Location (City and/or State)
South Africa - Cape Town

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Looking good. Can’t wait for more pix.

Thank you!
I’m trying to find a water pump to use as the spitter.
Something like this.
We have an one , so we may take it apart so the water will flow thru.
I’m thinking of a farm type theme if you have any ideas.
We are going to wrap the pond in corrugated metal panels.
I don’t like the red landscape timbers.
IMG_4460.jpg

AZtortMom

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sunny AZ

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I’m sure everyone is aware of greenhouse/hoop houses to grow greens in colder temps or to extend your growing season.
I saw this earlier on YouTube where a guy shows how well his greens held up during extended sub freezing temps the US experienced recently.

Hoop House Greens -

Our torts would love the green!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Sunny and warm here today unlike @Yvonne G in California. The problem is that our Polar Vortex FROZE all the local waterways.....and they remain non-navigable at least for small boats!

Took a drive today thinking i might be able to get out kayaking on a trip tomorrow, - nope..... ICE ICE baby.

Where I normally launch from...

View attachment 264098 View attachment 264095 View attachment 264096

A view from around the corner where I usually paddle. Just right of center, by that single pine stand, if you look hard, you can see a flock of Tundra Swans....honking like fog horns!

View attachment 264097
Hehehe...my animals love that song.

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Charlie is a big, orange stray that came to me about a year ago. He's a BIG, healthy cat that I found in the rain, sleeping in a 'nest' under a rose bush.

View attachment 264076 View attachment 264077 View attachment 264078 View attachment 264079 View attachment 264080 View attachment 264081 View attachment 264082
View attachment 264083 View attachment 264084

The lady who lived two houses away from me had died a year ago, Thanksgiving, and Charlie showed up at my house in December, so I just figured he probably had been that lady's cat and whoever took over the house kicked him out. He's obviously an indoor cat, and he had been neutered. He's very healthy-looking and had you can tell he was loved and very well cared for. Once I befriended him, he kept telling me that the outdoor life is not for him. The fourth picture is of me looking out my back door window and him saying, "Let me in, it's cold out here."

Well, he's lived here now for about a year, outside. This a.m. when I opened the front door to go out and get some wood for the fire, he RUSHED inside. He's never done that before. Meow at the door? yes, waiting at the door? yes, but rush inside? never. He's always been a gentleman. I guess he's decided that living outside when it's raining is not his thing. I let him stay inside for a little while, but it really upsets my resident indoor cat, Little Missy Kitty, to have feline visitors, so I knew his indoor time was limited. Trouble is, when I went to pick him up, the "gentleman" growled and spit at me. And he's so big, I didn't want to push my luck. So I got a can of cat food, showed it to him, opened the front door and set it on the porch. Being the foodie that he is, naturally he went out for the food!

Poor Charlie. It’s sad he was left behind and without a home.

But now that he’s been inside, he might try to storm the gates again... Is Tony still around as well?

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Sunny and warm here today unlike @Yvonne G in California. The problem is that our Polar Vortex FROZE all the local waterways.....and they remain non-navigable at least for small boats!

Took a drive today thinking i might be able to get out kayaking on a trip tomorrow, - nope..... ICE ICE baby.

Where I normally launch from...

View attachment 264098 View attachment 264095 View attachment 264096

A view from around the corner where I usually paddle. Just right of center, by that single pine stand, if you look hard, you can see a flock of Tundra Swans....honking like fog horns!

View attachment 264097

Sorry this polar vortex thing left your plans up in the air...

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Stopped by “The Feed Store” this morning after checking out the frozen water. We’ve been seeing bright yellow signs advertising this place...you know the flimsy cardboard type signs....Deer Corn...Free Range Eggs...Chicks, for some time but never pop in. Its just easier (and usually cheaper) to pick up bird seed and suet cakes from the box stores while shopping. Plus they have odd hours & days worked (only open Monday, Friday, 1/2 day Saturday).

Anyhow, I pop in, find some good black sunflower seeds, and all kinds of bird seed. I see too that they have mixed orchard hay/timothy hay bales for $9.00. Ive been buying 48 oz (1.2 kilo) bags of Timothy from Walmart for just about the same price as an entire bale! Sooooooo, a bale of mixed Orchard/Timothy is in Sullys future! /Side Note: their suet cakes for birds were twice that of Walmart/

On my way out...I say “So, ive noticed your signs and thought id stop in. How long have you been open?”
Owner replies... 43 years!

I think they need a better advertising team!

Ouch.
Glad Sully is getting a treat!

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Just another wet gloomy day for us too.
My weed seeds are finally starting to sprout! Yay!!
We worked on the pond on Sunday before the rain came. Spent about 1.5 hrs messing with the liner. It’s not perfect but we did pretty good for our first time. Thank goodness for YouTube!
I played mean grandma this morning trying to get saline in my grandsons nose. I felt bad holding him down but I remained calm and got the job done.

Trying to figure out a chicken & rice recipe for dinner.

“Mean grandma”?? I’ll take it with a grain of salt. [emoji6]

Kristoff

5 Year Member
Ottawa, Ontario
Good mornooning, roommates!
Quite suddenly I feel much better. Maybe the polar vortex from some of your corners resulted in freezing the pesky bugs? Or was it the magic properties of mead? No wonder the Vikings drank it and were generally considered big and healthy. [emoji23] Anyway, it’s good to be back (and have my voice too)! I might even start singing. [emoji33][emoji33]

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Good day all... good to see things are healing in the CDR. Lena’s voice is back so she’s able to type! I’m hoping Lyn is settling in and JoesMum’s cough has abated! Whew... then we have Ellie Mae on the mend.... but I think all better.

Already 40F here at 0600 with forecast highs for mid-60’s. With the icejam on the waters, the plan is to scout out a new area to hike @ Smithsonia Environmental Research Center (SERC) not too far from our house.

The birdies are up, singing and enjoying the heatwave....and I saw thst our Spring Snowdrops were blooming yesterday afternoon.

Hope the rains stop out West.....you all got a ton of rain and snow up in the mtns!

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
I’m sure everyone is aware of greenhouse/hoop houses to grow greens in colder temps or to extend your growing season.
I saw this earlier on YouTube where a guy shows how well his greens held up during extended sub freezing temps the US experienced recently.

Hoop House Greens -

Our torts would love the green![/QUOTE

Just shows you that with enough effort, anything is possible.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good mornooning, roommates!
Quite suddenly I feel much better. Maybe the polar vortex from some of your corners resulted in freezing the pesky bugs? Or was it the magic properties of mead? No wonder the Vikings drank it and were generally considered big and healthy. [emoji23] Anyway, it’s good to be back (and have my voice too)! I might even start singing. [emoji33][emoji33]
So when do we get the video of you singing?