COLD DARK ROOM

EllieMay

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
East Texas
Good mornoonjng roomies. I have some duck in a pan, rendering the fat off it so I can make Cassoulet to take up to Mum's for dinner tomorrow.

Cassoulet is a traditional French casserole with haricot beans at its heart.

Here is day 14 from my iTunes Christmas playlist

Good morning Linda!
Casseroles just make a nice holiday feeling.. don’t think I’ve had one I didn’t like. Yummm... enjoy your day!

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Morning All

I lived in Tbilisi Georgia for a few years and can personnaly attest to the s c r u m p t i o u s taste of these “dumplings” - our final recipe in this 12 days of Christmas recipe extravaganza courtesy of Caravan-Serai.

Welcome to our final day of our 2018 12 Days of Caravan-Serai Cooking recipe series. We hope you have enjoyed this year's collection, and please let us know if you tried one or more of the recipes and how they came out. We have had recipes from Iran, Morocco, Tunisia, general Middle Eastern flavors, and more.

Our last recipe is from Georgia, one of our favorite destinations in the Caucasus. The flavors of the Caucasus region are varied, even for such a relatively small geographic area. While the three countries we have tours to have some similarities or common ingredients, how they express themselves on the table can be surprisingly diverse! We hope you enjoy this last recipe for the year, a dumpling made with spiced ground meat and savory seasonings. It will warm you up on cold winter days!

We wish you and your loved ones Happy Holidays and a prosperous and joyous New Year!
CustomDivider.png

Khinkali - Georgian Dumplings

2C220F53-F484-4C92-9F94-B6AD51E770E9.jpeg

Khinkali, which is a Georgian type of Dumplings, originated in mountainous regions of Mtiuleti, Pshavi and Khevsureti. Later Khinkali varieties spread across the Caucasus region. They are made of mixed pork and beef, sometimes of lamb. Sometimes Khinkali are filled with mushrooms, potatoes, or cheese instead of meat.

To eat the Khinkali, you are supposed to hold the dumpling by the top nib, then bite into it and suck out the juices before eating the rest of the dumpling. Tradition is to not eat the top nib or knot and put that back on your plate (it will help you keep track of how many you have eaten!)

Variations of this dumpling can be made with a mushroom filling or potato-herb filling, or just about anything you can imagine! Enjoy!
CustomDivider.png

Ingredients
4 cups flour
1 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
8 oz. ground beef
8 oz. ground pork
2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
1 tsp. dried fenugreek leaves (available at Indian Foods Company)
1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chili flakes
3 small yellow onions, minced
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions
Stir together flour, salt, and 1 1⁄4 cups warm water in a bowl until dough forms; transfer to a work surface and knead until smooth, about 6 minutes. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate dough for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, combine beef pork, cilantro, fenugreek, chili flakes, and onions in a bowl until evenly mixed; season generously with salt and pepper, and set filling aside.

Divide dough into 25 equal pieces, and shape each piece into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll a ball into a 6″ round. Place about 2 tbsp. filling in center of round, and fold edges of dough over filling, creating pleats in dough as you go, until filling is covered. Holding dumpling in the palm of one hand, grasp top of dumpling where pleats meet and twist to seal pleats and form a knot at top of dumpling. Repeat with remaining dough rounds and filling.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Working in batches, boil dumplings until they float and dough is tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and serve hot. Season with black pepper.

Maro2Bear

10 Year Member!
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Beautiful view yesterday of the creeks and marshland areas that feed the great Chesapeake Bay. Although those yellow marsh grasses (Phragmites) look golden and beautiful, they have become invasive.
  • Phragmites outcompetes native vegetation and lowers the local plant biodiversity. Phragmites forms dense thickets of vegetation that is unsuitable habitat for native fauna. Phragmites displaces native plants species such as wild rice, cattails, and native wetland orchids.[6] Phragmites has a high above ground biomass that blocks light to other plants allowing areas to turn into Phragmites monoculture very quickly. Decomposing Phragmites increases the rate of marsh accretion more rapidly than would occur with native marsh vegetation
11708FC0-F682-4E75-BA20-97A8FE00125E.jpeg

Bee62

Germany

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Good mornoonevening all! Misty and Little Missy Kitty woke me up at 5:30a this morning, so I've got lots of time to sit here in front of the woodstove and read the Forum. I'm going to take the time to go back and listen to Sabine's songs. I think there were two of them that I missed because I didn't have the time.

