COLD DARK ROOM

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Lancaster
Cathie....so you are up in Lancaster PA?

It’s just now starting to flurrie a bit down here. We’re all tucked in for a long Winter’s nap. Just covered my truck

.View attachment 262083
Tucked in Truck
I'm up. The snow was beautiful and deep. So I had to fill the bird feeder. Within an hour I got to see my first junco this year.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Calm before the Storm here today. The “professionals” keep upping the predicted snowfall amounts we might see in our neck of the woods. Winter Storm warnings and advisories are in place. Folks flocking to grocery (and liquor) stores to stock up. Road crews are out “pre-treating” the roads. At least they have had a long lead time to prepare.

The birds must sense the impending storm as well. Our feeders are full of cardinals, blue jays, woodpeckers, chicadees, mourning doves AND 100’s maybe 1000’s of grackles that swoop in and out. Quite entertaining.

View attachment 262055
Mr Grackle

For those who are always interested in introducing pill bugs and such to their enclosures to clean up waste food bits, I routinely receive info from a company (ARBICO) that carries beneficial insects. One bug in particular “The Assassin Bug” sounds interesting. Lots of benefits to include all life stages are predatory.

View attachment 262048
The Assassin Bug

Heres their link - https://www.arbico-organics.com/cat...59001365&_bta_c=ja2a46gi224s7d564amrzsvvm01hq
Yea they love to eat bugs...and they're constantly praying.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
How far is Alanya or Gazipaza away from where your old 4-legged friend lives ? I am asking because I knew a German organisation that takes stray dogs and cats under their care in an animal shelter. @Kristoff

Thank you, my friend. It’s a short plane ride or a long’ish drive away. My four-legged friend gets food and annual vaccinations and is generally looked after, but now not by me. I’m not convinced shelters are always better compared to a whole street of people who look after an animal. At least the shelters I know aren’t.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I love a good game of "play on words" even if the joke's on me. I especially love hearing about the experiences of real people. I've always been told I'm a good listener. What's amazing is they have someone to listen and I have gained more light.

Something to combine the two? Aha! I’ll remember to play the “broken telephone” on my birthday.
[emoji6][emoji847][emoji85]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
I do have to ask...How did you rescue the little critters?

They are long-standing residents of the CDR. Not sure how the hedgehogs got in. Our roommate @**debora** has two (?) super cute (and real) hedgehogs. We definitely try not to step on those, and not only for the sake of our feet. But I think she keeps them safe from us anyway. [emoji23][emoji8]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Wow, that was a short catch up. Happy Friday everyone. On the agenda today are the post office (hopefully my tortoise has arrived and some data loggers that I am expecting) and then dentist. Guess which one I am looking forward to. Have fun.
I gave montgomery a cuddle but he still misses Linda and Adam.

Hope at least one of the items on your agenda will give you a brilliant smile! [emoji85][emoji8]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Happy Friday!!! I’m off for half a day of work today and then One of my long time girl friends is coming to spend the weekend with me. Funny story how we met. I was staying with my mom about 10yrs ago while in the process of buying a house. She only had a couple acres and I had a temporary fence set up for my horse but I had to shovel poop daily so I didn’t mess her yard up. So one day I was outside shoveling poop and this short petite blonde lady walks over and without a word, just starts shoveling poop. I was shocked and asked “Lady, what are you doing” she replied “ the faster I help you get this poop shoveled, the faster we can have a beer and get to know each other” we have been friends ever since. ! Through divorce for her, marriage for me, and several states in between. Our daughters are the same age and grew very close as well..
I’m so excited!!!

Sounds like a great friend. Enjoy your catching up!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
It's Linhdan's birthday today. We haven't seen her in quite a while, however, it looks like she visited on 12/28. I don't remember seeing her then???? at any rate - @Linhdan Nguyen :

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

Happy birthday, @Linhdan Nguyen!!! Hope you visit us sometime. [emoji173]️

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Just back from a very cold walk at our local wildlife refuge. Lots of active birds, including a few very colorful pairs of American Bluebirds and a very active Red-Headed Woodpecker.

Mixed Beech Hardwood Forest

View attachment 261994

Very Very Tall Black Pine

View attachment 261993

A Frozen Goose Pond

View attachment 261992

Expecting close to 6 inches of snow Saturday into Sunday so we stopped by the local Home Depot to pick up some extra suet cakes.

Still no geese??