COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Calm before the Storm here today. The “professionals” keep upping the predicted snowfall amounts we might see in our neck of the woods. Winter Storm warnings and advisories are in place. Folks flocking to grocery (and liquor) stores to stock up. Road crews are out “pre-treating” the roads. At least they have had a long lead time to prepare.

The birds must sense the impending storm as well. Our feeders are full of cardinals, blue jays, woodpeckers, chicadees, mourning doves AND 100’s maybe 1000’s of grackles that swoop in and out. Quite entertaining.

19DD32AB-1285-48FE-8D3F-9639835ACB66.jpeg
Mr Grackle

For those who are always interested in introducing pill bugs and such to their enclosures to clean up waste food bits, I routinely receive info from a company (ARBICO) that carries beneficial insects. One bug in particular “The Assassin Bug” sounds interesting. Lots of benefits to include all life stages are predatory.

85493B62-077D-40CB-AA34-875364E551AC.jpeg
The Assassin Bug

Heres their link - https://www.arbico-organics.com/cat...59001365&_bta_c=ja2a46gi224s7d564amrzsvvm01hq

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yes, but I really think that Adam was the instigator.

How are all you lovely people this fine Saturday morning? (or afternoon, or evening)

We had a pretty socked in fog this a.m. but it's starting to clear. Hopefully I'll get a lot of work done outside today. Tomorrow I'll be riding with an acquaintance to Bakersfield to pick up some tortoises. Someone in SoCal had to find new homes for her animals, and I'm taking two YF and a leopard for my own collections (hope I remember to update Sabine's numbers thread). The person I'm riding with will be picking up 7 or 8 hatchling desert tortoises. I really don't like to leave the property, and especially to go in a car on the freeway. But one has to do what one has to do!

I guess “lucky” you - more tortoises! I think (for now) our one Sully will suffice especially here in the Northeast. If/when we get to Florida I’ll be looking to get a Leopard. Sully keeps us busy for now.

I’m sure you will send updates with pictures. Safe travels away from the ranch.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Sooooooo, we’ve had this decorative wood trim for ages, but just never got around to putting it on the fireplace mantel. Wifey gave it a good coat of paint last weekend (or so) and today, it’s up. I still have three nails tacked in there holding it in place while the heavy duty wood glue cures. But, it looks good. One of those projects that you kind of put off, but only take a few minutes to finish up. I’ll remove the nails (soon) and give it a last final coat of paint, and viola, all done! A nice easy way to add some decorative splash to a plain area.

0FDB39C7-FACB-48AF-B9DE-0D2426EB7E33.jpeg

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Sooooooo, we’ve had this decorative wood trim for ages, but just never got around to putting it on the fireplace mantel. Wifey gave it a good coat of paint last weekend (or so) and today, it’s up. I still have three nails tacked in there holding it in place while the heavy duty wood glue cures. But, it looks good. One of those projects that you kind of put off, but only take a few minutes to finish up. I’ll remove the nails (soon) and give it a last final coat of paint, and viola, all done! A nice easy way to add some decorative splash to a plain area.

View attachment 262063
Very nice!!!!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Good mornooning, roommates!
I miss Linda @JoesMum not checking in early every morning. And Carol seems busy too. We get a bit of sunshine today. I’m loving it. It’s cold, but I’ll take that over darkness anytime.
Have a great Thursday, everyone!
It's Saturday today and so pretty. It's our first real snowstorm and freeze. I'm laying around watching like a possum.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

How are all you lovely people this fine Saturday morning? (or afternoon, or evening)

We had a pretty socked in fog this a.m. but it's starting to clear. Hopefully I'll get a lot of work done outside today. Tomorrow I'll be riding with an acquaintance to Bakersfield to pick up some tortoises. Someone in SoCal had to find new homes for her animals, and I'm taking two YF and a leopard for my own collections (hope I remember to update Sabine's numbers thread). The person I'm riding with will be picking up 7 or 8 hatchling desert tortoises. I really don't like to leave the property, and especially to go in a car on the freeway. But one has to do what one has to do!

You’ll be just fine and so will Misty. Just leave the tv on for her.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
It's Saturday today and so pretty. It's our first real snowstorm and freeze. I'm laying around watching like a possum.

Cathie....so you are up in Lancaster PA?

It’s just now starting to flurrie a bit down here. We’re all tucked in for a long Winter’s nap. Just covered my truck

.EEF4A0A9-22A6-49C7-9CA2-54A194EB4BCB.jpeg
Tucked in Truck

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Yesterday during our walk about the wildlife refuge we came across a tree that had fallen across the main trail and was subsequently dealt with by the refuge staff. Got home yesterday and I thought, hmmmmmmm, that was kind of a nice piece of hardwood and might make a nice “something” on the lathe. We have a ton of fsllen logs on our back lot, but mostly sappy pine.

Today, we made a quick trip over to fetch a piece. Impending storm might provide some quality shop/craft time.

The Pieces
3C8E50FA-98BD-4068-82E0-541D0FEC74A5.jpeg

The Source
A5901A79-636E-43C3-9776-CDD6D144C805.jpeg

Attachments

• 675E5A03-D773-4003-A883-D8583AC6F7BA.jpeg
    675E5A03-D773-4003-A883-D8583AC6F7BA.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 12

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Yesterday during our walk about the wildlife refuge we came across a tree that had fallen across the main trail and was subsequently dealt with by the refuge staff. Got home yesterday and I thought, hmmmmmmm, that was kind of a nice piece of hardwood and might make a nice “something” on the lathe. We have a ton of fsllen logs on our back lot, but mostly sappy pine.

Today, we made a quick trip over to fetch a piece. Impending storm might provide some quality shop/craft time.

The Pieces
View attachment 262086

The Source
View attachment 262088
So what is the piece telling you to make?

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Not sure yet. I tried one books sample and I didn’t like the narrator.

Plus, I’m a visual learner so sometimes I have to go back and reread who the characters are or just go back to refresh my memory and you can’t do that!

I also listen with headphones at bedtime and it puts me to sleep so you have to keep “rewinding” until you find where you think you left off.
I’ll listen in the car while waiting at school pick up.

My husband loves it but I’ll try a couple more books to see if I get hooked like he did.

I have never been able to get into the audio books myself even though I’m an avid reader. It really irritates me to get interrupted by anything while I’m in a good book, so I think that audiobooks are a way to read while your doing something else and I can’t focus like that..[emoji52]

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

It has been a nice but windy Saturday here. I have done some outside planting in what will be Toretto’s yard come spring. I went to the grocery store very quickly because my son actually stayed home with my friend Becky who is visiting for the weekend. I pampered all my critters some and now I’m making a nice pot of spaghetti with garlic bread. Very laid back weekend:) I understand not wanting to travel and especially not on the interstate. I find myself declining invitations to go out more & more & don’t mind a bit. I am excited to see your acquisitions from Bakersfield though.. I’m sure it will be worth the trip and hopefully not stress you to bad!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
I guess “lucky” you - more tortoises! I think (for now) our one Sully will suffice especially here in the Northeast. If/when we get to Florida I’ll be looking to get a Leopard. Sully keeps us busy for now.

I’m sure you will send updates with pictures. Safe travels away from the ranch.

So a leopard and a couple yellowfoots!!! You may be to busy for all that wonderful kayaking! Surely not, huh?? I really want to travel to Florida and purchase a Capuchin... I would never do it until I’m able to retire.... but it is actually a goal of mine:)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas

View attachment 262063

Really nice! Wish I had some of THAT kind of talent [emoji20]