Tim Carlisle

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Cincinnati, OH
Beautiful view yesterday of the creeks and marshland areas that feed the great Chesapeake Bay. Although those yellow marsh grasses (Phragmites) look golden and beautiful, they have become invasive.
  • Phragmites outcompetes native vegetation and lowers the local plant biodiversity. Phragmites forms dense thickets of vegetation that is unsuitable habitat for native fauna. Phragmites displaces native plants species such as wild rice, cattails, and native wetland orchids.[6] Phragmites has a high above ground biomass that blocks light to other plants allowing areas to turn into Phragmites monoculture very quickly. Decomposing Phragmites increases the rate of marsh accretion more rapidly than would occur with native marsh vegetation
View attachment 259558
We used to build tepee forts out of the phragmite when we were kids. Fun times!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Ok, to re-cap Carol M started the story, then paragraphs were added by:

Bee62
Ellie Mae
Momof4
Maro2Bear
Pastel Tortie
Kristoff
Yvonne G
Cheryl Hills

And Cheryl nominated @Grandpa Turtle 144 to write a paragraph.

Did I miss Linda? She was nominated way back at the beginning, and included a couple of re-caps, but I don't remember seeing that she wrote her paragraph yet?

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Morning All

I lived in Tbilisi Georgia for a few years and can personnaly attest to the s c r u m p t i o u s taste of these “dumplings” - our final recipe in this 12 days of Christmas recipe extravaganza courtesy of Caravan-Serai.

Welcome to our final day of our 2018 12 Days of Caravan-Serai Cooking recipe series. We hope you have enjoyed this year's collection, and please let us know if you tried one or more of the recipes and how they came out. We have had recipes from Iran, Morocco, Tunisia, general Middle Eastern flavors, and more.

Our last recipe is from Georgia, one of our favorite destinations in the Caucasus. The flavors of the Caucasus region are varied, even for such a relatively small geographic area. While the three countries we have tours to have some similarities or common ingredients, how they express themselves on the table can be surprisingly diverse! We hope you enjoy this last recipe for the year, a dumpling made with spiced ground meat and savory seasonings. It will warm you up on cold winter days!

We wish you and your loved ones Happy Holidays and a prosperous and joyous New Year!
CustomDivider.png

Khinkali - Georgian Dumplings

View attachment 259557

Khinkali, which is a Georgian type of Dumplings, originated in mountainous regions of Mtiuleti, Pshavi and Khevsureti. Later Khinkali varieties spread across the Caucasus region. They are made of mixed pork and beef, sometimes of lamb. Sometimes Khinkali are filled with mushrooms, potatoes, or cheese instead of meat.

To eat the Khinkali, you are supposed to hold the dumpling by the top nib, then bite into it and suck out the juices before eating the rest of the dumpling. Tradition is to not eat the top nib or knot and put that back on your plate (it will help you keep track of how many you have eaten!)

Variations of this dumpling can be made with a mushroom filling or potato-herb filling, or just about anything you can imagine! Enjoy!
CustomDivider.png

Ingredients
4 cups flour
1 1⁄4 tsp. kosher salt, plus more to taste
8 oz. ground beef
8 oz. ground pork
2 tbsp. finely chopped cilantro
1 tsp. dried fenugreek leaves (available at Indian Foods Company)
1⁄2 tsp. crushed red chili flakes
3 small yellow onions, minced
Freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Instructions
Stir together flour, salt, and 1 1⁄4 cups warm water in a bowl until dough forms; transfer to a work surface and knead until smooth, about 6 minutes. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate dough for 40 minutes. Meanwhile, combine beef pork, cilantro, fenugreek, chili flakes, and onions in a bowl until evenly mixed; season generously with salt and pepper, and set filling aside.

Divide dough into 25 equal pieces, and shape each piece into a ball. Using a rolling pin, roll a ball into a 6″ round. Place about 2 tbsp. filling in center of round, and fold edges of dough over filling, creating pleats in dough as you go, until filling is covered. Holding dumpling in the palm of one hand, grasp top of dumpling where pleats meet and twist to seal pleats and form a knot at top of dumpling. Repeat with remaining dough rounds and filling.

Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Working in batches, boil dumplings until they float and dough is tender, about 8 minutes. Drain and serve hot. Season with black pepper.

Ah, now you’re talking! [emoji16] Yum!!!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Ok, to re-cap Carol M started the story, then paragraphs were added by:

Bee62
Ellie Mae
Momof4
Maro2Bear
Pastel Tortie
Kristoff
Yvonne G
Cheryl Hills

And Cheryl nominated @Grandpa Turtle 144 to write a paragraph.

Did I miss Linda? She was nominated way back at the beginning, and included a couple of re-caps, but I don't remember seeing that she wrote her paragraph yet?

Linda wrote just before Pastel Tortie. We can revert to @CarolM! :)