed to 1/4" thickness
2 teaspoons (or more) kosher salt
1 teaspoon (or more) freshly ground black pepper
1 head of garlic, peeled
1 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons honey
3 cups pomegranate juice, divided

For the gremolata:
1 1/2 cups (packed) mint leaves (about 1 bunch)
1/2 cup shelled roasted, salted pistachios
2 garlic cloves
2 teaspoons finely grated lemon zest
1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil

Special Equipment
A large roasting pan

PREPARATION
Marinate and cook the brisket:
Season brisket all over with salt and pepper. Transfer to a large 2-gallon resealable plastic bag or bowl (use roasting pan only if necessary).

Purée garlic, walnuts, honey, and 1 cup pomegranate juice in a blender until very smooth. Add remaining 2 cups pomegranate juice and blend until smooth. Pour marinade over brisket. Seal bag or cover bowl tightly with foil. Chill, turning occasionally, at least 24 hours or up to 48 hours.

Transfer brisket and marinade to roasting pan, cover tightly with foil, and let sit at room temperature 1 hour.

Preheat oven to 275°F. Bake brisket, covered, until meat shreds easily with 2 forks, about 5 hours; if meat is still tough, continue cooking, covered, 1 hour.

Transfer brisket to a cutting board and cover loosely with foil. Transfer cooking liquid to a saucepan and spoon off fat from surface. Cook over medium-high heat, skimming off fat and foam as it surfaces, until reduced by two-thirds (you should have about 2 cups sauce). Season with salt and pepper if necessary.

Make the gremolata:
Pulse mint, pistachios, garlic, lemon zest, salt, and pepper in a food processor until coarsely chopped. Drizzle in oil, pulsing until just combined (do not over-process).

To serve, slice brisket against the grain and transfer to a platter. Spoon sauce over and top with gremolata.

Do Ahead
Brisket can be cooked, without slicing, 2 days ahead. Cover and chill; warm before slicing. Sauce can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.

Cooks' Note
An equal amount of walnuts can be substituted for the pistachios in the gremolata.

Recipe is from Epicurious Magazine

Sounds amazing!!!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
That is awesome about your son.. it’s such a wonderful feeling to see your children not only flourishing but excelling at life!!

I think posting the Christmas story is a wonderful idea! I am anxiously watching for the next chapter!!
Thank you Heather. I couldn't agree more on both counts.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Ohhh my naughty babies!!! They must be acting out over my busy schedule again.. I don’t know where they picked up the third musketeer but I hope they loose him before they get back home.. I don’t believe hubby could stand it [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
:D:D:D Maybe you can hide the third one and Hubby won't notice.