COLD DARK ROOM

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Kent, South East England
Grass cut, rosemary and unidentified bush in the front garden pruned back, bird feeders cleaned, a new feeder hung from the apple tree, red hot poker and peony dead-headed, cotoneaster pruned, and some weeding done :)

Oh and I caught up with the laundry too!

I’m hot and sticky, but need tea before I have a shower :D

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Happy Monday

Just finished cutting the front lawn - hot, humid and nasty. Calling for some severe thunderstorms as the heat index builds.
The banana forest is loving these temps. I now have three separate stalks with bananas. Most we’ve ever had.

The Heat

View attachment 274857
You sure you don't live in Florida?

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
No pool! But i could sure use one.
I am thinking about a pool. Last year when we traveled to Michigan. I went in a pool for the first time after the accident. I was so elated from the release of pain I teared up a little. We were in St. Augustine a week ago and I used the pool at the hotel. Most are with a salt type water and your buoyancy is great.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Can you get a pic of the labels on it? Does it have a air valve like on a car wheel? It should be towards the top but look everywhere.
I think I know the problem but need some more info.
Yes, the reason there's so much water on the cement around that stuff to the right of the tank is because the air valve gets gummed over with hard water minerals, so when it shoots out the air, it also shoots out water. Because of the way I water, it goes on and off then back on again faster than the water can drain back out of the pipes, so instead of air in the pipes, it's water. That's why the tank gets water logged.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I am thinking about a pool. Last year when we traveled to Michigan. I went in a pool for the first time after the accident. I was so elated from the release of pain I teared up a little. We were in St. Augustine a week ago and I used the pool at the hotel. Most are with a salt type water and your buoyancy is great.
You probably can get a prescription from your doctor saying it's needed for your rehab, and then you can claim it as a deduction on your taxes.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
I'd be happy if mine would just grow taller. Here's the starts @Turtulas-Len gave me a couple years ago (the picture is from right this moment):

The fence boards are about 5.5 inches wide, so this two year old start is a little over a foot tall:
banana tree from Len 6-17-19.jpg

This one is doing a bit better, a little over 2' tall:
banana tree from Len 6-17-19 b.jpg

Just when they start to take off it gets to be Autumn and cold weather and they die back.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
In order to make bananas do the blossoms need to be fertilized by insects or birds or something?

Banana Flowers
If the banana plant has ideal conditions, it will grow a flower stalk 10 to 15 months after planting. It takes a further 75 to 80 days for fruits to mature. The flower stalk comes from the heart of the plant, showing as a elongate, oval, purple bud. It opens to show white, waxy flowers that are covered with green to purple hood-like bracts that fall off as flowers mature. As the flower stalk grows, it bends downward. The female flowers emerge first, and these are the ones that produce bananas. Sterile and then male flowers form below the female flowers, but these don't develop fruit and usually fall off. Because they don't need pollination, a lone "Cavendish" plant will produce fruit. After the plant is finished flowering and fruiting, it dies.