COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
I gave in to temptation... Drinking my second coffee today. In my defense, it goes almost as well as gløgg (mulled wine) does with a traditional Christmas dessert, æbleskiver - a sort of spherical pancakes usually served with powdered sugar and some jam.

View attachment 259486

I’ll write my bit of the story soon, I promise. It’s a busy day (some work came, on top of other things), but it’s probably nothing compared to what my Friday and Saturday have in store...
Yummy. Looks like a donut.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
I love these guys so much.. they are like having a set of 2 yr old twins sometimes.. they have a 5ft, 3 level cage that they share. I swap out the “furniture” every week so they don’t get bored and they are allowed free roam of the Toy Room every morning and evening .. they drag out more stuff than my son does! George has a rubber chicken that is his absolute favorite. He will take it and hide it and then digs it out again and leaves it for me.. I never know where that thing will turn up! He also has a stuffed banana with a bell on it that he takes with him often. They have such personality!

We need see a video of them running around I bet it’s adorable!!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I was hoping that they had influenced my presentation a little.. no one is at their best before a full cup of coffee:)
&

There is nothing “mere” about the ferret in me, Lena!![emoji23][emoji23]
[emoji23] [emoji23] I still need my hot cup of coffee in the morning even though it is decaf.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
That outlet has us puzzled too! There’s another one on the other side of the fire place. We hid the other with Mickey.
View attachment 259490

These are “snow buddies.”
In elementary school the 1st graders get an “older buddy” throughout the year who is a 4th grader and parents donate 2x4’s, socks and material for scarves.
They paint and dress them together.
They are my favorite!! I use to volunteer for this activity because it’s so fun. The parents had to work the hot glue gun.
View attachment 259489
That is so clever and creative.

Last edited:

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Growing up I was told I was Irish, English and German with some Cherokee Indian. We will see!

I also have a 1/2 brother I’ve never met. My parents were 19 when they had me. Well, my dad was 21.
When they divorced a couple years later they were still friends because my dad was friends with my moms brothers and sisters so they still hung out.
There was one girl in the group who wanted a baby and went after my uncle but he didn’t want a baby. Then, she was all over my dad. My mom warned him that she just wants a baby. He laughed at her and thought she was jealous.

Guess what!?! She got pregnant , had the boy and moved to Canada and my dad paid child support for 18 years while paying for mine too.
My dad has never mentioned this brother but my mom did.

I forgot his name but he has been on my mind since I was a kid. My mom passed away in 07 so I can’t ask her his name and I don’t want to upset my dad and bring it up. He has two grown sons that don’t know and I don’t want to stir things up. I did tell my dad that I was doing the DNA and he seemed ok.
That is already an interesting story.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I love these guys so much.. they are like having a set of 2 yr old twins sometimes.. they have a 5ft, 3 level cage that they share. I swap out the “furniture” every week so they don’t get bored and they are allowed free roam of the Toy Room every morning and evening .. they drag out more stuff than my son does! George has a rubber chicken that is his absolute favorite. He will take it and hide it and then digs it out again and leaves it for me.. I never know where that thing will turn up! He also has a stuffed banana with a bell on it that he takes with him often. They have such personality!
They sound like they awesome personality's. You should share more stories about them - I would love the hear or read them.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
The CDR Christmas Story...

It was two weeks before Christmas and the kids are getting so excited about Christmas. I love Joe, Torento, Clunker, Jacques, Sully, Ma, Mo, Kristoff, Rue, Kang, Clark, Harry, Blue, Whity, Pickles, Tidgy, Oli Bold, Julio and Misty so so much and I cannot disappoint them this Christmas. I have no job anymore and have been pretending to go to work everyday so that the kids don't know. But with no job and no money Christmas is going to be so disappointing this year. I need a Christmas miracle…….

So I went downtown to view some store windows. Maybe one of these stores need a helping hand before Christmas and would pay me. I was really in despair. I would do mostly every job to earn a little bit money.

There were a lot of people in the streets. Busy people searching for the last Christmas gifts they want to buy. People with heavy bags in their hands. My own hands were empty. So empty like my purse. I was praying to see a sign in one of these store windows saying : "Help needed. Enter when you are interested", but none…

My mood is getting sadder and sadder. At the end of the street right on the edge I recognize a very small window store and something in the window fascinates me. I don't know what it is. I am getting nearer. It was a very small store. The sign on the window tells me that it was a shop for antiquities.

It was very dark in the store but I can see an old man standing behind an old wooden counter. I was scared because the old man looks directly in my eyes. I can’t avoid his look. It seems to me that for several minutes we were looking each other in the eyes but in real it was only a few seconds.

