COLD DARK ROOM

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
I'd be happy if mine would just grow taller. Here's the starts @Turtulas-Len gave me a couple years ago (the picture is from right this moment):

The fence boards are about 5.5 inches wide, so this two year old start is a little over a foot tall:
View attachment 274873

This one is doing a bit better, a little over 2' tall:
View attachment 274872

Just when they start to take off it gets to be Autumn and cold weather and they die back.

Yes, ours used to look like that. Every year, larger and larger and larger.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Hahaha! That’s funny! About every 3 or 4 years, I share my birthday with dad. It’s always special because we are very close. Your right about the December birthdays being the worst though. Thanks for the sweet thoughts!
I have a terrible issues with December birthdays! Several grandchildren, sons, their wives, etc and Christmas too! I'm always late but happy birthday.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Send me a pic. I refer to myself as Jack of all trades master of none. I have always fixed repairs around the house. Built my first house at 21 and never stopped learning since. It was harder in the 80"s. You had to figure things out yourself or pry some info from a tradesman that didn't want to give his knowledge up for free. No Google back then.
It's funny because I'm so small the tradesmen always let me watch what they're doing. ..and seem like they're not annoyed when I ask questions. Sometimes it pays to look like a child because I glean a lot of valuable info.

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Grass cut, rosemary and unidentified bush in the front garden pruned back, bird feeders cleaned, a new feeder hung from the apple tree, red hot poker and peony dead-headed, cotoneaster pruned, and some weeding done :)

Oh and I caught up with the laundry too!

I’m hot and sticky, but need tea before I have a shower :D
This must be an exceptional Monday because despite the humidity...I actually did a chore I've been putting off for months. It was the effort.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Yes, the reason there's so much water on the cement around that stuff to the right of the tank is because the air valve gets gummed over with hard water minerals, so when it shoots out the air, it also shoots out water. Because of the way I water, it goes on and off then back on again faster than the water can drain back out of the pipes, so instead of air in the pipes, it's water. That's why the tank gets water logged.
If you can get me a pic of those labels on the tank it would help. Where is the air valve located? If that tank is a pressure tank there should never be water coming out of the air valve. There should be a rubber bladder inside sectioning the tank so one side holds air and the other side holds water. If the bladder gets a hole in it water enters the air side. The electric box in front. You notice a wire in conduit running over to the little gray box. That is your limit switch. There are different limit ranges but I will use a 30/50. Meaning when the pressure in the tank gets down to 30 psi the pump turns on. When the pressure builds up to 50 the pump turns off. With a pump going on and off either your pressure tank is bad or your limit switch. If you can get pics of the labels I should be able to find out what system you have.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
You probably can get a prescription from your doctor saying it's needed for your rehab, and then you can claim it as a deduction on your taxes.
I was thinking of trying my car insurance first. They paid to have my house redone for my needs. 70000 dollars worth. I am just a little apprehensive but all they can say is no.

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl

Cathie G

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lancaster
Lots of Russian torts being smuggled,

https://news.sky.com/video/4-100-smuggled-tortoises-caught-in-russia-11743717

The tortoises were put into sacks and hidden with several tonnes of cabbages. Their value was estimated at £62,000.
That's interesting...but either way my tortoise is a rescue. I've been reading that most of them on the market have been removed from the wild. My little guy wasn't doing well if he was wild...and he wasn't doing well if he was born and raised in captivity. I could have sent him back and got my money back maybe...but he would be dead by now and he's not. I really don't believe in removing them from the wild and wouldn't...but I don't think they are surviving very well in the wild either. I somehow feel that the smugglers have to be using local people to accomplish the smuggling. It's really sad that people have no idea that reptiles play such an important part in their own habitat. If there wasn't black snakes in Ohio? Would my home be overrun with mice or rats?...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA