COLD DARK ROOM

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Good afternoon, roommates! I was swamped with work, volunteering, and, well, migraines. Almost looking forward to the weekend for a change!

I accompanied daughter’s Year 2 as well as Year 3 classes to the Zoological Museum in Copenhagen. They have their own Diplodocus, much like the British Dippy, only called Misty.

View attachment 272979

It was discovered by a 13-year-old and his younger brother who had been sent away to “just dig over there” and not disturb their paleontologist dad.

The teachers then surprised me with a large and heavy gift as a token of appreciation. I very much want to keep it but am not sure how we can possibly take it to Canada:

View attachment 272978

The migraines are due to stress, exacerbated by an unpleasant situation involving some parents in our class—and me. A little private hell I brought upon myself. Serves me right for volunteering so much (and overestimating people’s intelligence). :rolleyes:

Sorry for being AWOL. Which, in Canadian English, seems to be AWL—from my reading this week. :)
Welcome back Lena!
Sorry to hear about the pains in the head and the butt!
Migraines are awful and I hope the situation with the other parents has resolved itself.
After 112 years Dippy has been replaced by a Blue whale skeleton in the NHM in London. He is currently doing a farewell tour of the UK visiting various museums.
I think the original skeleton is still in Pittsburg though.
That's a lovely gift from the staff - it's always nice to be appreciated. Such a shame you can't take it with you. Maybe you could donate it back to the school for them to use in their garden to remember you by!!
I hope you manage to have a peaceful and migraine free weekend!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Her previous owner kept two different Greek subspecies together leading to Margo, she was the only one to hatch so she’s quite special. The lady couldn’t look after them any more so she offered them to the breeder who raised mine, he could only take the parents so he gave me Margo:)
So Margo is a permanent addition? I thought she was just lodging with you for the summer.
She is lovely.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Guess what, Tangier Island now has WiFi internet and cellular service! Amazing. I brought my ipad thinking i could at least delete old pixtures and do house cleaning! But WiFi AND cell, wow! So, I’m connected.

I beat the rush of traffic over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and after that, very smooth sailing. No issues loading 28 kayaks onto the ferry or off loading on this side. But, very windy. Refreshing.

We went for an afternoon paddle...wind, sun, salt spray in the air. Warm brackish waters, filled with oyster beds, mussels, crabs and all kinds of birds. Wonderful vibrant green marsh grasses. We paddled enough to stretch out, get our things all wet and ready for a full day of paddling tomorrow.

Sun is still high at 1830. Time for a walk to the beach.
Sounds lovely - will look forward to the pics!

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Guess what, Tangier Island now has WiFi internet and cellular service! Amazing. I brought my ipad thinking i could at least delete old pixtures and do house cleaning! But WiFi AND cell, wow! So, I’m connected.

I beat the rush of traffic over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge and after that, very smooth sailing. No issues loading 28 kayaks onto the ferry or off loading on this side. But, very windy. Refreshing.

We went for an afternoon paddle...wind, sun, salt spray in the air. Warm brackish waters, filled with oyster beds, mussels, crabs and all kinds of birds. Wonderful vibrant green marsh grasses. We paddled enough to stretch out, get our things all wet and ready for a full day of paddling tomorrow.

I'm glad to see that area has internet, wifi, and phone service That's the one thing I love about the internet. It helps people to stay connected with friends.

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good afternoon, roommates! I was swamped with work, volunteering, and, well, migraines. Almost looking forward to the weekend for a change!

I accompanied daughter’s Year 2 as well as Year 3 classes to the Zoological Museum in Copenhagen. They have their own Diplodocus, much like the British Dippy, only called Misty.

View attachment 272979

It was discovered by a 13-year-old and his younger brother who had been sent away to “just dig over there” and not disturb their paleontologist dad.

The teachers then surprised me with a large and heavy gift as a token of appreciation. I very much want to keep it but am not sure how we can possibly take it to Canada:

View attachment 272978

The migraines are due to stress, exacerbated by an unpleasant situation involving some parents in our class—and me. A little private hell I brought upon myself. Serves me right for volunteering so much (and overestimating people’s intelligence). :rolleyes:

Sorry for being AWOL. Which, in Canadian English, seems to be AWL—from my reading this week. :)

IMG_2503.jpgI’m sending the troops to exact a little revenge on your esteemed parents of the class... you can see that they are discussing orders now... Karma is B!+€# !!!

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good mornooning one and all!! ! Just been cleaning monty and watching out for rhe pirate. 0240 and wide awake , up at 0700 for work

On the plus side i have lined up a date :)

Lol! Congrats on the date. But you better quit speculating on it and get some sleep! Priorities first young man!!! [emoji6]

EllieMay

5 Year Member
East Texas
Good night to all of you! I started work super early this morning, finished up by noon and then picked up son and headed to the Caldwell Zoo again. I visit every year at least, sometimes more. I took some photos and tried to combine them for a shorter post. IMG_2500.jpgIMG_2501.jpgIMG_2502.jpgIMG_2504.jpgIMG_2477.jpg
Last year, the leopard tortoise was housed with the Sulcatas. They moved him out and and a different one in this year.. lots of competition going on there :-(.

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego

Momof4

10 Year Member!
San Diego
Today we worked on the new enclosure and one of my reds started laying eggs in an area that wasn’t fenced where we were working.
It takes a couple of hours for the whole process and we had to leave for my daughter’s soccer game. I gave my son instructions and closed of the area the best I could . I saw four but couldn’t get the rest because we had to leave.
IMG_6414.jpg
View attachment 273029

Last edited:

Ben02

Brighton, Southcoast, UK
So Margo is a permanent addition? I thought she was just lodging with you for the summer.
She is lovely.
Yep she is now part of the family, the lady thought that the retirement home she was going in to allowed animals, turned out they didn’t. I’m glad I can keep her as otherwise she would of been in a tort table 24/7, with me she will be going outside nearly everyday.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
That's interesting. Are you going to try them in a flower pot? Over here, people use weed killer, or anything and still can't get rid of them. Now they sell organic dandelion greens in the grocery store for people...at a high price. I'm thinking stop poisoning your yard and you have free homegrown greens. Whatever...
Lol. My yard does not get any chemicals whatsoever. They do grow wild, just not when I try and grow them. [emoji15] [emoji20]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town

Yayyyy. Daily updates. [emoji3]

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Welcome back Lena!
Sorry to hear about the pains in the head and the butt!
Migraines are awful and I hope the situation with the other parents has resolved itself.
After 112 years Dippy has been replaced by a Blue whale skeleton in the NHM in London. He is currently doing a farewell tour of the UK visiting various museums.
I think the original skeleton is still in Pittsburg though.
That's a lovely gift from the staff - it's always nice to be appreciated. Such a shame you can't take it with you. Maybe you could donate it back to the school for them to use in their garden to remember you by!!
I hope you manage to have a peaceful and migraine free weekend!
Aaahhh so it is an actual bird cage. I could not tell from the picture.

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town
Good night to all of you! I started work super early this morning, finished up by noon and then picked up son and headed to the Caldwell Zoo again. I visit every year at least, sometimes more. I took some photos and tried to combine them for a shorter post. View attachment 273018View attachment 273019View attachment 273020View attachment 273021View attachment 273022
Last year, the leopard tortoise was housed with the Sulcatas. They moved him out and and a different one in this year.. lots of competition going on there :-(.
Awesome pictures. Are those tortoises rescues? And how is work going? Have they given you closure yet on what their plans are?

CarolM

South Africa - Cape Town