COLD DARK ROOM

CarolM

Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town
Good day all... good to see things are healing in the CDR. Lena’s voice is back so she’s able to type! I’m hoping Lyn is settling in and JoesMum’s cough has abated! Whew... then we have Ellie Mae on the mend.... but I think all better.

Already 40F here at 0600 with forecast highs for mid-60’s. With the icejam on the waters, the plan is to scout out a new area to hike @ Smithsonia Environmental Research Center (SERC) not too far from our house.

The birdies are up, singing and enjoying the heatwave....and I saw thst our Spring Snowdrops were blooming yesterday afternoon.

Hope the rains stop out West.....you all got a ton of rain and snow up in the mtns!
Sounds like all is coming right again.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good Tuesday All.

For a change I have been busy. Which was nice. So this is the first opportunity that I have had to come online. I have 15 minutes to go before I have to leave to go home, then it is the normal daily routine of sorting out supper etc. My torts are still wary of their new top walkway. So far only Rue has gone up, that I know of and then she did not want to come down. Lol. Hopefully today when I get home I can see if they have used it some more. There are a few more tweaks that I will need to implement, and then I am hoping that the gang and I will all be happy.

The gang say Hi:

upload_2019-2-5_16-23-19.png

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thank you!
I’m trying to find a water pump to use as the spitter.
Something like this.
We have an one , so we may take it apart so the water will flow thru.
I’m thinking of a farm type theme if you have any ideas.
We are going to wrap the pond in corrugated metal panels.
I don’t like the red landscape timbers.
View attachment 264105
It's not an old fashioned pump, but did you see the pond that one of our members in China recently put together? He used a small kiddy swimming pool, but the return water flows through a PVC pipe that is attached lengthwise along the rim of the pond, , capped on the end , with multiple holes drilled along its length. It looks pretty nice the way the water shoots out the holes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Poor Charlie. It’s sad he was left behind and without a home.

But now that he’s been inside, he might try to storm the gates again... Is Tony still around as well?
Yup, Tony is still my resident meany. But he seems to be settling. Doesn't seem to want to fight as much. Still fights, but not as often.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Good day all... good to see things are healing in the CDR. Lena’s voice is back so she’s able to type! I’m hoping Lyn is settling in and JoesMum’s cough has abated! Whew... then we have Ellie Mae on the mend.... but I think all better.

Already 40F here at 0600 with forecast highs for mid-60’s. With the icejam on the waters, the plan is to scout out a new area to hike @ Smithsonia Environmental Research Center (SERC) not too far from our house.

The birdies are up, singing and enjoying the heatwave....and I saw thst our Spring Snowdrops were blooming yesterday afternoon.

Hope the rains stop out West.....you all got a ton of rain and snow up in the mtns!

Goodness. Stay cool. A lemonade? [emoji23]
Would love some pictures of the snowdrops next time you run into each other. Especially if they run into you [emoji33][emoji33]

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
It's not an old fashioned pump, but did you see the pond that one of our members in China recently put together? He used a small kiddy swimming pool, but the return water flows through a PVC pipe that is attached lengthwise along the rim of the pond, , capped on the end , with multiple holes drilled along its length. It looks pretty nice the way the water shoots out the holes.

I didn’t see it. I’ll look in the turtle section.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We're supposed to have rain or showers for the next week or so. The reservoirs are mostly three quarters full and the snow pack (where we get our water from) is very good. So it looks like this will be a good summer as far as water is concerned.

@Maro2Bear your pictures are beautiful, and I would love to walk in those woods, but I'll take my mild winters anyday over your frozen ones. I don't like being cold (says she as she sheds clothing because the wood stove is cooking her).

I hope all you sickies are getting well. I wonder what's going on with @JoesMum . She said she's feeling better, then went silent.

Well, time for me to go prepare tortoise food. Later. . .

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Happy Tuesday everyone! All the projects I’m seeing in here has inspired me... I had promised myself that I would have a permanent outdoor enclosure ready for Toretto by spring but I couldn’t make up my mind where it would be or what I would use for fencing, etc.... His growth rate has really pushed me into action (and the sale Lowe’s ran on treated lumber) .. so Yesterday I went and bought supplies. Got a few more things today in between clients.. I didn’t manage much actual work yesterday but unloading that dang trailer was plenty. I also got the poles cut and a whopping 2 holes dug [emoji23]... Anyway... it’s progress. I should end up with around 2500+ square feet. It’s not actually a square area so I don’t know how to get the right measurement.. I’ll post pics when I really get going.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Happy Tuesday everyone! All the projects I’m seeing in here has inspired me... I had promised myself that I would have a permanent outdoor enclosure ready for Toretto by spring but I couldn’t make up my mind where it would be or what I would use for fencing, etc.... His growth rate has really pushed me into action (and the sale Lowe’s ran on treated lumber) .. so Yesterday I went and bought supplies. Got a few more things today in between clients.. I didn’t manage much actual work yesterday but unloading that dang trailer was plenty. I also got the poles cut and a whopping 2 holes dug [emoji23]... Anyway... it’s progress. I should end up with around 2500+ square feet. It’s not actually a square area so I don’t know how to get the right measurement.. I’ll post pics when I really get going.
Building pens has always been a lot of fun for me. Once I had them all built I was sort of at wits end wondering what I should be doing now.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

Yay!! Sounds like a great project!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Building pens has always been a lot of fun for me. Once I had them all built I was sort of at wits end wondering what I should be doing now.

I understand that.. I can’t be idle at all! I saw that you are not accepting any more tortoises this year. Have you many left to rehome still? I know that Dudley is “yours”... do you have others that are your pets? Did retiring leave a hole in your schedule? Sorry, I’m so nosy :)