Suddenly I turn my face and want to go away as I hear a little bell jingle. It was the bell on the entry door of the store. A hoarse voice ask: "Are you searching for work ? I could need a helping hand in the store. Are you interested?”

I turn my face and can’t believe the words I have heard. I was astonished. How could the old man know that I was searching for employment? I was looking in two watery blue friendly eyes of the old man and feel that my Christmas miracle has just begun.

"Yes, I am interested." I hear my own voice without thinking about what I was saying.

"Okay, come in. I'll show you what to do. It is easy to do but I am old and some things are too heavy for me.”

The old man opens the entry door of his store and the bell jingles again. I was following him. It was a little bit dark inside the small room. I can see a lot of shelves. The whole store was full with shelves and every shelve held totally different things: Wooden boxes, old lamps, figures in all sizes, a lot of old dolls, porcelain, silver cutlery, tea pots, old tin toys..... and so much more I can’t describe. The lot of things were overwhelming me.

"Here, take that duster and clean my beauties, but be very careful. Every piece in here has his own personality and story. Please don't break a thing, they are very precious."

I began to carefully sweep away layers of dust... as I did, I got this feeling... almost like I was sweeping away all my troubles. My heart felt lighter than it had in some time. One particular object was so dirty that I couldn’t make out what it was right off the bat. As the grime started to fly away, I realized it was a snow globe. It was beautifully anchored on a bronze base with delicate floral tooling etched all the way around. Something pulled at my heart. I picked it up, mesmerized it seemed, and tilted it down and up again. As I watched the snow fall, it seemed a strange glow began. There was a tiny ramshackle looking shed in the globe. It looked as if it was growing larger... or maybe closer before my very eyes….

No, it wasn’t growing larger I was smaller!

The ground beneath me was soft but not cold. I could still see the glow inside the shed so I walked closer and slowly entered and I could not believe my eyes!

I saw hundreds of little people busy working and singing! It was a very warm magical place! As I walked in slowly a cute little lady handed me a tool belt and a hot drink which turned out to be a delightful hot toddy...

The warm toddy worked its way through my body. The aromatic spices and herbs filled my senses, and the Ballmoral Malt Whiskey eased my apprehensions. Suddenly the blocks of wood became live, the “little people” gazed out the frosty windows, and the birds, sheep, camels, oxen, and horses in the bright green pastures were dancing. A bonfire was glowing, the stars, moon and sun could all be seen. Day was night, and night became day. Was it a dream or a new reality...

Suddenly, I spotted something protruding through the snow. I reached out to brush the snow away. The felt slightly odd, reminding me that somehow I was in the snow globe world. As I pulled the snow away, an armadillo was revealed. There were rings on his back as if coffee cups had been left there. The tag on his collar read "Montgomery". Montgomery nudged me and started to plod through the snow. What could I do but follow him? Time passed, but the light stayed the same and it was impossible to say how far we walked. We arrived at the mouth of a cave and the armadillo wagged his tail and headed right in. Should I go with him? Was it safe?

Taking a deep breath, I stepped into to the cave. It was dark, and I had already lost sight of Montgomery the armadillo, although I heard his footsteps somewhere in front of me. I reached out my hands and slowly shuffled my feet forward, hoping not to trip or fall over any obstacles in the dark. Then my fingers brushed against something. I knew instantly it wasn't an armadillo. Whatever I had just touched, it was squishy! Then it started to glow, faintly at first. Carefully poking the glowing blob again, I took a closer look. It resembled a glowing jellyfish.

Was it more than a simple hot toddy that the cute little lady had given me or did I, like Alice in Wonderland, come to a strange place with a logic of its own?

“Montgomery!” I called into the dark.

My voice echoed back a dozen times. I pitied the poor, strange armadillo who might get lost in the dark. The cave must have been very deep, with more corners than one could count. It couldn’t have been safe. I had liked the look of the warm and brightly lit shed with hundreds of tiny workers much better.

I turned to go back—and froze. Not literally, although it was nearly that cold; the chill that ran down my spine was of a different kind. The exit was blocked by a thin sheet of ice with such intricate detail that I could swear it was a spider web, only made of tiny frozen crystals. I had just walked in. When did this appear?

I took a step toward the web of ice and stretched out my hand to touch it, but a voice rang in the silence of the dark cave:

“Careful. If you touch it, you will never be able to leave this place.”

---

And now over to @Yvonne G :)
I just don't know what to say anymore. I LOVE LOVE THIS STORY.