COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Opo is doing good thanks. He has decided this year to go into these bushes to cool down. I posted a thread about them in another section. Yvonne gave me feedback. Her call would make the plants safe. My 2 possibilities say its poisonous. Here in Florida everyone has them in their front yard. What do you all think?
View attachment 272518 View attachment 272519

Does he eat them?

Our Sully was out wandering yesterday in our back garden. After about 10 mins of trapsing about, Sully picked a nice shady spot under one of our hydrangeas. Nice, warm, protected. Content - not devouring overhead plants.

Ogh, and to ur question - the Tortoise Table on hydrangea...says......NO! Hydrangea contains a cyanogenic glycoside that is TOXIC to all animals and can cause gastrointestinal upset and bloody diarrhoea.

Last edited:

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Opo is doing good thanks. He has decided this year to go into these bushes to cool down. I posted a thread about them in another section. Yvonne gave me feedback. Her call would make the plants safe. My 2 possibilities say its poisonous. Here in Florida everyone has them in their front yard. What do you all think?
View attachment 272518 View attachment 272519
Is that an umbrella tree/shrub?
The TT says it's toxic
https://www.thetortoisetable.org.uk/plant-database/viewplants/?plant=805#.XOF7J8hKhnJ

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi again, Lola has become very brave and is venturing further out into the garden,
It's not sunny today so he hasn't stayed long, but hopefully he is becoming more confident.
I have discovered a nest of moss carder bees under some moss on one of my plant pots.
They aren't as common as other carder bees apparently so I will leave them well alone to get on with their bee buzzness.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Last Wednesday I ordered something online that was coming from Minnesota. I've been following the progress on their tracking system (fedex). I think it's coming by covered wagon:

Thurs - Oklahoma, Fri - New Mexico then Arizona, Sat - Wasco, Calif., Sun - Stockton. It's only two hours away from my city now. I wonder where it will be tomorrow?
:D
They must be taking the scenic route!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Oooooh *SHIVERS*!!! That would be bad...son and I looked at the eggs last night and we had to throw one egg out that was bad but the other 5 are are little moving babies in there:) considering all the trauma those eggs have been through, 5outta 6 is an amazing success rate..........unless they’re aliens [emoji31]

I’m so excited to see what hatches!!

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Good Morning Lyn! (And everybody else)!!!
I am being slow and lazy this morning.. Birthday party went pretty good yesterday. We ended up with 16 extra children and the weather for once pleasantly surprised us! I think Ally had a really good birthday. She and her 5 girlfriends from the sleepover are still in the camper! I haven’t heard a peep since they got settled last night... it’s been AMAZING! I’ve got pigs-in-blanket and cinnamon rolls ready for the oven when they start filtering in. [emoji16]

I think I smell your breakfast!! Yummy!!

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
Hello?........ anyone there?.........
I’ve been lost in a corner somewhere for a couple weeks. It feels ages since I’ve been on here (probably a week ago):D

I’m might be looking after a five year old tortoise this summer. She’s a mix of a Greek and Tunisian tortoise but she’s doing well. The lady who put her up for adoption kept the parents together, a female Greek and a male Tunisian.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
How about armadillos? Are they a bother?

Hey Ray!!! I have only had 1 armadillo come visiting in all the time I’ve lived here. My dogs had it hemmed up so I rescued it and released it... it never came back... my brother and I used to play with them growing up but I don’t think I live far enough in the woods for them now...

I wouldn’t dare give my advice on your plants except that I wouldn’t feed anything that I wasn’t 100% sure of...

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Whew. HOT here today and rising temps. Close to 90 already and hotter tomorrow.

Our peonies that bloomed wonderfully well for US Mothers Day are looking very sad today. Wifey dead headed a good amount.

On the plus side, our Knock Out Roses are kicking in to gear now and will provide our sidewalk to fron door with some splashes of color through Summer. Banana trees are enjoying the heat too!

Knock Out Rose - May

1ECFEE66-FB6D-4678-85AA-A8B07DBD7519.jpeg

697D8EA3-C1BD-4396-98E0-00C68DE424D4.jpeg

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Hey Ray!!! I have only had 1 armadillo come visiting in all the time I’ve lived here. My dogs had it hemmed up so I rescued it and released it... it never came back... my brother and I used to play with them growing up but I don’t think I live far enough in the woods for them now...

I wouldn’t dare give my advice on your plants except that I wouldn’t feed anything that I wasn’t 100% sure of...

I don’t think Ray is feeding those ornamentsl plants, they just happen to be “in the area” where Opo roams.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Do you have to turn them to distribute the heat and spray them?
I used to have to go into school twice a day to do that when I first hatched eggs there as the incubator wasn't very sophisticated, clocking up almost 100 extra miles a week. Then I decided I would start them off in school and take them home until they were due to hatch, which was much easier and cheaper.

No, never worked that hard on birds! Years ago, when I raised a bunch, I had a cabinet style incubator that my boyfriend and my daughter who was 4 at the time built for me..it had a turner in it and I used a tray of water to control the humidity. It had one of the metal disc style thermostats but that was the hardest thing about it . I hatched lots of different type birds out of that thing. I stored it later when we moved here so I went and bought one when hubby found these eggs. It’s small but it’s so EASY. You just program it and it does everything. You have just have to add water daily... it even has a candeling light on it:)

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Does he eat them?

Our Sully was out wandering yesterday in our back garden. After about 10 mins of trapsing about, Sully picked a nice shady spot under one of our hydrangeas. Nice, warm, protected. Content - not devouring overhead plants.

Ogh, and to ur question - the Tortoise Table on hydrangea...says......NO! Hydrangea contains a cyanogenic glycoside that is TOXIC to all animals and can cause gastrointestinal upset and bloody diarrhoea.

I dug up 3 big ones along with several azaleas that were in Torettos yard and Transplanted them to the other side of my house. Surprisingly, they lived and all three have bloomed beautifully! There are a couple trees that I have yet to identify but I pruned the bottom of them just to be safe... I have several geraniums in there and he doesn’t touch them...

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Man I am missing all the action going on..
Spent time today twice responding to posts of new members needing help and welcoming them. I haven't done that in awhile. Felt good to do. Maybe later tonight I will try to catch up to you all.
Glad to see you are feeling up to that and trying to catch up too. There's so many posts though. I know I'm missing stuff so I just try to start where I left off while dealing with life in my home.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
You're right of course Lena, I only gave Eastern Europe as one example because I didn't have the time to expand (but I did add 'etc')
The voting system is very flawed in spite of changes to make it fairer. The people's vote shakes it up a bit now as it did last night.
I'm surprised the competition has lasted as long as it has!!
I couldn't see the show itself but I could see individual entries videos. I did like Israel's and Michael Rice's(UK). His music reminds me of Ed Sherron and he's done really well in the US. It's weird that we couldn't watch the show. There is even sites telling how to get past the block and watch anyway.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
A few weeks ago I touched the head of my aldabra Ma after I ate sausage with my fingers. The tort wants to bite my fingers ! If they know that they are hervivores ????? I am not sure.:mad: But I know that torts like to eat meat. Every protein is welcome.:confused:
I don't know. I've sat on the ground with him and watched him graze. He sniffs everything before he eats it. You would think he has a smorgasbord but that's not what he does. He is a Russian though and that's the only explanation I could think of. He's been like that since I got him.